Can I keep this crab in my nano reef tank?

DottyClown

• SRC Member

Looks harmless. My previous tank was infested with these citters!

looks can be deceiving! I feel it's better to throw out any crabs which cannot be IDed due to the dangers. No one wants to see corals gone the next morning due to a silly crab!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• SRC Member
Manage to get some pics of its claws. Would this help ID it? I would hate to flush it down the drain, killing it.
I'm sorry bro, but it is 90% gorilla crab. Even if if is not it is a hairy crab, which isn't safe for tanks. Either flush it down the drain or give it to a mantis shrimp owner (crabs are a treat for them haha at least make it's life worth something :P). Trust me you don't want to play with this. If you keep it I'm very sure you would love to throw it out within a few weeks, and by then it would be hard to catch as it would be too familiar with your tank

• SRC Member

I'm sorry bro, but it is 90% gorilla crab. Even if if is not it is a hairy crab, which isn't safe for tanks. Either flush it down the drain or give it to a mantis shrimp owner (crabs are a treat for them haha at least make it's life worth something :P). Trust me you don't want to play with this. If you keep it I'm very sure you would love to throw it out within a few weeks, and by then it would be hard to catch as it would be too familiar with your tank

Please sms me at 8218 0808 if you intend to give/throw it away. I'm a mantis shrimp owner. :P

• Like 1

• SRC Member

The more I look at it, the more it looks like a species of Mithrax crab.

haha don't take the risk. If you want crabs buy crabs from people who have a full ID on them, and try not to keep hitchhiker crabs. But it's up to you haha I can't stop you, all I can do is advice you not to keep it! :) hope you listen and get rid of it :)