Algae Control

went

CF has many 0.5 inch ones... Bro, survival rate not high for such small tangs...

Aquamarine got a lot baby blue tang size like 20 cent coin.

Thank you very much bros, actually I want the baby blue tang to control the green hair algae on the rocks in my pico tank (30cm cube).

Do I have better choice? since the survival rate of baby blue tangs is not high and the Algae Blenny is quite big for my tank.

Thank you very much bros, actually I want the baby blue tang to control the green hair algae on the rocks in my pico tank (30cm cube). Do I have better choice? since the survival rate of baby blue tangs is not high and the Algae Blenny is quite big for my tank.
U can get a sea hare,my sea hare eats all types of algae,aquamarin has lots of it

• SRC Member

Thank you very much bros, actually I want the baby blue tang to control the green hair algae on the rocks in my pico tank (30cm cube).

Do I have better choice? since the survival rate of baby blue tangs is not high and the Algae Blenny is quite big for my tank.

That is probably the most irresponsible statement I have heard recently.

Using a blue tang to control algae in a 30cm tank?? Do you even know that a lot of tangs don't really eat the nuisance algae? And do you even know how much tangs love strong waves, one that your 30cm tank can nv provide?

There are tons of other methods like urchins, snails, ATS etc. not to mention using po4 absorbers, less feeding, etc etc.Read up please, then you will realize that your thinking is a big fail on so many levels...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 1

I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government. - Woody Allen

Ok... Lets not be too harsh on a newbie, we are all here to learn... Yes, tangs will not solve ur hair algae issues... Try getting a good cleanup crews instead... Seahare( but they can grow quite big), Turbo snails, blue legged hermits and red legged hermits are known to help control hair algae... And i say "help"... Cos these are only temporary solutions to ur hair algae problem... Try to find the root problem on why theres a hair algae issue in your tank. I believe u have a fairly new tank and its probly still cycling or just finished cycling, which is quite common to have algae issue during this stage.... Control your nutrients level and check on your water parameters, frequent water might be all it takes to solve ur problem... Good luck

• Like 2

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

Ok... Lets not be too harsh on a newbie, we are all here to learn... Yes, tangs will not solve ur hair algae issues... Try getting a good cleanup crews instead... Seahare( but they can grow quite big), Turbo snails, blue legged hermits and red legged hermits are known to help control hair algae... And i say "help"... Cos these are only temporary solutions to ur hair algae problem... Try to find the root problem on why theres a hair algae issue in your tank. I believe u have a fairly new tank and its probly still cycling or just finished cycling, which is quite common to have algae issue during this stage.... Control your nutrients level and check on your water parameters, frequent water might be all it takes to solve ur problem... Good luck

Try controlling the lights and PO4. I allowed the lights to be on for only less than 6 hours for 3 days and it works. For PO4, i even went down to water change, reactor and bio-pellets. On top of these, I went with a RO-DI unit for my tap water to reduce further.

Have kept a baby blue tang since he was a 50 cent coin size till now for abt 1.5 years its more than 4inch in length now. they grow fast and and till now i haven seen it eating any algae.

turbo snail and seahare can help but yr tank is only 30cm....

thus like what mikintosh mentioned u might want to look at yr photohours and water parameters.

Btw, my cleanup crew of Snails, Blenny and Hermit did not really help so you really have to start from the light and water.

Give Fauna Marin Ultraphos a try. A 1L bottle will last you a long long time. This product has solved many hair algae issues in tanks which were running mostly iron based phosphate removers.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• 1 month later...

from my experience with my 2 footer, we cannot only depend on livestock to take care of our algae problems for us. Because most of the time... they don't. We as hobbyist should get to the root of the cause of the algae. instead of thinking how to lessen the sight of algae, we should think about why the algae is there and what we can do to ever prevent it from appear again. otherwise it will keep coming back and worse case scenario tank crash.

Read up on the causes like phosphate, nitrate and other factors. Just like our fellow senior reefers have mentioned above.

good luck!