Totally new - Advise needed on budget and livestock

reefs

Hi,

I am totally new to this hobby, and I am planning on getting my first reef tank.

I have identified a suitable location at home, and figure that I would be able to get a 3ft x 1.5ft x 2ft tank. I understand that it is not a common size, so I may be willing to get that custom made. I would like to seek some advise on what kind of budget should I be looking at just for the custom tank + necessary filtration devices, etc. Just a rough gauge would be great as that would determine if my project can go ahead or not. Any advise of reasonable dealers would also be good.

Also, if I would prefer to only stock the tank with only tank-raised/farmed livestock, how realistic an expectation would that be? What kind of tank-raised/farmed livestock are available in Singapore?

Thanks.

• SRC Member

new for everything, looking at min $2K..

To customize tank, u can look for the sponsors in SRC like AquariumArtist, TheFishCHamel, etc..or Coral Reef Aquarium..email them for quotation..

alternately, u can look out for resale stuffs @ SRC pasar malam..budget will reduce by a lot..

For livestock, u got to ask the LFS..

Happy reefing..

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Supporter

Go for a minimum 2ft width if possible, if not rock scaping can be a challenge.

You can only find mostly tank raised clown fish in singapore.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• SRC Member

Yup the Atlantic glass industry near GO is cheap and good.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

Look like you are going for 1.5 ft width and 2 ft height.

Its better to be 2 ft width and 1.5 ft height.

2ft width easier to scape your rock scape and 1.5 ft height easier to do maintenace and coral placement.

because our limb is not so long

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Hi to give you a rough idea on the costs:

1. My custom 42cm cube tank 8mm glass, with cabinet, sump and pumping cost me around 700. For your size, I foresee will cost at least a thousand dollars.

2. Skimmer will cost at around 150 and above. I will recommend Bubble Magus for its lower cost.

3. A return pump, if going for eheim universal pump will cost at least $200. Jebao will be cheaper.

4. Live rocks will cost around $6 / kg.

5. Live sand at least $40 for 20/b for Caribsea.

6. A wavemaker should cost around $100 for WP40.

7. You will also need to get some test kits to measure your tank parameters, refractometer cost around $50 for measuring of salinity8. You will need salt mix to mix your own saltwater or you can buy Natural Sea Water (NSW) from LFS. usually cost $1 - 2 for 10 litres.

9. If you are using salt mix, you should get a RO/DI to ensure you have pure water that will not contain silicates. The RO/DI unit will require the replacement of the cartridges once they are exhausted and TDS will go up.

Hope my information is accurate.

Tank: 3.5ft x 2ft x 1.5ft, 12mm

Sump: 3ft

Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 7

Lightings: Maxspect 15000k

Return Pump: Eheim 1252

Wavemaker: Jebao WP25, Jebao RW-8

Hi all,

Thank you very much for all the kind advice.

Back to the drawing board to find a suitable location (if 1.5ft width is too narrow), if I extend to 2ft, means I need to get rid of my dining table, and I don't think my wife would be too happy with that! :)

Hi,

I may have found another suitable location in my flat to house a 2ft cube tank, however, that area does get some sunlight over certain months in the year. While I understand sunlight is good for coral, too much would cause the temperature to go up as well as algae to bloom.

I guess temperature can be controlled with a chiller, but is there anything that can be done to combat algae (apart from getting some snails or some sort)?

Guess I am now weighing the pros and cons of a 1.5ft narrow tank vs a 2ft wide tank, but will more sunlight.

Thanks all.

• SRC Member

I am facing the same issue as you. I can only go for 1ft depth and most senior here discouraged it. The only reason they all gave is scaping. Can I know apart from scaping, what other disadvantages are there in 1 or 1.5ft depth tank?

Bro, I m not senior..just sharing my thought..

for depth, there won't b a problem in term of space constraint..pro: the shallower the easier the maintenance..view from front n side will not b as good..its more for top view..good for sps, clams keeping..they do look better from top view..lesser cost in setting up too..no need such a strong light n wavemaker..shallow.tank not so much for FOWLR..

overall, it depend on what u want n what's ur budget..read n see more reefer's tank specs n photos to help u paint a better pictures of what u want..

happy reefing..

@ 291213

I'm no sifu or senior... IMHO, there is actually no rule to say that 1 feet depth is no good. It depends on what you want but it'll definitely look better if you are planning to have FOWLR. If you plan to have only fishes then it's really up to u.

• SRC Member

I'm no sifu or senior... IMHO, there is actually no rule to say that 1 feet depth is no good. It depends on what you want but it'll definitely look better if you are planning to have FOWLR. If you plan to have only fishes then it's really up to u.

Bro, shallow tank for FOWLR?..once again, it depend on individual..just to share, looking at fishes from a snorkeler's view n a diver's view..after looking u will understand what I mean..

For width wise, 1ft for FOWLR oso no problem..I have seen 10ft by 1ft by 1.5ft FOWLR tank..big fishes..very nice..

Happy reefing..

@ 291213

Bro, shallow tank for FOWLR?..once again, it depend on individual..just to share, looking at fishes from a snorkeler's view n a diver's view..after looking u will understand what I mean..

For width wise, 1ft for FOWLR oso no problem..I have seen 10ft by 1ft by 1.5ft FOWLR tank..big fishes..very nice..

Happy reefing..

Bro, I m not senior..just sharing my thought..

for depth, there won't b a problem in term of space constraint..pro: the shallower the easier the maintenance..view from front n side will not b as good..its more for top view..good for sps, clams keeping..they do look better from top view..lesser cost in setting up too..no need such a strong light n wavemaker..shallow.tank not so much for FOWLR..

overall, it depend on what u want n what's ur budget..read n see more reefer's tank specs n photos to help u paint a better pictures of what u want..

happy reefing..

• SRC Member

Yes, I want to see more reefer's tank. When you open house for me to see? LOL

Due to ID and space constraint in the position (no direct sunlight) I want to place the tank at home, I can only ideally have a 3/4ft x 1ft x 1ft. Unless I go sumpless. LOL

@ 291213

I am going to jump in here and recommend Coral Reef Aquarium at Eunos to customise your tank. These are my reasons:

1) They don't sub contract your work out. They order glass, trim/ drill them if needed, and their PRC workers silicone and assemble them, all done at Eunos. I have NEVER (I swear, never, and I have had tanks made by many others so called pros) seen any silicone work better than theirs, especially if you are running bare bottom.

2) They own the carpentry workshop too, which is just around the corner.

3) I had a tank done by them in July. The glass edges wasn't exactly super polished like I wanted and a few very minor modification to the cabinet (change hinge position). Dan Lee (the boss) redid the entire tank and cabinet for me, at no extra cost. Shockingly paiseh.

So I guess I owe them a few toots of the horn. Plus, you can still see my cabinet/ tank running freshwater at Eunos (the red/ white cabinet).

Materialism :- He who dies with the most toys, wins.