Thinking of changing LED back to MH + T5

sky007

Hi,

Has anyone changed their lighting system from LED to MH + T5? I am currently running Razor 160w x 2 but doesn't seems to give me the light penetration i want..Got some sps and clams in my tank and thought they will be happier with MH 250.

Cheers

• SRC Member

But LED penetration suppose to be very good, too good that those with success with LED normally hang up quite high from water level. At least 15-20 inches. And normally they tune their lights to blueish, between 14 - 20k.

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

hi, im sorry im new and cant post. If any of u have led light for sale do pm me. My tank is 1.5ft cube and currently using 2x ati but thinking of using led as long run will be more energy saving. Cheers:)

you won't get much views here so potential sellers may not even see this. It would be better if you try to keep alert on the pasar malam section, and when you pass the 100 posts mark you can make a wtb post. Good luck finding what you want fast:)

How depth is your tank? 2 razors should be able to cover a 4 footer without problem.

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

hi, im sorry im new and cant post. If any of u have led light for sale do pm me. My tank is 1.5ft cube and currently using 2x ati but thinking of using led as long run will be more energy saving. Cheers:)

My experience with LED has been that the potential cost savings as far are electricity is concerned is negated by the cost of the LED equipment and the repair costs when they get spoiled (which has been quite often). I don't know, maybe I suay. I have been using Maxspect G170W. Driver spoil, bulb spoil, etc etc, and all after warranty period ends. And the repair usually a few hundred bucks.

Trying to save peanuts but land up losing coconuts.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

I hope I'm not that suay. Anyway thanks for all the advise guys. Cheers:)

lol unlikely lah. The latest gen of led lights are pretty professional. If you get from the correct places your warranty can also exceed 2 years, but imo its unlikely you'll need it anyways, unless you're suay haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I am happy with T5 because it gives the colors to my SPS, the way most SPS keepers would want them to be. And with T5, there is no need to dial & adjust to the correct spectrum. T5 is super user friendly & with a good fixture, there is minimum heat transmit to the water. ATI sun power & ATI power module are good examples. A look at how they build & design their fixture, it is easy to know why minimum heat is deliver to the water.

• SRC Member

the only issue regarding t5 would be bulb changing, if you use good fixture like ATI fixture, bulbs changing would be required only every 9-12 months because of good cooling system they have.. fixtures like aquazonic that uses cheap ballast and no extra cooling would require changing of bulbs every 6 months.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• 5 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I Use 2x160Watt Razors too..With no problems..SPS Growing Really Well lps as well my tanks a 6x2x2..You can see on maxspect LED's FB the kind of SPS Dominated Tanks lit by it..really good..Also I Just Upgraded The Lens helps alot too..

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

I Use 2x160Watt Razors too..With no problems..SPS Growing Really Well lps as well my tanks a 6x2x2..You can see on maxspect LED's FB the kind of SPS Dominated Tanks lit by it..really good..Also I Just Upgraded The Lens helps alot too..

Sorry to hijack but how high is your light set above the water? I also have 2 160w over a 4 footer and the light spread isn't enough

• SRC Member

With a 2ft depth. The new lenses don't work as well as the original. It's not really am upgrade but rather another option. The original lenses is needed for viruses 2ft depth penetration.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

Sorry to hijack but how high is your light set above the water? I also have 2 160w over a 4 footer and the light spread isn't enough

1ft above The Water Level..

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

Ashwin's have enough spread because he placed it side by side hahah yours is front

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

• SRC Member

Ashwin's have enough spread because he placed it side by side hahah yours is front

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

owh Yah could be that also..haha..Trying turning them in one row