Corcea Clams

Morgan

Just got back from LCK FF. They have very beautiful green corcea clams at $25 a piece.

The colours are brilliant green. Definately top grade. Qty are limited less than 20 pieces.

Did not buy any because of space constraint in my tank.

Hmm...should pay a visit tomorrow there and see see.....

I also saw two Maxi clams (Green) in Seletar today selling at $80/- each. Is beautiful ! Very temping to buy too but due to my reef setup is not suitable for clams (I'm just using 4x 10K FL lighting system for my 4ft tank), so just brought the SW for my water change. :(

Yes, there have been an influx of beautiful crocea clams last Thurs.....

Would it surprise you if I said I didn't buy any because they weren't good enough for me? Hahahaha....

Anyway, I am pleased to know that you two didn't rush out to buy them because you knew that your tanks weren't suitable.

In the past I would have bought first and worry about lights later.... especially when good grade clams are hard to find.

Good example guys! ;)

But I hope eventually you'll have the means to upgrade to enjoy keeping clams in a suitable environment soon!

:)

• SRC Member
Just got back from LCK FF. They have very beautiful green corcea clams at $25 a piece.

The colours are brilliant green. Definately top grade. Qty are limited less than 20 pieces.

where is this place?

AT, Morgan would not have lighting problem. His 8ft tank is well setup. Just mine...... :( Anyway, you are right, I'm considering of upgrading to MH lighting system another few mth. time.

Raining today, dun feel like going out. Will visit LCK next Sat. Anyone...next week, Sat around 2 to 3pm, LCK?

With MH lighting, the choice of corals to keep widens...........................

Downside Heat your water......... Heat up your room

elect bill :angry: for chiller and lights

Ong maybe I'll see you there. How about checking out the other FF "coralfarm" after that.

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

okey can why not we can meet up some then go together, for those who drive can car pool those not driving? say meet up at CCK MRT or Yew Tee MRT then move on the Fish Farm on thos saturday abt 1:30pm @12/10? u guys got any comment or any thngs to add on?

Only on Sunday? Do you happen to know which tibs bus? Thanks

qixian

TIB service 925 operate on weekend to Sungei Buloh Nature Park. Just found out from their bus guide. Take the bus from Kranji MRT and get of at the Nature park.

You have to walk about 500M to get there.

• SRC Member

If you guys are going to LCK, must go over to LCK Lane 6F, No 60. Its called Coral Farm and its the biggest marine farm I have seen so far. Its at least 6-8 times bigger than Pacific Marine. They do only import and export but will allow individuals to go in (but the gate is closed at all times). Corals and fishes galore! For the fishes, the good thing is that many of them come in S, M and L sizes. Prices are great for some varities. Below are what I bought:

1. Flame Angel - S$36 (where to find such prices!!)

2. Small Hawaii Yellow Tang - S$25 (rare, LCK 110 will have their shipment in 2 weeks time).

3. Six line warasse - S$5.60

4. Finger Cauliflower (Pink) S$8.60

I saw Flame Hawk at S$90 and Small Blue Face Anger at S$60. Most of the fishes are from Hawaii.

Also recommended a special Damsel - light brown in colour and with a yellow spot. Very unique, never seen one before.

For Shrimps, they had at least 4-5 types, a couple I have never seen before as well. Wished I had a bigger tank, so many other varieties to choose from.

The down side is that its almost impossible find the place unless you drive or take a cab.

Haha! I bought 2 from them and they only have 2 left! Better grab before they are gone. These green and blue ones are sure hard to come by. Hong Leong also has but more expensive. As for the Pasir Ris farm, I swear never to go there again...such a rip off! The woman quoted me $60 for the clam smaller than the one at LCK!!

In any case, I know the guys at LCK...good friends...Tiny, Bac and Steve!

How can u tell whether it will be green colour (from top)? I just bought one and it look very luminous green from top but when i put it into the tank, it become dark blue colour? I have been trying to look for a green colour clam for quite some time (i already have 2 purple and 1 blue plus another blue now)..

• SRC Member

Clams are always best viewed from the top. Most of the colors are visible only if the clams are viewed from the same direction as the light that hits the syphonal mantle. There aren't any ways around it without changing the tank design or position of the light. Clams need lots of light and should always face up. Some compromise can be reached by using intense MH lamps, allowing the reefer to place the clams lower in the tank such that the colours can be appreciated. Clams that are green from the top always appear blue from the side.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Clams are best view from the top.

Alternatively, you can tilt the clams a little so as the coloured mantle is facing the front glass. Then you might be able to see some of the colours.

Lights is very important, if not enough they turn to brownish shade losing some of the blues or greens.

I really hope I can see the true colours of my clams through my starphire glass!

It's supposed to be optically clear... no green colour tint like ordinary glass!

chanbi

As what Tanzy posted, you have to view the clams at 90 deg to the mantle inorder for you see the brillant colours. This has to do with the way lights reflecting from the surface of the clam.

You have to arrange the clam in a way that the mantle is facing almost 90 deg to the front panel glass of your tank for the colours to show.

• SRC Member

Of course, if it is facing the front of the tank, it will get insufficient light in a normal setup.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Address

LCK 110 Neo Tiew Crescent

Near Sungei Buloh Nature Park.

There is a TIB bus on Sunday (What I was told anyway) but it is better to drive there.

Morgan,

I am a clam lover.

I was so excited hearing that these beautiful clams cost only $25.00.

Do you happen to have the contact number as I can contact them if there is any clams shipment in ?

I think I went to the wrong farm, Lane 6F, No 60. Its called Coral Farm

They were telling me that they do not bring in clams for sale.

regards