Are PLC lights suitable for reef tanks

I am wondering if PLC lights can be use for reef aquariums. I saw this GE PLC light with comes with 6500K daylight and produces 1200 linum (hope I spell that right). It uses 18Watt but it claims is equal to 75W normal lighting.

I am testing on my mushroom and they seem to respond well with it. Just tested for 2 days . .so far so good.

Please advise if it will work. If not . .i'd stop so that I will not kill my mushroom.

It cost only about $15 per set to set it up. Very cheap and can produce the ripple effect of MH. Looks nice.

• SRC Member

PLC? Programmable Logic Controller? :D

You must mean PL lights right? Well, PL lights are definately suitable for Reef setups. But 6500K is not enough. You'll actually need to get those that are 10000K. Ther are whiter and look better too!

Not sure about the 18W equivalent to 72W lightings part.

• SRC Member

18W of PL lights are too little for a tank even for mushrooms. It says it is equivalent to 75W of light, but what light? Usually they are comparing with incandescent bulbs and not other PL or FL. I've got a Philips Ecotone lightbulb at home that uses 20W but is equivalent to 100W. These are best left for home applications.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Thanks guys for the invaluble advise. But do they sell the 10000K bulbs ? So far i have only seen one that is 6500K. Will go hunting for it. If availabe will buy 4 sets of 10000K all put together to try on my hammer coral (my hammer is doing fine so far under FL lights 2 x 36W and 1 x 420nm blue light). I love the ripple effect. Hope could be a cheaper alternative to MH lights.

The mushroom is still doing fine under the direct shine of the PL light. But the leather coral i put beside it seem be all closed up and smooth on surface now. Wonder why. You think the light is not enough for the leather coral ?

• SRC Member

Well I haven't seen 18W tubes that is 10000K, but 36W 10000K tubes are very common especially at LFS that carry marine equipment and stock. Nature Aquarium has them and I saw them at Marine Life (Hong Leong) when I was there today as well.

• SRC Member

Hi,

Allow me to add my 2cts. 6500K and 7200K are considered daylight (more whitish). Those kelvins are actually terms for the temperature ratings for light. 10000K is more blueish in the light spectrum. Just like those incandescent light, its towards more reddish at a lower temperature ratings.

I read somewhere that marine creatures need more blueish spectrum, thats y need 10K lightings lor... m i right huh ? :)

• SRC Member

6500K is about the colour temperature of noon sunlight. It can be used for corals but some prefer to use 10000K because sea water filters off red light resulting in a higher percentage of blue light reaching the corals. It really is a matter of personal preference and aesthetics of your tank. Some people prefer very blue and some prefer yellow, as long as it is not cooler than 6000K it can be used.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

I'm only using one 6200K (philips light $2 only!) and a blue tube from sera. So far the coral seems ok with it except one leather :P

Will go hunt for the PL light at Nature...they quote me $100..for 3ft

Anyone know if the PL lights for 3 ft tank sold by Nature is good enough for reef?

10000K will produce ripple effect??? :blink:

• SRC Member

boxfish,

I do not know if their lights are good enough for reef, but i know its value for money.

You might like to ask them if the 3ft is using e-ballast also.

Also, you might like to check out Kelantan lane, for future light bulb replacement. I think its a couple of dollars cheaper.

;)

• SRC Member
I'm only using one 6200K (philips light $2 only!) and a blue tube from sera. So far the coral seems ok with it except one leather :P

leather...according to Coral Farm...only do well under MH...maybe someone would like to argue tat :o

to create the ripple effect i use 2 PL light set . .the same as those used in home .. in false ceiling, with 2 x 6500K daylight bulbs. My mushroom still doing well in that light . .so are the plants. But I am keeping my finger cross . . and observing very closely.

• SRC Member
today when to Nature to check out the PL light.

for 3ft light comes with 2x6500K PL is $100 and upgrade to 10000K is $120.

Is the Axxxxxx brand they are selling good?

Any where can get better price, whether same or different brand? :unsure:

You mean ATMAN? Its a double PL tube light set... silver with a sort of roundish top right? That's good. I'm using it. It also comes with a nice clear acrylic stand that raises the light by about 4 inches above the tank. This spreads the light a little more and keeps the water from heating up too quickly or even too much.

I don't know what the others think, I highly recommend it. I'm using it both for my FW and SW tanks. But I think its a little pricey...