Anyone heard of Majestic Shrimp?

marcvelous

• SRC Member

Hi all,

Recently saw a good-looking species in Sealife and after much deliberation, decided to get one even though I cannot seem to find any information about these (as what they tell me) Majestic Shrimps.

Can anyone enlighten me in what are these actually? Anyone knows the relevant information like scientic name, diet, nature, etc? EVen better if you can locate a URL with this information for me to read up and learn.

Would like to know more to keep mine healthy and happy.

Don't ask for pic as the fella keeps hiding in a little cove in a corner of my tank. Never came out even once (not even when the lights are off) so near impossible to take pictures. Is this behaviour normal?

BTW, I do not have any predators in the tank. All peaceful fishes. Have cleaner and fire shrimps though.

Thanks!!!

• SRC Member

Body light orange with lateral pinkisk stripes. Pincers are purple.

The others I saw in the shop are more orangey-red with light tint of purple.

Mine's more unique among the stock they have in that it has more purple and body is lighter in colour.

Been hiding in its cove for two days already

• SRC Member

If I'm not wrong:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...d=23&pCatId=555

or

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...d=23&pCatId=548

They come in many colours. Mine's purple. They are basically very shy creatures. If got a lot of LRs, they'll hide and you might not be able to find them. Although they are shy, they'll take on anything that disturbs them.

I tried using a chopstick and it attack it..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Those two species are what I managed to find on the Net too!!!

In fact went to Sealife 3 times before I decided to buy. First two time to get a better look to try and ID and do research.

Mine (or they) look more like the Debelius' Reef Lobster but the body's got stripes instead of spots. Asked different people in the shop whether it is the Debelius' Reef Lobster or not but they insisted it is not lobster but Majestic Shrimp. :huh:

Any experts been to Sealife recently or going can help to see and ID? :thanks:

Was hoping too to get the Debelius' Reef Lobster or the Red Hawaiian Reef Lobster so that can help to burrow the sandbed. :P

• SRC Member
Is it something like this?

if it is the one shown in the pic...this is one hardy shrimp to me....

eat anything like bine shrimp, mysis and market prawn...

was attacked brutally by one octopus come "free" from LR till both pincer and one side of the legs gone! when it was new and small ...but it survive and after molt all legs and pincer come back! ;)

the longest surviving animal in my tank for 1.5yrs.

now it has grown quite big so nowhere to hide and I can see it all the time..though partially hidden except feeding time :D

• SRC Member
Those two species are what I managed to find on the Net too!!!

In fact went to Sealife 3 times before I decided to buy. First two time to get a better look to try and ID and do research.

Mine (or they) look more like the Debelius' Reef Lobster but the body's got stripes instead of spots. Asked different people in the shop whether it is the Debelius' Reef Lobster or not but they insisted it is not lobster but Majestic Shrimp. :huh:

Any experts been to Sealife recently or going can help to see and ID? :thanks:

Was hoping too to get the Debelius' Reef Lobster or the Red Hawaiian Reef Lobster so that can help to burrow the sandbed. :P

they are roughly the same. In fact there is no such info on so called Majestic Shrimp.

And they do not burrow in sandbed. They hide in crevice of LRs.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/