methods of transfeering arowana

19percula

• SRC Member

as above

does anyone know wat is the safest way to do so

coz i m shifting house and would love to transfeer my arowana to a new tank

know that is one medicine that can make the fish drowsy and therefore can transfer easily but afriad that the fish afther that cannot wake up then die liao

pls advice

thanks

• SRC Member

I think you need professional help if your arowana is bug because the fish is very strong. My friend told me you need to put the fish into sleep before you can transfer the fish.

You may want to try arofanatics.com where the experts are.

• SRC Member

iif it a big aro u have to make it drowsy

den place a bag in the tank slowly guild it into the bag

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

what i did previously while moving my 1.5ft .. i dose less than recommended stablizer, after 15mins I put my plastic bag in the tank and juz slowly 'chase the aro in ..

than pump & wrap ..

the stablizer only help abit most impt it doesn't really jump/bang/run after dosing .. neber try dosing more .. dun know if it will make it 'SLEEP' or not ..

shifting my LH to expo last year oso same method .. it works quite safe dun worry ..

mydog.gif

• SRC Member

bro ozy tried to register wif arofanatics.com but was rejected coz of email problem btw most fish shop advice me to use the medicine to make the fish drowsy

bro sunny is that the only way?

u tried before?

safe?

u know i don want to lose a expensive fish

thanks for info

• SRC Member

bro nicky know that after u dose the fish

u have to wipe its body wif a clean towel then place it in the tank wif new water again

the part where u wipe the fish body i think is the most diffcult

most fish shop who recommend me the medicine don give me any assurent

• SRC Member

that wat i did to transport more den 1.5ft of koi lol

more or less the same most important is like nicky said have to make the fish sleepy and guild the fish into the plastic bag.

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

Sorry, can't help much. I know of a very very nice golden arowana at a fish shop along upper changi road (fresh water). I have chatted with the owner before and he said that he has had the fish for over 5 years. Maybe you want to chat up with him. I will try to get the address for you.

He seems like a pro because from his setup and the fish, can tell.

• SRC Member

the medicine/chemical u're talking about is transmore. dun reccomend u to use it unless u're performing minor surgery and no other way but to knock out the fish. transmore will make the aro feel shitty and aro's color will fade for a few days(hope they'll come back!)

overdose and he might never wake up!

best way to transport is still to use huge plastic bag and guide the fish in and bag it. better still use what they call "prawn bags". they are huge and cost more $$$. but more space for the aro..

• SRC Member

I did this last year when taking my aro out for gill curl operation. Lower the water level to one whereby the aro has not much room to manouver. Place some of this water into the fish bag. *I got my bags from Aro Pacific, I used 2* Then slowly guide the aro into the bag but be patient and not rush it. If not, it will get very jumpy and cause injury to itself.

Try not to drip the transmore directly on the aro's body. Aim for the space (water) around the fish and slowly add few drops at a time. Swirl after each time and see the fish's response for a few mins. Starve the fish one or two days prior to the move so that it does not vomit. The aro is ready when it flips belly up. Another way to tell is to lift up the aro and see whether will it struggle or flip. The fish should still be opening and closing its mouth and breathing.

Kevin

Life is a Cruel Teacher. It punishes you first and then gives you the lesson

• SRC Member

Bro, I did the hardest way. I transfer the whole tank with the arowana still inside it. The height of the water inside that tank was a bit higher than the height of my arowana. It was a silver arowana and gave it away together with the tank to my relative. It took ard 6 guys to transfer the whole tank from the 2nd storey down to the carpark and up the lorry. That was ard 8yrs back. Now that I had moved to a higher storey, 11th floor up, I dread if I should have to move house again, now that I have 3 planted tank. Er and no I did not use the 'sleeping medicine'. Hope this helps somehow.

• SRC Member
Bro, I did the hardest way. I transfer the whole tank with the arowana still inside it. The height of the water inside that tank was a bit higher than the height of my arowana. It was a silver arowana and gave it away together with the tank to my relative. It took ard 6 guys to transfer the whole tank from the 2nd storey down to the carpark and up the lorry. That was ard 8yrs back. Now that I had moved to a higher storey, 11th floor up, I dread if I should have to move house again, now that I have 3 planted tank. Er and no I did not use the 'sleeping medicine'. Hope this helps somehow.

Get a big plastic bag and dip it inside ur tank slowly, let ur arowana swim into it then get it out. This way there will be minimum damage to ur arowana.

• SRC Member
Get a big plastic bag and dip it inside ur tank slowly, let ur arowana swim into it then get it out. This way there will be minimum damage to ur arowana.

yea i do tat wen transferin too....n since u goin to shift house i guess u gotto cover the plastic bag w newspaper so it in total darkness..... dun feed it few dayz b4 n after the transportation..... some ppl dun on the light after transfer for few dayz too...1 more thing make sure the new tank is cycle too!!!