First saltwater tank

alooooha

Hey Guys,

Thankful that we have such forum locally which provided me with so much great information. After gathering the information needed to start a marine tank over the past 6 months and with the liking of nano tank look, I started my first 16L marine tank :yahoo:

Gonna share my journey here and hopefully can pick up more advice from the gurus!

Picked up minimal rocks and trying to keep it neat.

post-19766-0-60395600-1410336515_thumb.j

After 1 day of cycling

post-19766-0-59209400-1410336532_thumb.j

I am thinking of adding either of the three shrimp as cleaning crew in a week's time but not sure if they does the cleaning work properly?

• Thor amboinensis (Sexy Shrimp)
  • Periclimenes brevicarpalis (White Spot Anemone Shrimp)
  • Ancylomenes pedersoni (Pederson Cleaner Shrimp)

Learnt that Sexy Shrimp & White Spot Anemone Shrimp always stay around anemone and if i have a clown fish in the tank, it will not tolerate shrimp in their anemones and will kick the shrimp out. Anyone can help to advise on this?

• SRC Member

Let the cycling continue for few more weeks. Keep testing your ANN till you get 0 0 <20 before adding any LS. Your light might not be strong enough for anemone tho. And pay attention to the flow rate too.

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Looking good bro! Congrats on yr new tanks.

I agree with andtsg, one week is a bit short for a cycle. Especially so if you intend to add sensitive creatures like shrimp.

My sexy shrimp will stay ard the coral they prefer but they will also wander off in search of food. My clown doesn't bother them though.

4032134229021418s_zpsx5nrshsi.JPG

Yeah, will monitor the temperature and water parameters. Thanks peeps.

Snoopyhamburger: Haha. Somehow it does look like. Left a little hole for fishes to hide inside .

Btw, I am seeing this white transparent stuff on the rock and wonder what are they. After removing part of it, it grew back the next day. Any help here?

post-19766-0-03266200-1410575618_thumb.j

post-19766-0-63478900-1410575640_thumb.j

I m also hving those skins stuffs, i thought it was because I cured my live rock soak in white vinegar, hv u done this? Or my salt mix were not long enough to dissolve...no idea..,

Will get some test kits to find out later..

my iq5 tank also is cycling in 3 weeks and dosing microbacter7,

Me also new to this hobby and hope someone will kind enough to shed some lights...

pls share your tank journey, waiting here....thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Yeah, will monitor the temperature and water parameters. Thanks peeps.

Snoopyhamburger: Haha. Somehow it does look like. Left a little hole for fishes to hide inside .

Btw, I am seeing this white transparent stuff on the rock and wonder what are they. After removing part of it, it grew back the next day. Any help here?

attachicon.gif20140912_162916.jpg

attachicon.gif20140912_180426.jpg

Hey bro i had the same problem, went to a lfs and was told I probably overdose bacteria. I reduced my dosing and the white stuff reduced significantly too!

Just have to keep reefing... cant stop now~!

What r u using to cool ur tank?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.