My slice of nature

SubzeroLT

• SRC Supporter

Porcelain crab was released on an anemone under a rock but it didn't like it. It moved to another anemone that was facing higher flow. Cute little chap.

Extending its mouthpiece to filter food from the water.

P3110229.jpg

Something about it :

- Porcelain crabs are fragile creatures & will shed their limb to escape predators, hence the name

- The 2 large claws are for territorial struggles (eg. fighting with a clown fish over an anemone). They are not used for feeding.

- They are filter feeders, utilizing their feathery mouth parts

- Not a true crab. True crabs have 4 pairs of walking legs. Porcelain crabs only have 3 pairs.

P3110361.jpg

I'm off on a one week trip next week. Targeting to let the tank run on its own as much as possible in prep for longer trips in future.

Auto feeder finally installed.

P3110531.jpg

One new & one 2nd hand Jebao dosing pump set up.

P3110536.jpg

Red Sea Color additives stored in this trash bin

P3110535.jpg

Covered with an Ikea side table ($12.90), just in case my cats topple the dosing pumps.

P3110539.jpg

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Supporter

Regarding Jebao DP4 dosing pump ; some folks say its great value for money, some say they give up on it because accuracy is poor.

My opinion on its functionality

- Able to keep its time / program in memory despite power is cut. Surprisingly, some other brands lose the time

- Accuracy is OK for larger volumes (eg. 10ml dose or more). Its possible to recalibrate but rather troublesome.

- Accuracy is poor for small doses. For example, I get a dose of about 1.8ml when I program it for 1ml. And roughly 2.8ml when its programmed for 2ml. This is consistent with both dosing units (from 2 different batch)

Set for 10ml dose. Obtain just slightly shy of 10ml

P3110271.jpg

Set for 1ml dose. Obtain about 1.8ml

P3110272.jpg

• SRC Supporter

Yo bro. U might want to put a feeding tube under the auto feeder, else the pellets might be suck into the overflow before ur fish has a chance to eat them.

Nice tank

Thanks. I'm still monitoring if my set up works.

But you are right that sometimes the food remains floating on the surface. Thanks for the suggestion on the feeding tube. I didn't think of it & may get it.

Since i have the Apex Neptune, this what I'm doing :

- During feeding time, turn off return pump, skimmer & wave maker

- Wait 1 minute (for the water level to drop below the overflow level). Then activate auto feeder

- Wait 3 minutes. Turn on wave maker to agitate food on the bottom of the tank or on the surface.

- Wait 1 minute. Then turn on the return pump, skimmer again.

- Done 3x a day (equivalent of 1 pinch of pellets each time. Morning, afternoon, night)

• SRC Member

But you are right that sometimes the food remains floating on the surface. Thanks for the suggestion on the feeding tube. I didn't think of it & may get it.

- Wait 1 minute (for the water level to drop below the overflow level). Then activate auto feeder

- Wait 3 minutes. Turn on wave maker to agitate food on the bottom of the tank or on the surface.

- Done 3x a day (equivalent of 1 pinch of pellets each time. Morning, afternoon, night)

_-" or u can buy a feeding station, turn on auto feeder and forget all about it...

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Re-did the mesh over the aquarium using thin fishing line (0.18mm thick). $5 for this reel.

They had thicker fishing line (line tennis string) but that would be unnecessary.

PC292342.jpg

Spent an hour :wacko: running a square mesh + diagonal around the egg crate.

This will suffice for now...functional.

Peace of mind that fishes won't jump out. And most importantly to keep them safe from accidental suicide.

PC292340.jpg

PC292343.jpg

bro, can i know how you tie?

individual line you cut off and remake?

Or all is one single thread?

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Sea Hare munching on seaweed tied to a rock

P4110219.jpg

Something luminous green is growing next to the Yuma. I'm not sure if its a 'baby yuma' but thought they reproduce by splitting in the middle.

P4110228a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Some equipment updates :

Swapped out the refugium's UP Aqua white LED to a 20W CFL grow light from megaman.

P4250307.jpg

Skimz calcium reactor with Caribsea coarse media in the main chamber.

Caribsea fine media in the secondary chamber in an attempt to maximize reaction to bring pH back up.

I still have excess fine ARM media available. PM me if you want to buy a portion of it.

P4250306.jpg

T- off water supply for the calcium reactor

P4250304.jpg

• SRC Supporter

Nice set up for the calcium reactor, and good media choice! Haha ur sump so congested! Upgrade!

Yeah...the sump is so cramped now compared to day 1.

Will upgrade once I get the hang of the hobby a little better.

I wonder what's the right time to switch on the calcium reactor? 24/7? Or only during the day time?

Bro may I know which LFS u buy from , for ur jebao return pump . Cause I need 1 too . And the cost around ?

I got my DC6000 from DE Aquatic.

List price is around $165. Some shops occasionally give a small discount.

Some equipment updates :

Swapped out the refugium's UP Aqua white LED to a 20W CFL grow light from megaman.

P4250307.jpg

Skimz calcium reactor with Caribsea coarse media in the main chamber.

Caribsea fine media in the secondary chamber in an attempt to maximize reaction to bring pH back up.

I still have excess fine ARM media available. PM me if you want to buy a portion of it.

P4250306.jpg

T- off water supply for the calcium reactor

P4250304.jpg

Let me guess, Ah heng gave you the idea?

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

Erm... Which idea? Also Who is Ah Heng?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think he's referring to Ah Heng from AM.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.