Reef tank care while on vacation

Anyone know what i should do or get before going on vacation? I'm going to get a light timer, is there anything else i can do to ensure nothing dies? I have a flame angel and it has yet to eat my meaty lps, I'm afraid if i don't feed it while I'm away it might start eating them. is an automated feeder necessary? And is an auto top off necessary as well?

Auto top off ensures that the amount of evaporated water (usually just H2O without the salt) is replaced by fresh RoDi water. This helps to maintain the salinity in the tank. Most tanks can live through evaporation for a few days but if your travel is 5 days and more. It will start to get dangerous.

Autofeeder is needed like what other Bros have said.

Chilled with temperature control would be good too. Usually when we are out of the house, heat starts to build up. With heat building up over 5 days, the tank's temperature will really shoot up to dangerous levels. That's why a chiller is good to help maintain the temperature. But it will also be good if a small window (toilet window) can be left open for circulation of air.

If your skimmer cup is small, see if u can create a secondary collection cup to prevent overflow.

• SRC Member

NPS Coral - feed them double the freq before your trip

Light - reduce the period by two hours, one in the morn one in the evening. To reduce algae

WC - double your freq two weeks before your trip

Fish - feed them fat fat before your trip. Half the amt using auto feeder during your trip.

Filter - wash and change them before your trip

Skimmer - connect output to a pail

* glue all ur coral so that they wont fall. Else two weeks down under = come back collect body

* pre mix some saltwater so that you can immed change water after your trip.

I have suvived three two weeks trips in last four months, casulties become lesser and lesser. This trip i loss only 0.10 of a gonio... hair algae poking it.

Bought a ATO and one ATS LED to DIY ATS. hopefully next trip can be better prepared.

• Like 2

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014