Increase in people giving up marine aquarium

i really hate people who set up an aquarium for the fun of it and when they get too lazy to clean or find that they cannot maintain it, they just give up like nobody's busines.

but do these people realise that they are putting a fish's life or even the seemingly daed looking coral on the line? do they realise the trouble to catch (or even breed) these livestock before they even enter the shops? NO

worse still, they join SRC unknowingly that the motto is "responsible reefkeeping".

and not only people, shop owners plunge into this area only to find that they cannot use traditional methods to keep these livestock. this results in so many FW turned Marine shops having dying stuff. worse if the owner teaches newbies hoe to set-up or gave the green light to buy an anemone afer 2 days of cycle.

it really pains me to step into a LFS and see corals bleached, clams with damaged bassal "foot" or fishes lying one side up on the bottom of tanks. something really has to be done.

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

I got a feeling its due to army intake... have to go army so no time to maintain .. ;)

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

dear experts , one say that it is not true . if your tank got ich in it , come and go even though u maintain the tank properly , that it. it will cause a massive headache to see your fish got ugly iches, then fishes die. that headache can cause u to quit . another is a sea anemone dies, then release poison or other creature release poison , then it all remove your fishes and corals . another one is sudden important to do. lets say NS or overseas commitment. the world family must go overseas for a month. what that fellow going to do ? put auto stuffs or let his frend take care. u think they can be trusted?

• SRC Member

seriously surprised if more were to quit :sick::sick: .....as for me i teach my family members wat to check n do wen im on holiday.......any abnormal in the tank....tey wil kal my mobile..... ;);)

• SRC Member
i really hate people who set up an aquarium for the fun of it and when they get too lazy to clean or find that they cannot maintain it, they just give up like nobody's busines.

but do these people realise that they are putting a fish's life or even the seemingly daed looking coral on the line? do they realise the trouble to catch (or even breed) these livestock before they even enter the shops? NO

worse still, they join SRC unknowingly that the motto is "responsible reefkeeping".

and not only people, shop owners plunge into this area only to find that they cannot use traditional methods to keep these livestock. this results in so many FW turned Marine shops having dying stuff. worse if the owner teaches newbies hoe to set-up or gave the green light to buy an anemone afer 2 days of cycle.

it really pains me to step into a LFS and see corals bleached, clams with damaged bassal "foot" or fishes lying one side up on the bottom of tanks. something really has to be done.

agree with blueheaven

but I think nothing should be done as even government can do nothing. so who are us?

btw all those excuses saying this and thatfor dying stocks are just lame reasons to tell out. before going deeper into anyhting, we must know the consequences. dont rob a bank and then give a reason that you are forced. no judge will listen but instead they will give a heavier sentence.

• SRC Member

Agreed totally with blue heaven! Seen some of my colleagues buy marine fishes based on cuteness factor and letting them die; they overcrowd and do not kow what the fish require, but because they only cost a few dollars, just keep going out and replacing them month after month... :angry::angry::angry:

• SRC Member

totally agrees!! some shops are just interested to seel and earn quick bucks .. they dun even have proper lightings for the corals,

before i started my hobby, i take 5 yrs to considered before i dare to start, and the reason i have the courage to start is becoz of SRC. a place for ppls to share their experience.

and to be double sure that my tank is ready, i let the water cycle for 3 mths, tested the water and everything is okay.. then i start buying fishes and corals ..

sometimes, we see nice corals die in other's hand.. quite hurtful

• SRC Member

agree agree..so we should encourage more ppl to quit reefing..heh

ive been in this hobby for 3 years...decided to leave reefing now..will maintain only a fish..

• SRC Member

Well i hope these ppl who take up marine because its a fad will give up anyway.. too many LS dying in ppls tanks and they keep stocking up and replacing the dead ones without considering why it died in the first place.

Also, i hope it will result in a lot of LFS which is not really serious shutting down and thus saving the lives of the LS which continually dies in the tanks.. very very disheartening when i go around and keep seeing dead stuff in a lot of tanks at the LFS

• SRC Member

This hobby is juz as expensive as a regular golfer would pay for Golfing as per reef manitenance. Equipment wise, reefing is more expensive. You can get very good Golf equipment with $5K, but for a 4ft tank, you probably end up more than $10K for complete equipment setup without LS - specific to a SPS reef.

Who can affort this longterm......not much......Maybe I will convert to fowler tank before retirement to cut cost...............take out chiller, CR, MH ..................talk about savings.

The amount of SRC visitor have reduce by at least 50~70%?

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Max

• SRC Member

pardon me..abit off track....so far...I see those I know...all down size.... and 1 or 2 due to overseas work committement...

for me, i still waiting for my 5 feet to be ready....

Tank: 5 X 2 X 2.5

Sump : 3 X 1.5 X 1.8

Tunze 6060

Tunze TF08

Oceanrunner 6500

Deltec AP 902 Protein Skimmer

I-Aquatic Calcium Reactor

Arctica Chiller

The thought of those Luo Han FS coverting to a Marine FS scares me.

I personally heard one FS advising a newbie that the cycling process only takes 1 week and you throw in hardy fishes like damsels to test if everything is ok. Then you can start throwing in corals etc.

They said you need to test water salinity but did not provide advise on testing for Ammonia, NO2, NO3 etc.

Very irresponsible and out for $$$. Everything is almost certain to die. Only then the newbie will feel conned. Possibly the damsel might survive.

Who knows? $$$ makes the world go round.

• SRC Member

it not dying.. its just picking up...

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member
The thought of those Luo Han FS coverting to a Marine FS scares me.

I personally heard one FS advising a newbie that the cycling process only takes 1 week and you throw in hardy fishes like damsels to test if everything is ok. Then you can start throwing in corals etc.

They said you need to test water salinity but did not provide advise on testing for Ammonia, NO2, NO3 etc.

Very irresponsible and out for $$$. Everything is almost certain to die. Only then the newbie will feel conned. Possibly the damsel might survive.

Who knows? $$$ makes the world go round.

the LFS near my place even told me to forget about cycling.....just keep throwing damsel into the tank until one survive.....you can then start adding other fishes!!!!

• SRC Member
but with AVA giving trouble I dont see any chance of coral booming in sg..

I see more of marine fish only booming..

not trouble lah.. just cracking down on illegal importers..