Crab in my LR

Got a crab hiding in my LR. I am sure it came with those rocks that I bought from SL.

I do not have a good chance of taking any pic cos this guy's always hiding, only appears when the light's off or no movement around.

It is grey in color that camouflages well with the LR. About 2x2 cm.

The problem is that I suspect it killed my Candy shrimp cos I ever saw it attacked my unwary damsel that comes close to it when the light's off. Luckily damsels are alert & agile lot, not to mention aggressiveness.

Should I get rid of it or leave it alone ?

Is it beneficial in a community tank. Or else I am thinking of Chilli crab for this CNY eve's dinner...... :evil::bow:

Suggest that you remove them. Those killed a couple of my snails and was dumb enoughto leave the shells outside their lair.

Took 4 of them out over the weekend, but is backbreaking work to dismantle everything and scape the rocks again.

Get it once and over with.

• SRC Member
Got a crab hiding in my LR. I am sure it came with those rocks that I bought from SL.

I do not have a good chance of taking any pic cos this guy's always hiding, only appears when the light's off or no movement around.

It is grey in color that camouflages well with the LR. About 2x2 cm.

The problem is that I suspect it killed my Candy shrimp cos I ever saw it attacked my unwary damsel that comes close to it when the light's off. Luckily damsels are alert & agile lot, not to mention aggressiveness.

Should I get rid of it or leave it alone ?

Is it beneficial in a community tank. Or else I am thinking of Chilli crab for this CNY eve's dinner...... :evil::bow:

During the hour of darkness, use some prawn meat as bait, tie to the trap and lower it near where it is last seen. (like those pple use to catch big crabs one). Sure catch! :P

dino07.gif

Anyone has a good design for a DIY crab trap to share?

I've seen how the crab points its legs towards my clown as it swims closely by! Is that an act of hostility or is he waving to say 'hi'? My (unwanted) crab is also peeling and eating the tube of my feather duster worm. To my horror parts of the tube now looks translucent. :cry:

• SRC Member
There is this table to drop into the table for crabs to eat !

once they eat they will die :):D:D

like those use for killing rats and ants ! :sick:

seen them before at pet mart *serangoon north ave 1*

woonming

:nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::evil:

Crab eats table :blink:

So how big should the table be ?? :P

kekekeke........ :lol:

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

i caught the crab in my tank wiff my bare hands...

wait till lights out...

slow approach it, they tend to stay still hoping u dont see em..

then wiff the speed of a bruce lee punch, grab it by the body

and squeeze the s*** out of him...

• SRC Member

I've seen how the crab points its legs towards my clown as it swims closely by! Is that an act of hostility or is he waving to say 'hi'? My (unwanted) crab is also peeling and eating the tube of my feather duster worm. To my horror parts of the tube now looks translucent. :cry:

This is how I use to catch them.

1) tie a net underneath so that your catch won't slip off.

2) Tie the four corner with fishing line so that the trap wont tilt while you try to bring it up.

3) Place a small piece if meat (wrap with net to prevent your shrimp from hijacking) onto the ctr of the trap)

4) Wait ..............

post-6-1043857771.jpg

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

Its a surprise that while we are all removing crabs here, henry from marine life says he actually do not care about them and leave them in his tank to do tidying up... he says the crab would not touch the corals and harm the livestock if it is not too big... :eyeblur:

When i was listening to him at his shop, this crab came out of hiding from one of the 1.5ft display tank and waved, perhaps saying thank you to henry for not killing him... hahaha :lol:

As in to believe him or not, I still think better not to take chances.... heh heh :eyebrow:

• SRC Member
Its a surprise that while we are all removing crabs here, henry from marine life says he actually do not care about them and leave them in his tank to do tidying up... he says the crab would not touch the corals and harm the livestock if it is not too big... :eyeblur:

When i was listening to him at his shop, this crab came out of hiding from one of the 1.5ft display tank and waved, perhaps saying thank you to henry for not killing him... hahaha :lol:

As in to believe him or not, I still think better not to take chances.... heh heh :eyebrow:

to each his believes ..... :lol:

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

My belief..... KILL :evil::evil:

The last time round I had to dismantle my tank just to catch one cute crab that later turned into a monster as it grew!!! Coincidently. I no longer have any episodes of missing fishes!

Got a fright when I saw one small cute one again a few days back but fortunately, it decided to konk off before I took action.

• SRC Member

Actually the water condition crabs can survive in is quite bad.. Overfeeding tanks, dirty waters blah blah.. If your water is clean, the crabs that comes along with your LR will die off soon.. Give it a week or so..

Thank you guys for all your CRAB stories... I mean true experiences...

Decided to go ahead the WAR with that crab of mine. No UN can stop me now...

Initially thought of letting it grow bigger, probably > 1kg ??? before slaughtering it for Chilli Crab.... :angry:

Dinosaur: Your trap works!! Thanks for the idea. I have just sent 1 hungry crab on a roller-sewer ride! :evil:

My variation: I sandwich some brine shrimp in between 2 small pieces of netting (to prevent the bait from floating away) and secure it using 2 rings (ala those wooden rings used for stretching cloth in embroidery) cut from mineral water bottle.

The difficult part is the waiting :snore:

• SRC Member

Hi: use a glass tube(test tube) about 10cm long. place some shrimp at the v botton of it. Locate the opening of the tt to the crab hidding place. When they crawl in to take their meal and it will be to difficult from them to crawl up again. Easy to catch don't need to spend time waiting. just wait up every morning collect you carb. Must try :evil:

Wangjo: dont worry :angel:

• SRC Member
Dinosaur: Your trap works!! Thanks for the idea. I have just sent 1 hungry crab on a roller-sewer ride! :evil:

My variation: I sandwich some brine shrimp in between 2 small pieces of netting (to prevent the bait from floating away) and secure it using 2 rings (ala those wooden rings used for stretching cloth in embroidery) cut from mineral water bottle.

The difficult part is the waiting :snore:

Glad to hear that :lol:

erm ......... you mean you have doubt prior to that .... :blink:

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

Hi: use a glass tube(test tube) about 10cm long. place some shrimp at the v botton of it. Locate the opening of the tt to the crab hidding place. When they crawl in to take their meal and it will be to difficult from them to crawl up again. Easy to catch don't need to spend time waiting. just wait up every morning collect you carb. Must try :evil:

Wangjo: dont worry :angel:

Sounds like a improved version. Will try out once there is opportunity. :D

dino07.gif