Can advise why cleaner shrimp is dying 1 by one?

All,

I bought 2 medium sized cleaners from a LFS approx 10days ago. 1 died after 6-7 days and the other followed yesterday. I actually noticed that it is not feeding properly in the morning before it died on me.

My other shrimps are doing ok and feeding well and growing in size. Water parameters are all ok as well. Could it be any disease? What could be wrong?

Can anyone advise?

My LS are as follow and their age in the tank:

2 Medium FireShrimps. (21days old)

3 Cleaner Shrimps (2Medium 10days old and 1 small 14days old)

2 Small ###### Shrimp (21days old)

2 True Perc Clown (21 days old)

1 Fire goby (3 days old)

1 Princess Anthias (7 days old)

• SRC Member

What exactly are the water parameters?

I see that you have added in livestock quite quickly within the last 14days.

14days ago, you added in a shrimp, then 4days later in went 2 more shrimps. 3 days later, in went an anthias followed by a fire goby 4days later. Maybe the quick addition of livestocked caused bacteria to be unable to cope, resulting in a ammonia/nitrite spike.

I'm just speculating, not sure if i'm right too :fear:

• SRC Member

14days ago, you added in a shrimp, then 4days later in went 2 more shrimps. 3 days later, in went an anthias followed by a fire goby 4days later. Maybe the quick addition of livestocked caused bacteria to be unable to cope, resulting in a ammonia/nitrite spike.

I'm just speculating, not sure if i'm right too :fear:

yup, i think bro Kalib is correct...by adding too much too fast will create water parameter inbalance...perhaps by the time u check the cycle had already completed..try adding 1 LS per week. someone even suggested before to add 1 LS per month, u might wanna try by i think your eagerness should definitely overcome your patience, juz like me.. :paiseh:

Normally I'll add the LS slowly. While the LS still in the plastic bag, I'll introduce some of my tank water into the bag at 1/4 for 5 mins to 10 mins to let climatised with the tank water. After abt 30 mins or so, I put them in. This will not shock them too much.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

I do agree that I am an impulsive buyer and need to curb that bad habit of mine :sick: . Its like resisting a temptation and addiction esp when my tank is so bare.

I current have 12KG of LR in my 2.5 by 1.5 by 1.5 FT tank and have gotten another 10KG more cured LR to hopefully improve the situation.

There will be no LS addition for the next 10days or more.

• SRC Member

I'm just speculating, not sure if i'm right too  :fear:

you seem to keep track on posts.. :P

Wah 10 day no add LS?!.. :P

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
Normally I'll add the LS slowly. While the LS still in the plastic bag, I'll introduce some of my tank water into the bag at 1/4 for 5 mins to 10 mins to let climatised with the tank water. After abt 30 mins or so, I put them in. This will not shock them too much.

He did that too.. I believe he acclimatize them even longer..

BTW I never did acclimatize my shrimps (Fire shrimp, Anemone shrimp, Cleaner shrimp, Camel shrimp, Harlequin shrimps, Purple Lobster). Living happily.. and always hungry too <_< ..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member

Too many inverts went into the tank over a short period of time. Did you check your iodide? Inverts need them to molt. Not enough iodine during molting can cause death.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member
Too many inverts went into the tank over a short period of time.  Did you check your iodide?  Inverts need them to molt.  Not enough iodine during molting can cause death.

I dun like the feeling of playing around with iodine.. heard of drastic cases of overdosing iodine. I never did dose any iodine and my inverts always molt without any problems..

just do regular water change.

• SRC Member

I must say that cleaner shrimps are one of the most delicate shrimps species.. of course besides emperor shrimps which are highly impossible to keep..

What surprised me most is that the small sized cleaner turns out to be the more hardy one.

Both medium sized cleaner gone liao! I acclimatise everyone for like 1 hour mixing the LFS water with my tank water about 10% at a time.

Thought bigger should be more hardy?

Also, are you sure your Salinity is really at 1.023? And not lower? Are you using Refractometer? Check that. Most shrimp will not tolerate low Salinity .

My plastic hydrometer will give a reading +/- 0.004. I throw mine away and brought the refractometer. What a wise investment. Take me 2 secs to check.

• Sponsor
All,

I bought 2 medium sized cleaners from a LFS approx 10days ago. 1 died after 6-7 days and the other followed yesterday. I actually noticed that it is not feeding properly in the morning before it died on me.

My other shrimps are doing ok and feeding well and growing in size. Water parameters are all ok as well. Could it be any disease? What could be wrong?

Can anyone advise?

My LS are as follow and their age in the tank:

2 Medium FireShrimps. (21days old)

3 Cleaner Shrimps (2Medium 10days old and 1 small 14days old)

2 Small ###### Shrimp (21days old)

2 True Perc Clown (21 days old)

1 Fire goby (3 days old)

1 Princess Anthias (7 days old)

I don't think its your water that caused the death of your cleaners since they only die after about a week in your tank and the rest of the inverts are doing well.

I think their deaths lies with either predation or they came from some dodgy source. Do they have ample rocks to hide in or take cover? I don't know how big or small your tank is but so many shrimps together does not make the most condusive living environment for them.

In the meantime, do nothing. Do not add anymore LS or dose anything. Wait a few days and see if anymore of your cleaners die. If they all die, it woud point to the direction of dodgy livestock. If some survive, it could have gotten over whatever ailment it had contracted and it should be fine. You also need to observe if any of the other shrimps are harrasing your cleaners. Stress leads to death too.

Water parameters are fine as measured again.

Thankfully all other inverts (2 Medium Fire shrimp, 2 small ###### and 1 small cleaner) are looking healthy and feeding properly. The other LS are ok as well. :peace:

I am not dosing anything yet and am keeping close observation.

Before their death (2 Medium cleaner), I have 12KG of LR in a 2.5 by 1.5 by 1.5 ft tank. Since that I have added another 12KG of cured FIJI KR making it to 24kg of LR with more places to hide. Hopefully this will stablise. I dont want to cause more deaths.

Not adding more inverts at least for another month.

Thx for all your advice and tips.