Ohf ?

Hi ppl .

Would like to know anyone here keep sw tank with ohf ??

Seems like everyone is using sump or ios.

As my current tank is ohf set up theres no way i can convert to sump tank.

Will i be able to use ohf for my tank.?

6ft 2ft 1.5f--》height

Current ohf is 6ft 3tier.

As for what am im keeping , i don dare to go too complicated as i have no experience in sw tank. All i can think of now is 50% live rock 50% dry rock. Sand bed ..

Coral wise most likey easier coral for begainner..

Anyone have sucessful reef tank with ohf? Can share share ur experience .

Thank you ppl beli the much

Just be hard working to change the filter wool etc to prevent it from being a nitrate/nitrite factory. Keeping sw, is not just using mechanical filter, u may need to get a skimmer unless yr system is super established that skimmer is not required but always good to have it.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

It really depend on what r u gg to keep..any pic of ur OHF? Coz I read that the size is 6ft 3 tier which is quite big in my view..the cons of OHF is unable to house equipment like skimmer, reactor, etc.. what's the pump rate of ur OHF?

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

Hi ppl .

Would like to know anyone here keep sw tank with ohf ??

Seems like everyone is using sump or ios.

As my current tank is ohf set up theres no way i can convert to sump tank.

Will i be able to use ohf for my tank.?

6ft 2ft 1.5f--》height

Current ohf is 6ft 3tier.

As for what am im keeping , i don dare to go too complicated as i have no experience in sw tank. All i can think of now is 50% live rock 50% dry rock. Sand bed ..

Coral wise most likey easier coral for begainner..

Anyone have sucessful reef tank with ohf? Can share share ur experience .

Thank you ppl beli the much

Your current set up is more suitable for freshwater. Change to a tank with sump will save u alot of headache. If u use your current setup, within 3 mths u will give up.

• SRC Member

It really depend on what r u gg to keep..any pic of ur OHF? Coz I read that the size is 6ft 3 tier which is quite big in my view..the cons of OHF is unable to house equipment like skimmer, reactor, etc.. what's the pump rate of ur OHF?

If u dont even know how a HOF look like, u sure u know how it works? Tell u pump rate got use? LOL

• SRC Member

If u dont even know how a HOF look like, u sure u know how it works? Tell u pump rate got use? LOL

Haha bro..imho, there shd b different types of OHF so interested to see this long OHF..:) interested to know the pump rate of this big OHF too..hahaha

Although OHF is not feasible for SW, but there are SW tanks that run without sump or skimmer or chiller or blah blah blah and still ok.. there is really no definate in life yea :) cheers

@ 291213

Yes this tank i had is last time keep arowana 1 ... and just by keeping fw already i don like the Ohf as it looks damn ugly...all the dirt that traps in the tray...

Ita really head pain for cleaning it if keeping salt water...

I belive the tray small holes will get blockage by salt ....

As my main concern is this 2 tank is quite new and in good condition . I wish i could buy new tank but u know the IO in the house making tons of noise due to too many tanks if i get another tank...

By the way thanks everyone for advise ...i will reconsider should i go into salt water tank:(

Because it's a 6 feet I think U could get away with just the Tank, without any sump or ohf. U need lots of rocks , and lots of wavemaker and a deep sandbed.

Cycle well and use the prodibio system.

The trick is to control live stock and feeding and maybe frequent water change.

Good luck..

Stairway to Heaven

Emm bro i got such huge tank cant be i keep 2 clowns nia.. im sure at lease gonna have quite an amount of small medium fish maybe add up go 20 pcs or 25 pcs.

And i think without filter is a way no no ... its very risky as no filtration... it have high chance water get spike by lots of things..

The rocks,sand and bacteria are the filters ... Clearly u need to do more reading ..

U have a ohf to store media for bacteria to grow , coz an Arowana tank is bare without any rocks or stuff in there.

But marine tank has rocks sand where the bacteria can grow and thrive .

So what ever u had in the ohf when u kept arowanas are now in the tank when u do marine.

Stairway to Heaven

The rocks,sand and bacteria are the filters ... Clearly u need to do more reading ..

U have a ohf to store media for bacteria to grow , coz an Arowana tank is bare without any rocks or stuff in there.

But marine tank has rocks sand where the bacteria can grow and thrive .

So what ever u had in the ohf when u kept arowanas are now in the tank when u do marine.

Xiggie is right . In marine tank , live rock is the filter lol. The only thing the guy need to worry about is that algae growing over the pores of the rock that's why xiggie recommend him to get more rock. Well for nitrate wise wc is the only way to export it unless he put plants in the dt (hopefully no fish eat)

This is a signature : hi

• SRC Member

Ok bro CODDY TAN, i think i have a visual image of ur OHF..shd b a slow flow n drip from tier to tier passing filter floss n bioballs?

From google, i have search overhead filter images n have found some that r feasible..its like a sump (overhead) that r filled with biomedia which is the most crucial in marine tank..depend on how u r gg to do it n of coz such a big tank with only 2 clowns is a joke :D haha..with enough biomedia n rocks to house BB, ur tank of coz can have 20 or more fishes (mixture of small n medium) with regular wc..cheers :)

@ 291213

Just to chime in from my past experience...

My first marine tank was run on a OHF with 3 trickle trays,filter wool, bioballs and coral chips in the first/second/third tier respectively.

That was way back in 2003 when I first started marine keeping with a 2.5ft second-hand tank. Stand was made of chipboard and it rotted whenever saltwater dripped on it.

post-2961-0-89123100-1434558445.jpg

post-2961-0-63601100-1434558667_thumb.jp

Back then, most reefers had sumps already and it was really the to go thing for marine tanks. However, I was contented with what I had then, being able to keep a few wrasse even a Burgess Butterfly and a Multicolour dwarf angel. Of course, the skimmer technology was half as good and I was using a skimmer meant for in-sump use but I managed to hang it at the back of the tank. Filtration was OHF and skimmer and I rarely did water changes, maybe once in 3 months. Corals weren't growing well at all, I couldn't even keep LPS let alone SPS and I was really envious of the other reefers around me who had beautiful tanks (standard of beautiful in 2003 cannot be compared to 2015)

post-2961-0-46306700-1434558640_thumb.jp

post-2961-0-02782500-1434558477_thumb.jp

My fishes didn't die on me except for the occasional anthias and coralline wasn't blooming (now I regard it as a pest already) due to my lights, There was no space for fancy lightings and I rememebered the most fancy lightings back then were MH powermodules and DE Lighting Retrofits. Then again, I was a student and I could barely even afford for my salt mix back then. And all I had was envy for everyone else's tanks.

Fast forward to now, I am a proud owner of a tankset with a proper sump and display, the initial costs can be high but for lesser headaches and inconveniences I think it is worth it.

• SRC Member

Yes this tank i had is last time keep arowana 1 ... and just by keeping fw already i don like the Ohf as it looks damn ugly...all the dirt that traps in the tray...

Ita really head pain for cleaning it if keeping salt water...

I belive the tray small holes will get blockage by salt ....

As my main concern is this 2 tank is quite new and in good condition . I wish i could buy new tank but u know the IO in the house making tons of noise due to too many tanks if i get another tank...

By the way thanks everyone for advise ...i will reconsider should i go into salt water tank:(

One other concern will be the cabinet for your current tank. Will it be able to withstand the weight of saltwater? Marine tank with salt water, rocks and sand can weight alot heavier than a normal fw setup. Also can it tahan kena saltwater anot.

u can actually use your current tank if your cabinet has space to place a sump tank. google on diy overflow system, else u can get a overflow box. With some mods, u can have a overflow system in your set up.

also if your tank is on metal stand, then forget the idea of marine. salt and metal dont mix very well.

• SRC Member

Haha bro..imho, there shd b different types of OHF so interested to see this long OHF.. :) interested to know the pump rate of this big OHF too..hahaha

Although OHF is not feasible for SW, but there are SW tanks that run without sump or skimmer or chiller or blah blah blah and still ok.. there is really no definate in life yea :) cheers

When TS mentioned he is using 6ft 3 tier OHF, its already very clearcut what filter he is running? If u want to see can always google or dropby pasir ris farmway. Alot of fw shops selling the filter. At the same time can ask boss what pump to use.

BTW how is interested to see the OHF and knowing pump rate of the OHF funny? Cos u ended it with hahaha, I abit slow dont get your "joke"

Last but not least, I only know u as a customer, we not even frens to begin with, so spare me with your bro address. Not used to stranger calling me bro. No offence.

• SRC Member

When TS mentioned he is using 6ft 3 tier OHF, its already very clearcut what filter he is running? If u want to see can always google or dropby pasir ris farmway. Alot of fw shops selling the filter. At the same time can ask boss what pump to use.

BTW how is interested to see the OHF and knowing pump rate of the OHF funny? Cos u ended it with hahaha, I abit slow dont get your "joke"

Last but not least, I only know u as a customer, we not even frens to begin with, so spare me with your bro address. Not used to stranger calling me bro. No offence.

Ok my bad for overly friendly..no offence n flame here..:)

For those questions, I m asking the TS n hope to help think if any set up is feasible..its up to the TS to do so or not..in here its just advice n experience sharing..so stop asking me questions which expect me how to answer (eg. hahaha = funny?)(hope u get what I mean..if no, nvm, life goes on.. :) )cheers & happy reefing :)

@ 291213

• SRC Member

Ok my bad for overly friendly..no offence n flame here..:)

For those questions, I m asking the TS n hope to help think if any set up is feasible..its up to the TS to do so or not..in here its just advice n experience sharing..so stop asking me questions which expect me how to answer (eg. hahaha = funny?)(hope u get what I mean..if no, nvm, life goes on.. :) )cheers & happy reefing :)

I dont see how asking for his pic of the ohf and pump rate is helping to think if any set up is feasible.

If u need to google to know how the ohf look like, what advise and experience u talking about?

Your answer pretty sum up everything.

Cheers and happy reefing.

• SRC Member

I dont see how asking for his pic of the ohf and pump rate is helping to think if any set up is feasible.

If u need to google to know how the ohf look like, what advise and experience u talking about?

Your answer pretty sum up everything.

Cheers and happy reefing.

So may I ask u got what type of OHF out there?thks :)

@ 291213

• SRC Member

So may I ask u got what type of OHF out there?thks :)

I dont need to know how many type of OHF is out there. I already mention when ts mention his 6ft 3 tier OHF, I already know the kind of set up he is running on.

If i know what kind of OHF ts is using, I

will give my pc of advise, if i have no idea of what ts is using, I will just shut and let other members who have experience with it advise ts

This is what forum is about, sharing our real life experience, not like some people need to google and give advise. Like that might as well tell ts to google, the answer are all there.

Thanks everyone for the advise.

And i sincerely appologise for causing unwanted dispute between fellow members.

After seeing pictures of ppl using ohf set up it look like nightmare to me...

And i did try to call sgbro isit possible to make my tank into sump tank . Was told is not cheap to do that as they need to bring tank back to factory re drill the tank and re send it to my house with abit more top up i can get an ready make new tank..