Diving in Phuket & Phi Phi

icehot1000

Dear experienced divers,

Actually, this is a duplicate tread I've posted in FiNS forum. I would like to have as much advise from fellow divers as possible.

I read with interest from the FiNs forum (Issue of the day - Thailand dive scene impression....) about their discussion on the ugly diving scene in Thailand. My girlfriend and I will be going to Phuket on the last weekend of March. I've sent enquiries to many dive operators (at least 15 of them) asking them of the dive schedule as well as the price.

We will be visiting:

1st day - Shark Point, King's Cruise wreck and Koh Doc Mai.

How are these dive sites like? Visibility good at this time of the year?

2nd day - 2 dives at the Phi Phi Islands

What about the Phi Phi dive sites? Anything particularly interesting there?

As this will be our first trip to Phuket, we hope that we'll not experience what the earlier discussion on how bad the dive service providers were.

Please give me some advise on the type of dive operators I should beware of and of course, the better ones. I don't know if I should state this here, but the dive shop I've contacted and am interested to dive with is KB Dive. Has anyone dive with them before? Their dive offers are really value for money.

Thank you guys in advance. :thanks:

• SRC Member

Have been visiting Phuket yearly and still prefer Seabees and Dive Asia .... services are comparable but as for prices, no much of a difference though.

Anyway, the dive sites u mentioned are the common ones, Shark Point is good as the name implies, it is really a place for sharks, but beware of the current! whereas phi phi island is a much easier dive site! enjoy!

• 6 months later...
  • SRC Member

I was diving in Phuket last Dec. I did Shark Point, King Cruiser and Anemone Point. The visibilty is lousy (about 5 to 7m). I have never done Phi Phi.

I did a live-on-board to Similan Island after that. That is a fantastic dive sites. All the dives are about 30m and you can still see the surface from that depth. Lot of sharks to see (mostly leopard) and occasional white and black tip.

• SRC Member
You mean the current in Shark Point is strong? Am quite worried as I've not been diving for almost 5 months and I'm only a beginner with 20+ dives.

always dive with a SMB aka sausage n whistle... u dun want another Open Water 2.. ;) when u get caught in a current and get drifted away....

Listen to dive briefing.. dive your own limits.. watch and observe all safety regulations and u be fine

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

i hope the viz won't be too bad coz its almost the start of the diving season in phuket... really looking forward to the dive trip coz my last dive was like in may!! too bad i can't dive more often. anyway, will probably be giving phi phi a miss this time round because i'll be staying at banyan tree and its a little bit too far from everywhere... will consider going to the nearby dive site. its going to be trip to relax coz i'm so stressed up with work and i really don't want to be travelling 2 hrs+ to get to a dive site (i.e. phi phi island) :)

• SRC Member
....because i'll be staying at banyan tree and its a little bit too far from everywhere...

:o ... really know how to relax... :P with that kinda money, i probably can go manado.. :P

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

yah yah... my turn will come <_< just that i do not have enuff leave as it is.. if not, in dec i will go :P

• SRC Member
haha... in fact i am planning to go manado in nov!! ;)

anyway, banyan tree is having promo right now and that's why i'm going... 1/3 of the usual price!

now to Bayan tree, nov to manado?? wah.. really envy... me leaving for brisbane coming monday... wun be back till 3 nov.. going for reservist.. sigh... <_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Viz was terrible at my 3 dives in Phuket. 3m was the ave. I went to the King Cruiser wreck, Shark's Point and Koh Dok Mai. Even though the viz was terrible, I could still see that the marine life there is abundant. lots of domino damsels, damsel with yellow tail, lion fish, sea urchin, rock oysters, barracuda, christmas tree worm, staghorn coral, sea whip, sea fans, sea cucumbers, feather stars, orange skunk clown fish nudibranch, sun coral (orange, yellow, black and GREEN!), butterfly fishes, acro, garoupa, parrot fish, plate coral and the highlight was probably the 3m long leopard shark.

pardon the lousy photos... :)

post-12-1099270989.jpg

• SRC Member

My experience with the dive operator was pretty good. They took good care of everyone. There were altogether 13 of us, including a couple of non-divers. Only 2 Asians. :) And it was interesting to watch the caucasians run out of air so quickly... in each of my 3 dives, the other 3 in my group took turns to run out of air and had to share air with the divemaster. And I thought I'll be the one running out of air! :P

Anyway, I'm using a lousy camera with no strobe so the rest of the photos are going to be quite blurry...

abundance of fishes!

post-12-1099271843.jpg

• SRC Member

Hey AT, sometimes u must *sayang* your wifey a little bit more than yourself lah! hehe... I know the temptation to go on diving holidays esp. when its not so often that you can holiday. For me, I usually restrict my diving to 1 day for each trip that I go to so can do other stuff with my spouse! But since you don't do that, so sometimes have to go for non-diving related holiday lor.. never mind lah, go HK can enjoy the yummy food! :)