My Humble 1.5x1.5x1.5ft Cube tank.

edmund_23

• SRC Member

My journey start with many poisons from my frenz 6mth ago..

Decide to start small since im new to marine fishes. Got a cube tank, normal led light, live rocks, sands and of coz fishes from Pacific Reef.

Didnt cycle as i dunno thats a need for new tank. .. But i did 30% NSW every week.

4c1c829ea934946dbd02f96ded37f142.jpg

Kick off with 2 clowns, 1 cardinal.

Water parameters read ammonia-0 NO2-0, NO3-5.0ppm after 1mth..

I was lucky to get this without cycling the tank.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

5f531b9dcf8f7ed76ce29e2b61d97456.jpg

New addition after aweek.. 1" baby Blue tang, 2 yellow gobies, 1 six line wrasse, 1 cleaning shrimp.

d36a2703f4fb1c55e9ee82ebc763220e.jpg

Tried copperband 2 times.. both die off after a week.. Not easy for nano..

Six-line wrasse jump out..

Add on a chromis and it out grow my clown and keep chasing it. Clown jump out too..

670d8036b8473bd57e43766098747963.jpg

Cyrno Bacteria attack! Due to busy work schedule, water change every 2 weeks. Water parameters all shoot up! Gonna work hard on water change..

• SRC Member

Bro, I don't mean to be rude, but I will talk straight.

Please don't be offended, but I think you are doing everything wrong.

You are not cycling your tank, instead am changing water every week. So your bacteria has no chance to grow at all.

You are getting low ammonia , NO2, NO3 reading, is because of your water change. Not because the tank has finished cycling.

You added too much fishes at a time, and you chose fishes (tangs & butterflies) not suitable for 1.5ft tank size.

Not surprised the copperbands died, but surprised that tang has not come down with ICH yet.

You tank seems to be going through a diatom bloom now (or cyno, I do not know).

Would highly suggest you ask your friend to adopt the fishes for now (or sell them), while your tank goes through it proper cycle.

In the meantime, you can find a lot of useful info in this SRC site. And seek advise from friendly reefers here.

Cheers :)

Don't let all this comment affect you ok! They just guiding you through the mistake everyone make (include them) int he past ^_^

This is a signature : hi

• SRC Member

That was 6mth ago liao.. now everything running fine.. cyrno ended 3mth ago. ICH attacked my blue tang but recover after a wks. Added a skimmer, better fan to cool down to 26-27degree.. No more fishes dies.

Parameters check yesterday:

NO3- 0

Ca- 420

Kh- 10

PO- 5

Sal- 1.025

3c9c202ab359d373f75800efe9041142.jpg

we all went through the same mistake and we grow from it :D

PO is kind of high. You may wish to add NP biopellets/biosphere/rowa to reduce PO.

Copperband can be fussy with food. I had one that survived on Mysis for a long while in the past (few years back), but due to poor husbandry, crashed my tank and it died.

Wrasse is known to jump so better cover with net something that light can still shine through for ur coral.

I noticed my fishes tend to jump on full moon, other days no problem.. gravitational pull etc as I was told in the past. lost about 3-4 fishes as I can't cover my tank.

have fun and reef on~~ :)

• SRC Member

Glad to hear that all seems stable now. Jiayou :)

Actually for nano tank, weekly wc and controlled feeding should keep PO in balance.

I'm also keeping a nano tank. But I kiasu, so I'm using biosphere, rowasphos, rowacarbon and chaeto, haha.

• SRC Member

Actually for nano tank, weekly wc and controlled feeding should keep PO in balance.

I'm also keeping a nano tank. But I kiasu, so I'm using biosphere, rowasphos, rowacarbon and chaeto, haha.

How to you keep cheato on nano? U use a extra hang over filter?

• SRC Member

How to you keep cheato on nano? U use a extra hang over filter?

I used a HOB Filter DIY into a Refugium in my previous tank.

For current tank, I put the Chaeto into a containment and placed inside the tank. DIY the containment from acrylic plate. Problem with this method is strands of Chaeto may get loose and float inside the tank.

Get a small good skimmer. It makes a lot of difference! :) usingthe mini reactor from IM. quite good too. :D these should help w parameter. :) lesser parameter problem = lesser algae issue. Glad to see ur tank stabilize after 6 mths. 6 more mths and it should be even nicer if husbandry is well kept up with. :D coralline algae etc. :D

How's ur mg level? Stablizing mg helps to keep ca and kh stable and balanced too. Noticed very little Coraline algae for a 6mth old tank. Ur mg might be a little low now.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

I think my Mg level low.. nv test.. coz i bought 1 live rock when start up.. but the coralline algae fade off as time goes.. my frenz gave me a solution call purple up.. dunno got use anot..

• SRC Member

It does increase calcium level slightly to increase coralline growth but I am not sure if it would cause a problem...

Too high of a calcium level would cause the calcium precipitate as Calcium carbonate, which might damage ur pumps... Sometimes even jamming it.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Haha! How do u fit everything?? Must a big cabinet to do it. :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Haha! How do u fit everything?? Must a big cabinet to do it. :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No cabinet. Mine is just a 2ft x 1.5ft tank with IOS having 4 chambers.

1st chamber contains net-bags of bio-rings and biosphere.

2nd chamber I put my skimmer.

3rd chamber houses a "pumpless nano-reactor" which I DIY, and contains a small amount of rowaphos and rowacarbon.

4th chamber is the return pump and ATO.

Chaeto is placed inside the display tank itself.

:)

No cabinet. Mine is just a 2ft x 1.5ft tank with IOS having 4 chambers.

1st chamber contains net-bags of bio-rings and biosphere.

2nd chamber I put my skimmer.

3rd chamber houses a "pumpless nano-reactor" which I DIY, and contains a small amount of rowaphos and rowacarbon.

4th chamber is the return pump and ATO.

Chaeto is placed inside the display tank itself.

:)

Sounds good! I'm using side ios.. very limited. :( 3 chambers only....

As long as ur ca is not more than 500mg/l, it shd be ok.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.