New 20G nano setup

• SRC Member

Hi all, I’m new to the hobby and just saying hi. Have been in the freshwater hobby for about 2 years now (I keep a variety of oddballs) and decided to venture into marine after doing some research. After scrounging up some spare equipment, I’ve setup a modest 20 gallon / 80 litre nano tank. Specs as follows:

2 feet x 1.5 feet x 1 foot OF tank

400l/hr Boyu pump with sponge filter

8kg live rock

6kg live sand

Single tube 2ft T5, no idea about the brand (temporary)

1 x DIY skimmer made from mineral water bottles

1 x unknown damselfish (live rock hitchhiker, super unexpected)

DSC_2033_zpsshjz4yc7.jpg

So far so good, tank has been running for about 1.5 months now. Water parameters seem oddly stable… No ammonia spike at all for the last month. I do weekly top ups with dechlorinated tap water and do 1/10 water changes weekly with Red Sea salt infused dechlorinated tap water. I try to minimise the evaporation by covering the tank with a piece of acrylic. Temperature is about 27 degrees because of free aircon (it’s in my office, lucky me!). I supplemented my live rock with 1 kg of bits and pieces of coralline algae encrusted rock from Jireh, in hopes of seeding the rest. The results seem good, some of my other rock is turning blood red/orange already. I also spotted a tiny organism on one of the pieces, not sure what it is (polyp? Mushroom coral?) as well as a weird yellow thing on another rock (spongebob?)

DSC_2028_zpsdd70z5kv.jpg

DSC_2045_zpsrgmpfian.jpg

I actually also have a tunze 6025, a few more other powerful 2000 litre/hr pumps and another 2ft tank full of dead rock that is still curing (1 month) as well as random bottles of coral addtivies and phytoplankton lying around (not adding in anything at the moment). Initially put in the tunze but my unexpected burden damselfish couldn’t even swim properly in the current so I settled for the Boyu instead.

So that’s about it. Please feel free to point out any improvements I could add in. I’m guessing my rock arrangement is quite fail and I think my Boyu isn’t providing enough flow. Also please forgive my poor photography skills. I initially just wanted a simple FOWLR to keep cuttlefish, but recently I’ve picked up interest in soft corals as well (too ambitious!!). Resisting the urge until my tank is more mature. So yup, cheers all J

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

So, something happened... I knocked my light INTO the tank... Almost put my hand in to grab it! :rip:

Luckily I stopped myself in time and quickly switched off the main, but by that time the light already got soaked and went out by itself. I don't think there was any electric shock since everything inside still looks alive... Does anyone know if I can still use that light? I opened up the casing and took out the florescent tube and left it aside to dry. Not sure if it will explode if I try to turn it on :blink:

So, something happened... I knocked my light INTO the tank... Almost put my hand in to grab it! :rip:

Luckily I stopped myself in time and quickly switched off the main, but by that time the light already got soaked and went out by itself. I don't think there was any electric shock since everything inside still looks alive... Does anyone know if I can still use that light? I opened up the casing and took out the florescent tube and left it aside to dry. Not sure if it will explode if I try to turn it on :blink:

I wouldn't try if I will you

It will be gd if u invested in rodi instead of using tap water in order to yield in cleaner, purer water.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

It will be gd if u invested in rodi instead of using tap water in order to yield in cleaner, purer water.

I have read about it and I've looked around but it seems very pricey... I also have the added problem of the tank being in my office, so that means I have to hook up the RO/DI unit to the pantry tap, which might not go well with the management. Will the prolonged use of tap water be a huge problem in future? Some articles I read claim its ok as long i don't keep sensitive corals.

I have read about it and I've looked around but it seems very pricey... I also have the added problem of the tank being in my office, so that means I have to hook up the RO/DI unit to the pantry tap, which might not go well with the management. Will the prolonged use of tap water be a huge problem in future? Some articles I read claim its ok as long i don't keep sensitive corals.

U can use those distilled water from Ntuc for topping up and salt mixing.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Thanks for the tips, bro

You are welcome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Just some updates... Added some life into my tank!

3 pieces of rock with mushrooms on them, one cauliflower in the centre and 3 pieces of GSP

DSC_2265_zps7k1dkcti.jpgDSC_2268_zpseipnqis5.jpgDSC_2257_zpsgqkqd47t.jpg

2 coral-banded shrimp, 1 skunk cleaner and 1 pacific fire shrimp and 2 random snails. Only the skunk likes to come out and show himself. The rest only slack till meal time -_-

DSC_2263_zpsbgkprupc.jpg

Starting to think that the tank looks a bit crowded now. Maybe I need to start shifting some stuff into a separate tank. Very exciting! :D

DSC_2256_zpsmdzr9o0c.jpg

Envy you can setup a tank in the office. My boss don't even allows anytjing that is not work related in the office, he see it he will think we spend time doing our thing

For your water top up and  wc you can try those water depenser in the office if have. Long term using tap water will have algae problem

Current Tank(s) :

2 x 1 x 1 mixed reef tank

What in my mind now (future tanks)

4 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile coral tank

3 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile reef tank

Decommissioned Tanks :

2 ft seahorse tank back in the 1990s'

2.5 ft cube mixed reef tank in 2007 to 2008

JBJ 28g Tank . Maxspect G1 110W + 12W DIY LED . Tunze 9002 Skimmer . Vortech MP10w ES . SPS only Tank . Picasso Clown Fish (2009 to 2011)

2 x 1 x 1 puffer-fishes, box-fishes & Frog-fish tank (2015)

• SRC Member

U can use those distilled water from Ntuc for topping up and salt mixing.

yup NTUC sell LIFE distilled water at $1.05 for two 1.5L bottles. SS sell ALPHEUS distilled water at $1.10 for two 1.5L bottles this Jubilee wkend

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I think so too, starting to have cyano on the sand floor and the glass. Been cleaning the glass recently. Lucky i got a hermit now and he seems to be sifting it and eating some of it

• SRC Member

Some new additions!

Skunk cleaner now has a friend. Strange, I always thought shrimp are loners, but these 2 like to hang out together

DSC_2334_zps2qxjxeu2.jpg

Grey chocolate chip star. I know starfish supposed to eat dead stuff, but nothing dead here at the moment. so trying to feed it pellets

IMG-20150829-WA0003_zpslmvcy4dq.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Is the starfish feeding on the pellets?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes it feeds on the pellets, no problem. The only issue is that it's so slow, the cleaner shrimp will happily stuff their pincers under the starfish to steal his food. I had to resort to giving it chunks of huge pellets (hikari massivore) so that the shrimps can't easily snatch it from him. It takes him 2 days to completely digest it though

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Sorry for the late reply. Yes it feeds on the pellets, no problem. The only issue is that it's so slow, the cleaner shrimp will happily stuff their pincers under the starfish to steal his food. I had to resort to giving it chunks of huge pellets (hikari massivore) so that the shrimps can't easily snatch it from him. It takes him 2 days to completely digest it though

can consider 'protecting' the starfish while it eats. Depending on your starfish size, select a plastic bottle & cut off the ends, then place it over the starfish during feeding time. The shrimps won't be able to steal its food anymore

• SRC Member

Good idea, but my starfish likes sticking to the glass most of the time. I feed him when he comes to the water's edge and lifts his arms to do a high 5 at me

• SRC Member

Hi guys, I just bought a new tank, a 2 x 1.5 x 1.5 with internal sump. Planning to upgrade my current 20G a little bit by adding more equipment. I had a few things in mind of what to do at the sump area. But first, here is a pic of it

DSC_2496_zpsqiqu29vk.jpg

1) i will be putting bio balls and other filter media

2) I also want to cultivate copepods and macro algae, if possible

3. I also have a skimmer (boyu mini, at the left section)

The overflow section on the right actually strains through a very slim baffle first (there are bottom and top inlets) before it goes to the main section on the right. There is also a ledge in the middle. I'm going to assume that section is meant for placing the fibre wool in a box on top of the ledge, followed by a bag of bio balls / coral chips at the bottom half.

For the middle section, there's where i plan to either put an algae scrubber or a bunch of macro algae to cultivate copepods and help with nitrates/phosphates. 

Finally, at the left side, the return pump and the skimmer will be placed. However, I don't know if this makes sense, since i usually see the skimmer at the first compartment as the first line of defense against organic waste. By the time it hits the return pump, shouldn't the water be damn clean already? I'm really not sure about this part. I googled around but can't find any concrete answers. Also, I will be placing my auto water top up system there as well

Hoping for some advice on whether my plans make sense or are they really bad ideas. Thanks!

Edited by tuajia
typo

Bro, ur skimmer should go to the middle or if possible first section of ur sump. This is avoid getting micro bubbles into ur display. Putting ur skimmer in middle or  first compartment, at least there's a baffle to trap the bubbles.

Edited by Admiraltian