Return Pump Capacity.

Hi Fellow Reefers,

Can some recommend a return Pump for my setup below?61601897a9456ce75e0c46b6b4f0afda.jpg

I want to share the pump for the following :

1) DT 3x2x2.5 ft.

2) 1/4 HP chiller

3) 11watts UV filter

4) 2 units of fluidized reactors.

I'm currently running 5800l/Hr sunsun DC pump.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Supporter

It seem like you have quite a number of " T " off from the return pump, which might affect the flow reaching the top of the tank. I would use a stronger DC pump if i will you in order to compensate for the head loss. 

• SRC Supporter

The return pump is the heart of the system so it's good to get a good quality one .

An ecotech vectra M1 or L1 would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

Just curious.

I know you use the valve on the individual line to control the flow through each equipment.  But how do you know how much flow is in each line?  For the FRs, you probably can judge from the media's movement.  But how do you know the flow through the Chiller and UV Filter meets the required min/max flow of the equipment?

Hope to learn something here.

• SRC Supporter

Let's say a UV filter chiller calls for flow rate of 300L per hour. This works out to 5L per minute

Collect water from the output of the UV filter for 1 minute then measure the water. For me, i just use a travel weighing scale to measure the weight of the pail of water collected.

Rough measurement will suffice. Same concept for chiller flow rate.

• SRC Member
4 hours ago, SubzeroLT said:

Let's say a UV filter chiller calls for flow rate of 300L per hour. This works out to 5L per minute

Collect water from the output of the UV filter for 1 minute then measure the water. For me, i just use a travel weighing scale to measure the weight of the pail of water collected.

Rough measurement will suffice. Same concept for chiller flow rate.

Thanks bro! Lesson learnt.

• SRC Supporter
10 hours ago, jvega888 said:

Can roughly estimate the flow rate should be equal to sum of the flowrate of all the equipment connected? For example 400l DT should be.

4000 + 2000 for chiller + 1000 for Uv + 2000 for the 2 reactors.

So it should be min 9000L/Hr?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

In theory, that's the rough final flow requirements.

However, somewhat more complicated is factoring in the losses due to the pipes (diameter, length, joints) & height.

Note that not all pumps are the same. For example, my Jebao 12000l/hr return pump provides much less final flow than the Ecotech Vectra M1 (rated 7500l/hr). I assume that has a more powerful motor (higher torque) & able to handle the resistance better.