My Slice of Nature (Part 3)

SubzeroLT

• SRC Supporter

That area runs at about 72W of LED light at the moment. Plants & succulents are doing relatively OK.  Its able to hold its coloration & do flower occasionally.

Using LEDs (~ 200 PAR for the above lights) are way less lights compared to direct sunlight (~ 1000 PAR)

• Like 1

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, SubzeroLT said:

That area runs at about 72W of LED light at the moment. Plants & succulents are doing relatively OK.  Its able to hold its coloration & do flower occasionally.

Using LEDs (~ 200 PAR for the above lights) are way less lights compared to direct sunlight (~ 1000 PAR)

Thanks for replies. 

• SRC Supporter

Sea cucumber from reefer Simon.

P3250078 (Large).jpg

Kenya Tree frag kept detaching from the rock. Using polymorph thermoplastic to loop around the coral to anchor it down. Seems to work.

P3250033 (Large).jpg

Realized some of the corals have grown quite a bit. Picture from Dec 2016.

PC100320 (Large).JPG

15 months later : Bali Slimer. Encrusting on the back wall too. Its a good thing...helping to support & stabilize the rock.

P3250011 (Large).jpg

15 months later : Candy Cane

P3250045 (Large).jpg

SSC from Dec 2016

PB130279 (Large).jpg

SSC 15 months later. The center portion seems to have darkened though. Wonder why?

P3250054 (Large).jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• SRC Supporter

Bought a BRS reactor from a fellow reefer over the weekend. I must say the reactor is very well built. 

Running Continum Aquatics Power Cleanse Heavy Metal removal resin.

P1013158 (Large).jpg

Someone asked me about pumps & whether to T-off the main return pump. Personally, I prefer NOT to T-off & have a dedicated small pump for the various reactors instead.

1) Easier to add 'extension' tubes if new reactors are added on.

2) Able to keep the reactor pump powered on during tank maintenance or water change.

I'm using the S1. Ideal for reactors or for smaller 1-3 ft tanks.

P4010019 (Large).jpg

Added on a CO2 needle valve as the original Intense's lock nut was rusty & hard to turn to enable locking.

P1013127 (Large).jpg

Built a small protective cover to prevent accidental adjustment. Can swivel open.

P1013137 (Large).jpg

One bad thing about the pinch valve is that it probably puts too much stress on the polyurethane tube. The tube sprung a leak after 1 year.

P1013120 (Large).jpg

Replaced with a SMC needle valve. 

P1013121 (Large).jpg

• SRC Supporter

Trying out the DD Clarisea roller filter. It has nice design features that could amazingly fit into the tight space were the filter wool was previously placed. Will share a review of it soon.

P1013154 (Large).jpg

• SRC Supporter

Did a water 20% water change on Sunday lunch time with slightly lower salinity salt mix (1.026) as I noticed my display tank was hovering 1.027-1.028. That probably triggered a big reduction in KH. 

It was the same tub of salt but just lower salinity. Mental note not to do this in future.

Alkatronic 1.JPG

Anyway, Alkatronic auto dosed alkalinity solution (Nyos KH powder) to quickly pull KH levels back up.

Didn't realize that until I looked at the chart last night. All is good now.

On 4/2/2018 at 12:01 AM, SubzeroLT said:

Bought a BRS reactor from a fellow reefer over the weekend. I must say the reactor is very well built. 

P1013158 (Large).jpg

Where you get this Continum Aquatics Power Cleanse Heavy Metal removal resin from?

Does It work?

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Supporter

Someone asked me via whatsapp what it means by "Alkatronic auto dose Alkalinity? It has a dosing pump?"

The unit comes with 4 pumps.  3 are to facilitate the KH measurement.

The 4th one at the bottom is to dose Alkalinity solution.

P1013160 (Large).jpg

Alkalinity "stock solution" are quite standard. The usual recipes for DIY or even branded products are quite similar.

In the Alkatronic app, you enter your tank volume (eg. 850L). It uses an algorithm to quickly but safely bring KH back up. According to the manual :

• If the difference of dKH and low reference value > 0.14, then the half dose of lacking alkalinity is dosed.
  • If the difference of dKH and low reference value < 0.14, then the whole dose of lacking alkalinity is dosed.
  • If the difference of dKH and low reference value > 0.6, then Alkatronic will never dose more than 0.3 dKH at same time. 
  • If alkalinity is dosed, the unit will remeasure after 2 hours

P1013159 (Large).jpg

New livestock added over the weekend.

One of my spotted mandarins was killed by the hungry mini carpet anemone. Got another one from Pinnacle last weekend. Placed it in a small container filled with baby brine shrimps in an attempt to get it to eat something. I think this helps it get some energy before release into the display tank. Improve survival rate.

P3310004 (Large).jpg

• SRC Supporter
51 minutes ago, sherman said:

Where you get this Continum Aquatics Power Cleanse Heavy Metal removal resin from?

Does It work?

Available from Madpetz & Pacific Reef. 

My ICP test results showed some levels of copper (9.17 ug/l. Probably from dosing Zeospur some time back) and also aluminum (180ug/l. Folks commonly blame it on marine pure). Hence i'm trying this out. Probably a cheaper option than using PolyFilter media pad.

Not sure about effectiveness yet ....will share my next ICP results.

Thank You for sharing bro.

Will follow your next ICP result

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member
5ac0fb55d64f0_P1013158(Large).thumb.jpg.c0a6ebaf2501d38bc1b7a2073d018004.jpg

Someone asked me about pumps & whether to T-off the main return pump. Personally, I prefer NOT to T-off & have a dedicated small pump for the various reactors instead.
1) Easier to add 'extension' tubes if new reactors are added on.
2) Able to keep the reactor pump powered on during tank maintenance or water change.
I'm using the S1. Ideal for reactors or for smaller 1-3 ft tanks.
5ac0fb53276d3_P4010019(Large).thumb.jpg.135d22abdd8275e4e1b231bcc9f03546.jpg

Added on a CO2 needle valve as the original Intense's lock nut was rusty & hard to turn to enable locking.
5ac0fb54ecfb0_P1013127(Large).thumb.jpg.a53dbbbd13d4202dbb574b11db9397d3.jpg

Built a small protective cover to prevent accidental adjustment. Can swivel open.
5ac0fb540b61a_P1013137(Large).thumb.jpg.4605fb8f412854ff3f21685b2968882e.jpg

One bad thing about the pinch valve is that it probably puts too much stress on the polyurethane tube. The tube sprung a leak after 1 year.
5ac0fb5690bbe_P1013120(Large).thumb.jpg.ea25ca4147129ac2d6cf4f4eeeade88b.jpg

Replaced with a SMC needle valve. 
5ac0fb576f8ca_P1013121(Large).thumb.jpg.7a3694e4a2fb292e29843dc19abf69e4.jpg

Where you get your valve and tubing connection?

Can see how you T off from the pump?

Also you place your media in the bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Supporter
1 hour ago, Ashtrax said:

Where you get your valve and tubing connection?

Can see how you T off from the pump?

Also you place your media in the bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valve & tubing connections :

- Needle valve from USPlastic : https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=32208

- Tubing are PU CO2 tubing. From Aquatic Avenue @ Redhill area

T off from pump to fit 1/4" RODI tubing & several flexible hoses.

PA212447 (Large).jpg

The Continuum Aquatics media is actually a resin. Similar size as that used for RODI filters. I was being cautious as i was using the BRS reactor for the 1st time. Its probably safe enough not to use the media bag

• SRC Member

Thanks for the sharing. I just started and I’m amazed at the amount of effort you have put in. Seriously, if it was not documented, is wouldn’t know the condition before it was commissioned. Lots of respect for people who do restorations of all kinds (including bikes and cars). Camping here to learn more!

• SRC Supporter
On 04/04/2018 at 6:42 AM, Jeebusai said:

Thanks for the sharing. I just started and I’m amazed at the amount of effort you have put in. Seriously, if it was not documented, is wouldn’t know the condition before it was commissioned. Lots of respect for people who do restorations of all kinds (including bikes and cars). Camping here to learn more!

Thanks.

I see you are starting a new tank on your end. Looking forward to updates & pics :)

• SRC Supporter

Review of the  DD Clarisea Gen 2 automatic Fleece Filter

P1013073 (Large).jpg

Roller Mat filter systems provide robust mechanical filtration for extended periods of time are getting popular these days. 

I tried the SK-3000 initially & finally settled for the larger SK-5000 version. 

Disclosure : My unit was provided by Reef Depot as acknowledgement/recognition for the feature in the recent AI Hydra Signature Series. 
  • SK-3000 has 145mm x 205mm foot print. Handles up to 3000 l/hr
  • SK-5000 has 145mm x 255mm foot print. Comes with a slightly wider fleece roller. Rated for 5000 l/hr

For those who are not familiar with such products, its essentially uses a disposable roller made of ‘fleece’ material placed around the structure.

As tank water passes through the filter fleece during use, it starts to clog up with detritus, causing the internal water level to rise. The high water level triggers a float switch and the integrated motor winds the fleece material by a couple of millimeters to introduce new filter fleece material.

Flow Rates

• One point to note on flow rates. These filter systems can handle a lot of flow.
  • Most of us may use return pumps that may have higher flow numbers. But note that the real flow rate is very much reduced after factoring head loss due to piping & head height. 
  • My tank is a 5ft 850L system running on Ecotech Vectra m1.

First Impressions & features

Assembly was relatively easy. Watch the online video to complement the printed instructions

Good build quality. Acrylic pieces came with protective film. Dampen with some water to peel the protection sheet off.

P1013076 (Large).jpg

P1013079 (Large).jpg

I’m impressed with the small foot print  as it could fit the small compartment in my sump. No need to cut out panels of the sump to fit this in.

It has an adjustable arm that allows you to re position the roller to various positions. This nice design idea is an enabler to for it to be installed in my system.

P1013122 (Large).jpg

A front flap can be rotated open if you want to bypass the filter (eg. During feeding or  adding pods or rotifers)P1013106 (Large).jpg

Float switch :

P1013083 (Large).jpg

Fleece material.

Filters up to 20 micron particles. So this will outperform any filter sock of filter wool to keep the water crystal clear

Typical filter socks are 200-300 micron. Filter wool will probably let larger particles through.

P1013111 (Large).jpg

One tip to prevent the take up reel from slipping during the initial set up is to fold the fleece back.

P1013164 (Large).jpg

Apply a short length of masking tape around the corrugated sleeveP1013165 (Large).jpg

Then wind forward a little bit

P1013166 (Large).jpg

Plumbing

Inlet attaches to a 1” pipe. Its quite easy to retrofit for existing tank systems.

Depending on your downpipe, the easiest option is to get a pipe reducer. Then fit a plastic hose or silicon hose.

A non kink food grade silicon hose is best as the smooth internal surface will ensure minimum resistance. Available at Madpetz or ReefmarketSG.

P1013113 (Large).jpg

P1013108 (Large).jpg

Water enters the unit through this strainer. To optimize usage of the roller fleece, I found its best to raise the unit as high out of the water as possible with just the strainer submerged. The unit comes with adjustable hangers to adjust the height. In my case, i put some basket/egg crates under the unit.

P1013100 (Large).jpg

Control

The unit has a small control unit that connects to the motor & float switch.

P1013146 (Large).jpg

There are a couple of buttons on it.

• Advance the motor to wind the fleece
  • Alarm. This is triggered when the float switch is activated for more than a couple of minutes – an indication that the fleece is not  advancing

Usage

Its been running in my tank for the past week.

The fleece is 25m long & should typically last about 1-2 months depending on flow rate & water conditions.

Once nice thing is that it does not smell bad. I read its a special low odor fleece material where there outer layer dries up & locks in the smell.

P1013162 (Large).jpg

P1013154 (Large).jpg

Overall, I see 2 key advantages of having such a system :

1. No more changing filter wool/socks every few days. Good for going on trips/holidays and for busy reefers
  2. Cleaner water with the 20 micron filter fleece. And filtered dirt is moved out of the water quickly instead of sitting in the filter wool/socks for days

Another piece of equipment to make reefing easier :)

P1013113 (Large).jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, SubzeroLT said:

Overall sump view (as requested by someone).

Quite cramp. ClariSea on the left side where the filter wool used to be

P1013169 (Large).jpg

Crazy amount of equipment! Going up on @reefsg k! Ang mos loves sump pictures!

btw ur ssc look more towards e bdb variant!

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

• SRC Supporter
2 hours ago, alexcyf said:

Crazy amount of equipment! Going up on @reefsg k! Ang mos loves sump pictures!

btw ur ssc look more towards e bdb variant!

Wish I had more space. If I were able to re-do it, i'll have a separate electrical cabinet for better cable management & use the space for a denitrator.

Thanks & noted on the Badabing ID. Also need to thank Nigel for that frag.

4 hours ago, SubzeroLT said:

Wish I had more space. If I were able to re-do it, i'll have a separate electrical cabinet for better cable management & use the space for a denitrator.

Thanks & noted on the Badabing ID. Also need to thank Nigel for that frag.

Kudos for being able to bring out e colours!

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

• SRC Supporter

Saw a video on BRSTV on tank design that its best practice to use a silicon hose to connect your pump to the return pipes.

This is to minimize vibration from pump to the display tank. Apparently, solid piping all the way through is not desired. Something like this pic (found on the internet)

IMG_4408[1] (Large).jpg

Managed to get good quality silicon hose from ReefmarketSG. I'm told its "Made in Japan".

P1013172 (Large).jpg

Simple task of removing the piping.

Take note of overall length of pipe. Cut away a short section (~ 1ft). Add the silicon hose. Measure that its of the same original length. Done in 10 min.

P1013171 (Large).jpg

One pump done. 1 more to go.

P1013173 (Large).jpg

Apparently, not all silicon hoses are suitable. Its related to the raw materials & the curing method used during the manufacturing process. Risk of leeching contaminants. One needs to be cautious of buying it from industrial sources or online as it may not be truly "food safe" even though its claimed to be. Check the source.

PVC hoses are not as effective to reduce vibration and typically harden over time. 

• SRC Member
2 minutes ago, SubzeroLT said:

Saw a video on BRSTV on tank design that its best practice to use a silicon hose to connect your pump to the return pipes.

This is to minimize vibration from pump to the display tank. Apparently, solid piping all the way through is not desired. Something like this pic (found on the internet)

IMG_4408[1] (Large).jpg

Managed to get good quality silicon hose from ReefmarketSG. I'm told its "Made in Japan".

P1013172 (Large).jpg

Simple task of removing the piping.

Take note of overall length of pipe. Cut away a short section (~ 1ft). Add the silicon hose. Measure that its of the same original length. Done in 10 min.

P1013171 (Large).jpg

One pump done. 1 more to go.

P1013173 (Large).jpg

Apparently, not all silicon hoses are suitable. Its related to the raw materials & the curing method used during the manufacturing process. Risk of leeching contaminants. One needs to be cautious of buying it from industrial sources or online as it may not be truly "food safe" even though its claimed to be. Check the source.

PVC hoses are not as effective to reduce vibration and typically harden over time. 

Good information. Are U using cable ties? How does it compare to those SS rings with screws? The only downside, the screws will rust 

• SRC Supporter

Yes...nylon (cable tie) is generally inert & safe. Strong enough for this purpose.

Typical 304 Stainless steel clips & screws will leech nickel & chromium into your water when it corrodes. Not good.

316 Stainless steel can hold up to corrosion better.  316SS cable clips are not common though.