My journey in custom made 2ft cube with sump

vincentwangz

1 hour ago, Darren Sim said:

Kh 125? Or 12.5?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Maybe it's in ppm then it's 7dkh.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

That's correct. it's in ppm.

Sofishticated Friend

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi guys, here's video update of my tank. It has been a discouraging few weeks, as I have been experiencing die out of my hammers one after another, followed by my elegance as well. I found the reason to be most likely a bacterial infection which is on a rock I got from a reefer. I took out all my rockwork and replaced them with new ones bought from AM. Am happier with the new Scape too, as I can imagine how to fill it up slowly with SPS, acans and zoas.
https://vimeo.com/187776464

Sofishticated Friend

• SRC Member
Maybe it's your water too clean hence not enough nutrient for lps ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm I do dose coral food like reef roids, nutri core and intense by revoreef, and polyp enhancement A and B leh.

Sofishticated Friend

• SRC Member

Hi everyone, thanks for continuing in this journey with me. Although I started this tank on 28 July 2016, I've been reefing since June 2014. There's been a lot to learn and I'm still feeling like I'm just scratching the surface. It feels like there's just so many ways to maintain the parameters in the tank it's hard to decide what to follow. However, have done a water test recently, and am happy with the way my Ca, KH and Mg have balanced out, but due to a change of rocks my bioload has gone up again. That is fine with me as I do not have that much corals at the moment, so I'll take my time to bring it down.

Custom Tank by Aquarium Artist parameters are:
Temperature: 26
Salinity: 1.025
Nitrate, NO3: 12ppm
Alkalinity, KH: 8.5 dkh
Calcium, Ca: 450
Phosphate, PO4: 0.52
Magnesium, Mg: 1,290

All these tests are done by Nyos except for my phosphates which are done using Hanna Checker. I'm preparing to send my water to Triton to get a test so as to understand my water better instead of having my corals die on me after a while. That is a step to take when home tests cannot identify what is the cause of death in your corals. Will send it to Iwarna for the test which costs 98 dollars. Here are some pics of my latest scape
04642b4100727783b3fdee2eb533be40.jpg
This is the front view.
949cf78fe5aa6748b11c6f48108f71ab.jpg
This was taken using a yellow filter.
d4bf466005d7b28f4f0000e5c35fb64c.jpg
This wasn't.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi everyone, how's everything going along in your reefing journey? At some point in our reefing, I'm sure we have come across this urge to 'get everything right' before adding new livestock. I like to think I've hit a little bit of that streak in my journey. I decided I cannot use tap water any longer as I have seen enough of the damage it can cause my tank (high phosphates resulting in algae growth that chokes out my corals and makes my scape look unsightly). So I decided to go for a DI unit. Thanks to my good Friend and ultra DIY king, the owner of The 4 Ft Wonder, Mr Daniel Poh, he helped me get all the parts necessary to run a DI unit, along with a 4 stage water purifier unit that is safe for drinking! very rare to come across such a helpful person that will go the distance to help me achieve my reefing goals and balance my household needs. Am happy to say that my DI unit is up, and even set up by him! Here are some pics to share. TDS 0 readings already achieved!
41c8ed5c4bc57768caa4598150ca6072.jpg9dfab12421126b63c01cb36ca9aa0e35.jpg1602a1d407268c64dc2016d64ceb46c6.jpg8a3279e2df64b31835729dc5c015a4f5.jpg
All my tank inhabitants are happy with a Low phosphate environment!

Nice gesture.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi guys! How's the year coming along for everyone? Before you know it, Christmas is coming and hopefully one new year's resolution has been achieved! Mine was to successfully keep SPS but I Guess there's no way to rush this. I'm still a distance away, but happy with how my tank has been coming along. Recently visited a few LFS and spent some more to beautify my tank and make my life easier. Added black sand and relocated my coral chips to the sump. Haha. The fish seem to like the change! Also, decided to get the lionfish I have always wanted to try! Training them to eat has been a huge challenge! Because of that I went to Petmart to get a 2ft Long algae scraper so I no need to put my hand inside and fish getting stung hahaha. Daniel (dpyz) says I siao. I couldn't agree more. Anyway I'm happy with how the lionfish has adapted to the feeding schedule and my fishes are ok with him being around too. Here's a picture of the lionfish!
6e3a73793aef8fccb0d9258c2725c04a.jpg
I also want to recommend the Prata that I tried at Serangoon north next to Pet Mart. Always freshly prepared, and it's fluffy and crispy all at once! Die die must try!
c6601014a0658cade9fbcd95d87a7863.jpg

• Like 1

• SRC Member
Bro how and how long does it take to train your lion fish? Because dwarf lion fish is difficult to train them...thks..

Hi, I put it in the box for two weeks and started it on ghost shrimps. It's still on live ghost shrimps, and this is part 2 of the training. Will use dead shrimps next.

Hi, I put it in the box for two weeks and started it on ghost shrimps. It's still on live ghost shrimps, and this is part 2 of the training. Will use dead shrimps next.

Ok thats cool because i tried but failed..maybe need more time..5e6dca6cd5f62b993db5e57de8751027.jpg this is kitty fish

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Hello guys, been a long time since I have updated, mainly because I have been battling a mysterious die out of my corals. However, my fish have been doing very well, with no sign of disease or illness. My parameters have been stable, but my nitrates had spiked to 40ppm from 5 ppm before I changed my rocks. I suspect there are two reasons. One, I decreased the volume of my rocks to half the amount it was, so my beneficial bacteria suffered. Two, I added Chemipure carbon to deal with the water turning green. I suspect chemipure strips out too much bacteria in the water column that the remaining bacteria are not able to keep up with the bioload. I have since removed the carbon bag, and am planning to get more rocks. In the meantime, I installed an ATS to bring down the nutrients and also changed my biopellets to NP biopellets instead of Purbio. I also installed a dosing pump to maintain my calcium and alkalinity at a stable level. I hope these changes will help with improving my tank's ability to keep corals.
e92c038232062155d825230281522bad.jpg
41c0db20d78202522b1ef1d588e98c3a.jpg
After removing my carbon bag and switching biopellets, the leather has done well.
e6cff63e2ed90f2702f116cc15f66938.jpg
The clam is the only one that has done well regardless in my tank.
e2775bd27a33405093cd842e2436ae51.jpg
These blastos too.
5d96b71d8c93c140994082affc959f7f.jpg
Recently acquired candy cane frag. Also doing well.
1dc3973cad375ea6fd4b9f7463fcd2f6.jpg
Metallic green GSPs also starting to grow.
I hope these will be an indication my tank is starting to improve. Happy Reefing everyone!