algae blenny and nuisance brown algae

terryansimon

my school's bookshop has this nano tank with an algae blenny in it and the dude claims that it consumed his brown algae.

my tank has a few big patches of brown algae, mainly due to my heavy feeding :D:P

I was wondering apart from a reduced photo-period/feeding and water change to combat nitrates, will the blenny makan the algae? although its rather cruel to buy it just to consume algae and then have it starve to death, so will it be weened onto other foodstuff as well?

• SRC Member
mine nibbling here and there. Hardworking but not consuming much algae. It also feed on pallet food.

If you're talking about lawnmower blenny, then he...he....are you sure... :blink: mine did a great job on a whole piece of LR covered with byropsis in my main reef system. Doesn't feed on any pellet food in my tank except algae.

• SRC Member
ok...it does consume algae... haha... just not fast enough for my liking... It does eat pallet food... Yes, its a lawnmower blenny.

probably got use to pellet food...that why it's not eating algae fast enough in your tank. For mine it's doing a clearing job on the front glass area now as the LR that was covered with hair algae has been greedily scooped up within days. I am actually afraid I might run out of algae now. Try and get some Sally Light Foots then...they're even better at clearing algae.... ;)

• SRC Member

If you're talking about lawnmower blenny, then he...he....are you sure... :blink: mine did a great job on a whole piece of LR covered with byropsis in my main reef system. Doesn't feed on any pellet food in my tank except algae.

Serious eh....can loan tat blenny of urs :P He will be fat fat when return back to u ;)

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

Serious eh....can loan tat blenny of urs :P He will be fat fat when return back to u ;)

no kidding bro....eats everything thats algae... :o I only have one in my main tank just imagine if I have two of them. Bought another for my sump area and cleaned everything unsightly in there. At first I didn't want to purchase them as they're not very attractive to look at.... :lol: but certainly change my mind now because of their good work. Don't get them use to pellets as they will loose their goodworking attitude.... :lol:

no kidding bro....eats everything thats algae... :o I only have one in my main tank just imagine if I have two of them. Bought another for my sump area and cleaned everything unsightly in there. At first I didn't want to purchase them as they're not very attractive to look at.... :lol: but certainly change my mind now because of their good work. Don't get them use to pellets as they will loose their goodworking attitude.... :lol:

hmmmm....... IMO, dun think that's entirely true. the algae blenny does not eat red slime algae.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

ha...ha mine does for some reason though...don't know if I am lucky but it eats every algae in sight....even does the sand bed too..... ;) I was shocked to see it picking up sand in it's mouth yesterday and spitting out clean sand....what do you think of that.... :blink: Might have a conflict of personality I think.... :lol:

ha...ha mine does for some reason though...don't know if I am lucky but it eats every algae in sight....even does the sand bed too..... ;) I was shocked to see it picking up sand in it's mouth yesterday and spitting out clean sand....what do you think of that.... :blink: Might have a conflict of personality I think.... :lol:

hmmm.... lucky u then....... mine only pecks off algae on glass and rocks, but he does dances on the sandbed from time to time.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member
problem is : How to prevent it from eating pallet food ?

may be can outsource to you to train to enjoy eating algae once again. :D a back to nature camp.

yeah lor....one thing is hard to out train them from accepting pellet food. For mine....I feed the other fishes with live food and my lawnmower is not quick enough to chase the live food as my Green Cromis are like pirahnas when it comes to food....so thats why the lawnmower has no choice but to stick to algae for his diet.... :lol:

On the other hand......in-camp training is open for reefers with lawnmowers that go astray.... :lol: