Hand Carry SPS

• SRC Supporter

Though of it before....

wanted a pal to bring them in from overseas but chicken out last moment...

dun want him to get into trouble....

Most SPS are classified under CITES appendix II.... protected specimens so actually requires proper paperwork... before they can be shipped across......

Was also wondering if only frags are brought across.... not a issue whether if its illegal but rather can they be kept conceal from any detection.....

:(

• SRC Member

Hmmm my experience is I've brought back 3 to 4 packs of freshwater fishes, shrimps and plants from Hongkong, and when the customs saw it on the X-ray machine, they just smiled and let me pass. I just hand carried it in a large paper bag. That was 2 years ago, though...

I think if u bring in 1 to 2 bags (small ones of cos) and put it inside some hand carry luggage (try to put it together with 'gifts' from your trip). The customs pple shldnt be too excited...u can explain to them that the lifestock are a gift for someone?

But dont take my word for it, i believe some guys here have been there and done it, so can wait for their opinion...anyways, i remember there was a discussion starting fr trying to bring in clams - might wana search for dat thread... :)

• SRC Supporter

Bringing in Livestock is not a problem if they are not CITES classified...

Heard from somewhere that there is a allowance of certain amount to be brought in for personal hobby usage..... must confirm with AVA.....

Anyone with experience with this???

• SRC Member
Bringing in Livestock is not a problem if they are not CITES classified...

Heard from somewhere that there is a allowance of certain amount to be brought in for personal hobby usage..... must confirm with AVA.....

Anyone with experience with this???

Well, I don't think the custom officer knows the coral we bring in is CITES classified.

• SRC Member
Hmmm my experience is I've brought back 3 to 4 packs of freshwater fishes, shrimps and plants from Hongkong, and when the customs saw it on the X-ray machine, they just smiled and let me pass. I just hand carried it in a large paper bag. That was 2 years ago, though...

I think if u bring in 1 to 2 bags (small ones of cos) and put it inside some hand carry luggage (try to put it together with 'gifts' from your trip). The customs pple shldnt be too excited...u can explain to them that the lifestock are a gift for someone?

But dont take my word for it, i believe some guys here have been there and done it, so can wait for their opinion...anyways, i remember there was a discussion starting fr trying to bring in clams - might wana search for dat thread... :)

Unless you put plastic explosives in a Grouper's stomach....

Hehehe..

:off:

I recall that AT got some mail order SPS from overseas maybe two weeks ago. Maybe he can shed some lights on this.

Huh??

When did this happen? :blink:

I got my SPS corals from LCK.

• SRC Member
Though of it before....

wanted a pal to bring them in from overseas but chicken out last moment...

dun want him to get into trouble....

Most SPS are classified under CITES appendix II.... protected specimens so actually requires proper paperwork... before they can be shipped across......

Was also wondering if only frags are brought across.... not a issue whether if its illegal but rather can they be kept conceal from any detection.....

:(

Most stony and soft corals are protected and considered endangered sp. Since the terrorism incidents checks have been stepped up. The allowance without license is only valid for:

Non endangered fish- like guppies etc.

Limited to a maximum of 3 litres of water

With a total of not more than 50 fish (fries, most likely)

If there are any queries you can go to the AVA website and find the address of the department to email your questions to.

• SRC Member

Gift???

Even drug pushers can call the drugs gifts to the addicts, with a small repayment???

I think if the customs are not sure what it is they are loikely to retain it and check up further.