My Silent Dual Surge Device

fecgoh

Now all you need is a pump that can T off water to the surge tank. If you look at my picture you can see I have a flow control nob at the "T" to control the surge.

The surge created is very random and strong. Sometimes left will surge, sometimes right and sometimes both. No LPS can be place on the top half of the tank. All fly! Even fish have a hard time being there. So for people housing SPS, this is a very cool and cheap DIY to get water moving. Total cost less than (Ringgit Malaysia) RM60.

Frankie

post-9-1080895664.jpg

Hi JC85,

The bulkhead in step 2 is around 2 1/2" wide. And the 90 degree PVC on the discharge side is 1". Surge created is strong for a 3' tank. If you have a longer or bigger tank, use a bigger opening for the bulkhead and 90 degrees elbow. You must scale up or down my surge plans according to your tank size.

Frankie

Wow! :bow::bow:

Great work of art! Just a question, what is the flowrate of the pump you are using? And what is the rationale of dual surge? Doesn't a single surge with the outlet at the centre of the tank be good enough to have random wave.

Btw, thanks for sharing!!! :peace:

Hi alvy,

I use Adobe Illustrator. Then I copy-paste to Photoshop to save as jpg. :D

Hi silverfish,

I use a 2400 l/h Ehiem pump but it is also T off to the skimmer. So I guess the actual water that goes to the surge tank is around 1000 l/h. The surge tank surge every 5 sec. dumping 7 gallon of water to the main tank. Surge tank empty in 2-2 1/2 sec.

I use to have a single surge tank. That one make random wave. But I wanted to design one that can also twirl the water and comes in 2 direction. I manage to get that with the new dual design. It is a sight to see 2 surging water go head to head.

My little contribution to SGReef! :D

Frankie

• SRC Member

great contribution, fecgoh :bow:

when i am into corals, will try to remember this thread. :thanks:

btw, is the SCWD suppose to do the same thing ? just asking, as i am not sure, but remember reading about creating random waves.

The SCWD need a strong head pressure pump and the out flow is less than what the pump is capable of. It is the reverse for surge tank. Little flow in but big flow out. The SCWD does create random waves but it cost a lot. The one good point I see in SCWD is that it is smaller size and easier to hide than my surge tank.

Great work!!! Some of the best graphics to date in SRC.. not to mention DIY!

Too bad a surge won't work for me as my autotop up will go crazy if the water levels keep changing...

Youe may use timer to control the surge pump and the auto top up pump if your auto top up is using powerhead.

Thanks guys!

My design is base on Eric Borneman's surge device. I manage to modified Eric's device to get rid of both noise and bubbles. I've post my design at Reef Central before cause they cant figure out how to get rid of the noise and bubbles. My design would have help them out a lot but not much respond there. :(

Frankie