New Tank

Morgan

That is what I though also.

I think the thickness of the material use play a part. The stand already support a 6x2x2 on the lower deck.

I do not think I will have a problem if I go for a 6x2x2 instead of the current size. Will test it out this weekend when I wash it.

The load bearing strength of metal is way stronger than wood.

Wood will have catastrophic failure compared to steel... which will bend before breaking.

Unless of course the welding was extremely slipshod.

Outdoors where your tanks are placed... I think steel would weather better than wood. Rust can be covered better than wood rot.

Consider again, Morgan... logic suggests.

• SRC Member

IMO, i dun suggest cabinets for anything bigger than 4 ft.. and especially for marine.. i kinda regret getting a cabinet for my 4ft.. the joints are rusting.. and me comtemplating to paint it.. but the fumes.. sigh.. :(

alternatively, i suggest that u get a steel stand, paint it with anti-rust paint or coating, then build a cabinet to hide the stand.. then u can silicon the tank to the cabinet.. problem solved.. at least that is what is in my mind.. unless ppl can help me to highlight any problems that i may oversighted and overcome them.. :lol:

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

When I built the stand, the legs are made from 1.5" square hollow stainless steel. This stand was made to take 2 tank of 6x2x2.

Becos of the length, the centre sagged a little. The bottom tank actually is supported by 2 ends and not the entire area.

I not sure now whether it can take the weight of a 6x2x2.5. Thinking of a alternative/solution.

• SRC Member

Hi Morgan,

I did a wooden stand fro my current setup of 5 by 2 by 2....

What I did was to ensure that the main tank sits on over the whole surface area of the stand.. basically weight of the whole tank rests on the 4 beams that's supporting the stand..

Next, get wood that is 4 by 2 inches...

My bottom tank also has its weight spread evenly ...

BTW, Contractor told me to use Chengai wood...

Only issue now is that your base tank is already a 6 footer unless your top tank is 2.5 foot width... then both tanks could get their weight spread out evenly.......

Hope this helps....

See the attached picture ...

post-7-1034819721.jpg

Well, if your metal stand is bent due to no support columns for the middle, then logic suggests that you built it in! (I sound like a Vulcan!)

Wood or metal, it will be the same thing!

Thanks for the advise guys :rolleyes:

Phang

Both tanks are 2' in width.

Making another stand will have the same problem.

I will get the stand builder to take a look and see what they can do to strenghten it.

S..t!!! need manpower to move if I have to tear down. The tanks are heavy.

• SRC Member

Did you just volunteered us? :o <_

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Baracuda...... Thanks for the offer I will take up it up someday.

Guys

As for ride to LFS, no problem can be arrange. But sitting space is very limited, own a very small car 600cc only not a merc.

As for my stand, waiting for the contractor to come and take a look and see what he recommend.