adding wheels to tank stand.

• SRC Member

just wondering whether anybody ever tried adding wheels to their stands. I'm the kind who likes to rearrange furniture regularly and it would be nice to have a "mobile" tank too.

just some quick calculations... a 3x2x2 main tank and 2.5x1.5x1.5 sump together with water would weigh about 500kg. LR and sand maybe add another 150kg. the rest of the equipment would be minimal, so total weight would be say 700kg.

if i were to make a comparison to those 4-wheeled trolleys. I remember when I was in school last time we did try to squeeze 6-8 teenagers onto one trolley and push each other around. we would have weighed 300-400kg combined and the trolley could still take all our weight.

So if I'm really kiasu and add 8-10 castor wheels to the stand, should be no problem right??? anybody else have more scientific way of determining whether it is safe? do the wheels that we buy at the hardware shop come with a recommended load??? :P

cheers...

• SRC Supporter

i guess it isnt recommanded as 1stly u got to move it often or the wheel might be stuck,2ndly it may be far too heavy to be moved,dont forget water is very heavy.

3rdly when u move it,the lr might fall or collapse.. assume that your lr are stablily stacked..

but pushing and moving the tank might stress the fishes in it :)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

I advise against it...

We (my hall) were building a float last year and we used castor wheels for one of our props.. had a lot of problems with them, in fact the more you have the more likely they will lock up.. just one locks up and you have a big problem already...

Also, if only 1 gives way.. that's it for your tank... be safe not sorry..

• SRC Member

Scary thoughts... one extreme, people are worrying about the floor of HDB withstanding the weight of the tank, and at other end you are comtemplating to put the tank on wheels.... lot of consideration, even if the wheel can take the weight, balancing the tank would definately be a challenge. Better be safe than sorry.

• SRC Member

hahaha,dats a really funny suggestion...put wheels on a tank?ok,firstly it won't look nice,secondly are u sure that the wheels can take the dynamic load?thirdly,how can u move it without the water slashing out of ur tank?and lastly,i would love to see a crazy idea that worked...hahahaha..i'll say go ahead and TRY it..den we can have more "giving up hobby" sale... :D:D

• SRC Member

very bad idea.. the wheels will give way one day and thats it.. worst than a leak.. whole tank crashing down.. <_<

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

I use the magic sliders. Placed them under my cabinet legs and they can slide here and there without scratching the floors. Available at DIY stores. They have different sizes for all types of weight. Even selling a jack to lift up your cabinet to place the magic slider.

Looks like this :

568852.jpg

or more info :

Magic slider

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member

How about getting those 6 to 8 teenagers to stay on the trolley for a few weeks and see if the wheels can still take the weight? :D

The magic sliders will probably be squeezed flat with the immense weight. A tank cabinet should far more heavier compared any others.

• SRC Member
I use the magic sliders. Placed them under my cabinet legs and they can slide here and there without scratching the floors. Available at DIY stores. They have different sizes for all types of weight. Even selling a jack to lift up your cabinet to place the magic slider.

Looks like this :

568852.jpg

or more info :

Magic slider

these are the same kind used for the bottom of some mouse right?

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/