Giving up

LiveRock

• SRC Member

Came back heart-broken last night to realise that power has tripped and all my fishes and corals are dead or half-dead.

Decided to give up hobby once and for all since this is not the first time the ELCB tripped. I have rescued the situation many times but last night's one is the ultimate tragedy. My area Woodlands is so prone to lightning that when there is a thunder storm, the lightning and thunder are terrifying; and power is most certainly to spike.

Well.... I am clearing first my Live Rocks, now in a pail of circulating new salt water. They won't last so I must let go all by today.

Just S$2 per rock.

Interested, please call 90909214. Please bring own container and call me first. I am in Woodlands.

• SRC Member

Hi Zero Oxygen......so very sad to hear that you are giving up :cry: .....is there anything you can do to prevent the ELCB tripping.....by getting a UPS... :huh: It will be a ultimate nightmare for any reefer.....

By the way how many kg of LR you have? How big is you tank?...may I ask?

• SRC Member
alamak kschew not me lah............. :blink:

it is Liverock ............. :lol:

a....pai say.....see wrongly...I thought it was you!?! :lol:

Liverock....just left you a voice message..... ;)

• SRC Member

Its only 60kg approx. for my 5 footer and another 15kg from my existing 2 footer.....so.....the more the merrier ma.....as I do not want to buy uncure rocks if I have not enough.....

Anyway....maybe keeping my 2 footer for smaller fishes......or maybe a lion fish....hahaha :lol:

(Liverock....pai say... :off: )

• SRC Member

Sorry, too overwhelming responses that I can't reply or SMS individually. My tank was more than 2 years and these rocks should be cured.

I will be selling other stuffs like UV, Ehiem filter, skimmer later too after I cleaned up everything.

UPS will not help in my situation as it won't last whole days. I have APC UPS, by the way.

• SRC Member
Sorry, too overwhelming responses that I can't reply or SMS individually. My tank was more than 2 years and these rocks should be cured.

I will be selling other stuffs like UV, Ehiem filter, skimmer later too after I cleaned up everything.

UPS will not help in my situation as it won't last whole days. I have APC UPS, by the way.

Interested in your UV also.....but may I ask how big is you tank? Mine is a 5 footer so need to make sure if the UV is efficient enough for the water volume.

• SRC Member
Came back heart-broken last night to realise that power has tripped and all my fishes and corals are dead or half-dead.

Decided to give up hobby once and for all since this is not the first time the ELCB tripped. I have rescued the situation many times but last night's one is the ultimate tragedy. My area Woodlands is so prone to lightning that when there is a thunder storm, the lightning and thunder are terrifying; and power is most certainly to spike.

Well.... I am clearing first my Live Rocks, now in a pail of circulating new salt water. They won't last so I must let go all by today.

Just S$2 per rock.

Interested, please call 90909214. Please bring own container and call me first. I am in Woodlands.

seems like im not the only one getting trips. the past week, whenever it rains and it always followed by thunder, my ELCB will trip. luckily normally trip around afternoon so it is a few hours before i come back. no casualty so far but i suspect the ELCB or earth is not done properly or should be adjusted to be less sensitive. maybe time to call in the electrician.

• SRC Member

seems like im not the only one getting trips. the past week, whenever it rains and it always followed by thunder, my ELCB will trip. luckily normally trip around afternoon so it is a few hours before i come back. no casualty so far but i suspect the ELCB or earth is not done properly or should be adjusted to be less sensitive. maybe time to call in the electrician.

dunno anything about ELCB...but last time I had the same problem in my old office...keep tripping....

Had a friend who was an engineer...he speculated that with too many PCs, there are leaks somewhere...so we either trace the leak (VERY VERY diffcult) or change the fuse or something to allow higher leakage (at a level that is still safe)...

We chose the later and the power trip stopped.... :P unfortunetaly, our office is carpeted, so end up a lot of static discharge! imagine shaking the hand of a female client and then a slight electic shock.... :angel:

Anyway, any engineer or electrician out there can confirm what to change?

• SRC Member

Liverock....I think you need to get a q-ing system or a first come first serve system.....just my opinion.

(Bro..Yus75...no hard feeling)

• SRC Member

dunno anything about ELCB...but last time I had the same problem in my old office...keep tripping....

Had a friend who was an engineer...he speculated that with too many PCs, there are leaks somewhere...so we either trace the leak (VERY VERY diffcult) or change the fuse or something to allow higher leakage (at a level that is still safe)...

We chose the later and the power trip stopped.... :P unfortunetaly, our office is carpeted, so end up a lot of static discharge! imagine shaking the hand of a female client and then a slight electic shock.... :angel:

Anyway, any engineer or electrician out there can confirm what to change?

no electrician here, but I know you can change the ELCB to a higher capacity to absord the high fluctuation in the currect.

I think HDB is using either 30 or 45 amps, you can change to 60amps...(but not sure whether HDB allows that)

• SRC Member

no electrician here, but I know you can change the ELCB to a higher capacity to absord the high fluctuation in the currect.

I think HDB is using either 30 or 45 amps, you can change to 60amps...(but not sure whether HDB allows that)

yes yes yes...thats what we did change the ELCB to a higher capacity to absord the high fluctuation :lol:

just not sure how safe it is....

• SRC Member

Thanks, kschew1498.

Just that I wasn't really prepared for this. I was still wondering if I should restart everything last night; you know, cycle the tank, redecorate, etc. but I figure I want to have peace of mind everytime I go overseas and not worry about my corals and fishes because of the power supply.

yes, it is first come first serve.

• SRC Member
Thanks, kschew1498.

Just that I wasn't really prepared for this. I was still wondering if I should restart everything last night; you know, cycle the tank, redecorate, etc. but I figure I want to have peace of mind everytime I go overseas and not worry about my corals and fishes because of the power supply.

yes, it is first come first serve.

bro, u got PM.