How long do you see yourself addicted to reefing?

loonz

How long do you see yourself in this hobby?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you see yourself in this hobby?

• Until I get another pet
    • Until I start a family
    • Until I find something better to do
    • At least for the next 3 years
    • At least for the next 6 years
    • At least for the next decade
    • At least for the next generation
    • Until my bank account runs dry
    • Until I draw my last breath

• SRC Member

Hi...recently a relative of mine decided to stop reefing only after less than a year. Inititally, he was overwhelmed with enthusiasm like most of us are. Yet, as time passes, perhaps he realized there are more important things in life like having to get hitched and raising a family and he is seeminly set to let it all go. Though i was disappointed as there's one less reefer less in this world but I guess his reasons are vaild. Just wondering how many of us here are seriously addicted into this hobby...let's have a poll and find out

• SRC Member

this is a good poll..........

1st started when 13 (for 6mths as FOWLR), 17 for 6mths too...FOWLR...now started more than a year.....still going on...getting better and bigger tank...not going to stop..even when have family...haahaa

Tank: 5 X 2 X 2.5

Sump : 3 X 1.5 X 1.8

Tunze 6060

Tunze TF08

Oceanrunner 6500

Deltec AP 902 Protein Skimmer

I-Aquatic Calcium Reactor

Arctica Chiller

• SRC Member

Sugest one more item to the list, ie. "Till too high work pressure do we part".

From the recent few reefers who'd given up due to work load/changes, the recent job market either add more pressure to working ppl or forces a change of jobs.

Those doing regional job and hardly in Singapore, the chances are high they need to prioritise and I am sure job comes first, especially those with families.

I am one of the potential situation. So none of the above choices suites me leh.

• SRC Member

Still, I believe that reefers who have to give up their hobby due to financial reasons will surely come back to the hobby when they have money again!! That's not really giving up reefing, is it?

Meanwhile they can keep Goldfishes... :lol: (Sorry, nothing wrong with Goldfishes) :lol:

I've also seen people give up the hobby before but only because they choose not to get involved in the hobby correctly and tend to overstock their tank or stock up their tank too quickly. This would eventually lead to numerous tank crashes or untimelty deaths of LS which would ultimately cause the reefers to give up the hobby due to high costs and massive disappointments.

• SRC Member

how long..?? let me see .. i fall in love with marine creature 5 yrs ago .. cannot start due to no money... reading up and research during that time...

started the hobby 6 mths ago ... found myself stand in front of the tank at least 1 hr a day..(usually 2 to 3 hrs)

looking at that ... i guess there is no way i will part with my fishes and corals .. :eyebrow:

WEll i having been cultivating my family interest into this hobby , and everyone are taking care of the tank . We are always out together whenever looking for corals or fishes, everyone seems enjoying this hobby....

Happy Reefing

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

hmm actually I am beginning to loose interest. As I no longer find it much of a challenge as before when I started. Sorry for sounding like a pompous ###### but its true.....

I mean I was so filled with enthusiasm and so willing to part with my money to get better equipment etc. But now, I am less keen to buy anything. And no coral catches my eye that easily now. Many times go farm visits and end up buying nothing. I haven't touched my tank for 3 months already. Its in full auto mode. Just feed daily thats all. Never dosed anything, never changed water never cleared my skimmer. Skimmer is almost flooded already hahahha. Parameters still 0 for everything including nitrate and phosphates.

But I do admit it was lots of fun reading and finding out what the heck I was doing.

Was tempted to give up a few times already cos no more kick. :erm:

• SRC Member
hmm actually I am beginning to loose interest. As I no longer find it much of a challenge as before when I started. Sorry for sounding like a pompous ###### but its true.....

I mean I was so filled with enthusiasm and so willing to part with my money to get better equipment etc. But now, I am less keen to buy anything. And no coral catches my eye that easily now. Many times go farm visits and end up buying nothing. I haven't touched my tank for 3 months already. Its in full auto mode. Just feed daily thats all. Never dosed anything, never changed water never cleared my skimmer. Skimmer is almost flooded already hahahha. Parameters still 0 for everything including nitrate and phosphates.

But I do admit it was lots of fun reading and finding out what the heck I was doing.

Was tempted to give up a few times already cos no more kick. :erm:

Things you can do to revive the interest.......

1)DIY your own equipment........

2)Maximise energy efficiency........

3)Re-scape, sell off all your corals and LS to me cheap cheap and start to collect only those exotic stuffs........

Eric