• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Hey...

Jus bought the salt for my mains... Coralife..

Hmmmm interesting..

They claims Magnesium levels at 1200- 1350 ppm...

and Calcium at 410 ppm....

Also gave small satchet of Trace elements for the 6.6kg bag...

In like the added Magnesium levels.....

• SRC Member

From my testing of Coraldeath salt, it has a decent amount of Magnesium as it claims. pH can be a bit low after sitting overnight, about 8.0-8.1, allowing higher values of Calcium.

I've never added those satchets of trace before.

Remember to wear the funky t-shirt for the LFS owner look.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Phang,

I don't know why. I think it is just the inherent flaw of the mixture. Lower pH will improve dissolvability, solubility and allow higher calcium concentration.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Is it related to how you mix the salt? What salinity or S.G. do you mix your water to?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Thanks Chanbi,

You reminded me of a previous thread about saltmixes....

Yap... did remember someone mentioning that coralife saltmix having that..

Quite substantial residue on the bottom of my tank.......

What should I do about this??? will it pose any problems for my reef...

I do however like the generous amount of magnesium bought in this salt mix.... :lol:

• SRC Member

Stir up the precipitate and turn the water cloudy. Leave it for a few hours. If the water becomes clear and the precipitate settles, and the salinity is right, then siphon out the water to use and leave the precipitate. Or the other way round- siphon out the precipitate. I don't think it is harmful, a bag of old Tropic Marin salt was like that and I used it with some precipitate lining the sides of a tub. Mushrooms sitting on the stuff never seemed to mind.

• SRC Member

As much as your back can tolerate before breaking! :lol:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

i usually dump the salt into the sump too.. hehehe.. lazy bugger.. anyway.. clarence, with 2ft, your tank tolerance of error is lesser and i do recommend doing weekly changes of water... to be on the safe side

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

i try to do every 2 weeks(most of the time every 3-4wks).

i use a cheap powerhead connected to normal cheap hose,i empty 1 8gal pail of old water then drag the another 8gal pail of new water to the tank,dump in the powerhead & let singapore power do the work.

For my 2fts- i empty half tank then top up using the old water(saltmix expensive leh!) from 4ft. same day, 1hr to do 1x4ft & 3x2ft.

i will reuse the water till it reaches 100ppm nitrates or turn yellowish...lots of other uses,from raising brine shrimp to holding feeder shrimps.

for ghost shrimp i use 50% old SW 50% old FW.

New saltmix started the day before change-

My other 4ft & 2x 2ft is FW & that i use hose to tap.

one thing about regular water changes, try not to wash your filter on the same day as a change- alternate your schedules between filter & water changes.

• SRC Member
Hi Phang,

just want to ask about ur LR stacker.

I'm keen to try this, so wanted to know if u satisfied with the stability & strength.

Can they take a few kg of live rock?

Will it topple easily if u accidentally brush hard against it?

thks,

Tiger,

Really depends on how you structure it... Eggcrates by itself are pretty rigid... However if you structure them together properly... you should get a pretty sound structure.....

The trick is to cable tie them together, therefore stabilising them....

The other reason why I employed the usage of light diffusers is the need to elevate the LR above the Sandbed.... didn't what dead areas due to the LR resting directly on it....

I have currently more than 70kg of LR over my structure and seems to hold well......

Eprouve,

I will try to get pics.....

Only managed to stacked up my rocks recently and only setup my MHs yesterday.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I've got a picture of Phang's tank. B)

post-36-1093875548.jpg