UV steriliser...

bubble_gum

coralife turbo twist.

This extends the contact him compared to other brand/design.

I am using the 36W one in my 4ft, no more ich :P

Newly added salifin tang (added 4 weeks ago) also no ich visible till now.

no white spots visible also even after I rescape my tank last week till now.

• SRC Member
Like to clarify, this is what I observed in my tank. Does not meant the UV sterilizer is the answer to ich. You buy already if not success don't come flame me :P

yup.... the uv only kills a certain life cycle stage of that parasite..

• 3 months later...
  • SRC Member

Sorry to reply to this thread after so long but I just got a coralife turbo twister and i have to agree that it appears that the white spots on my purple tang also begin disappearing after a few days. I guess those that were free floating were killed, and those that hatch from the fish and become free floating also later kena zap, so no new ich attacks and the white spots decrease.

Have to say despite the debate among people, I am now very pro-UV. Unless you need to have plankton in your reef tanks then maybe not so good idea. Mine is a FOWLR tank so it is very very useful. :)

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member

True, esp the 12x twister which really ensures long exposure to the 36W UV light. But cost is quite high, heard many people complain about that. However, it's still a lot cheaper than ozone i think :heh:

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member

not that i've heard, but it does kill plankton so be aware if your corals need that. :erm:

• SRC Member

Agree with Blenny that I think if you don't have many fishes you wouldn't really be concerned too much with UV. Still, good to have an experienced reefer give some advice on this.

I suppose if you drop the coral food right into the coral it should be fine, but you won't have much other plankton life swimming around.

• SRC Member

i think those with reef tank should maybe open the uv for 2 hours a day maybe on alternate days...

2 hours will be allow the uv to scan thru all the water in the tank... anyway uv light kills everything that is alive that enters regardless of beneficial or parasites

For me I on my UV 10hrs a day. Seem to work well for my mix reef. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381