Market prawn to kick start nitrogen cycle

• SRC Member

How big is the piece of prawn?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Quite big for a small tank. When it's all gooey and covered with white stuff, take it out. Watch the smell though!

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

As long as you detect a high enough ammonia spike, the prawn has done its work.

You can remove it if its too large and threatens to crash the tank... or though I highly doubt it. It may get eaten by bristleworms or crabs if they are present.

I heard of a story where a reefer put half a barramundi fish inside his tank to kickstart the cycle... needless to say, his house stank and his tank crashed. :pinch:

• SRC Member
I heard of a story where a reefer put half a barramundi fish inside his tank to kickstart the cycle... needless to say, his house stank and his tank crashed. :pinch:

:lol: if i know him.. i would suggest a big piece of stingray meat .. :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am doing my cycling too. Please advice how many days before remove? My prawn was in my tank for 2 days. It all covered with white stuff. No smell. Ammonia only 0.5.

I have use half 2/3 salt mixed water and 1/3 water from my old tank. used all old LR from existing tank.

Please advice.

regards-fooyl

Previous Tank 3 x 2.5 x 2 ft since year 2005. 23 Jan 2009 fully decom my 3ft. Now only left 24"x14"x16" and I am very happy cos can see all my fish in near range.. haha

When i was cycling my tank last time the shimp simply gone when i finished the cycling process. Basically u can take out the shimp when the cycling process finished ... so do the necessary test to determine whether ur cycling process is over or not. :D

• SRC Member

Fooyl: You can remove the prawn as the tank as this was what I did for my 4ft quarantine tank.

The "good stuff" from your old LR from an established tank are doing their job.

:D

aquatronica7na.gif

People Will Forget What You Said.

People Will Forget What You Did.

But People Will Never Forget,

How You Make Them Feel.

Thanks bro!!

:lol:

regards-fooyl

Previous Tank 3 x 2.5 x 2 ft since year 2005. 23 Jan 2009 fully decom my 3ft. Now only left 24"x14"x16" and I am very happy cos can see all my fish in near range.. haha