Stupid Me, Stupid Skimmer...HAHA

shoakoua

Yo bros,

Situation

I am definitely very green wif equipment so need some advice.

I had been using a cheap protein skimmer (ard $8) for quite some time. Was with my old 2ft tank then transfer to my existing 4ft.

It is those type that you need to stick it to the tank wall and it have a cup on top to collect the 'dirty stuff'.

Problem

The skimmer kept falling into the water!

No matter how hard my dad and I tried to secure it, it simply got loose in a couple of days and fall again, and of course, the precious 'collection' will go back to the tank...

Thus, is there actually a better type of skimmer that wont give such problem? Please provide me with the brand and model, if applicable.

Thanks ah!!!!

well, go with a better skimmer

you can try in sump or external skimmer with will never fall into the water :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

try to diy some stuff to hold on to the skimmer.....................

better to get a better-off skimmer.

any way ur skimmer is too small for a 4 footer............

suggest to buy a weipro 2011 skimmer cost ard 30 bucks brand new u can get....

• SRC Member

Give us a budget of roughly what price you are willing to fork out for your new skimmer? A good skimmer can cost upwards of $500!!! :)

Comments are welcome!

Do a beckett. :evil:

wow lau if he can use those air-driven skimmer he must new to the hobby and you people straight away recommend beckett. Don't frighten him away from this hobby la. Anyway what the point of having a beckett if he is just keeping some clown, damsel and softies etc.

Shoakoua go to any lfs and get a weipro 2012 or if better 2013. Should be many times better than your air-driven skimmer. You want i can give it to you but you gonna self collect and btw pump not provided.

• SRC Member
Yo bros,

Situation

I am definitely very green wif equipment so need some advice.

I had been using a cheap protein skimmer (ard $8) for quite some time. Was with my old 2ft tank then transfer to my existing 4ft.

It is those type that you need to stick it to the tank wall and it have a cup on top to collect the 'dirty stuff'.

Problem

The skimmer kept falling into the water!

No matter how hard my dad and I tried to secure it, it simply got loose in a couple of days and fall again, and of course, the precious 'collection' will go back to the tank...

Thus, is there actually a better type of skimmer that wont give such problem? Please provide me with the brand and model, if applicable.

Thanks ah!!!!

DIY your own skimmer with tupper-ware, that way you can customise it according to your storage and tank volume needs.

p/s: my diy tupper skimmer already superceded my weipro 2012 in terms of skimmate quantity and quality. Might be selling away my 2012 soon.

Eric

post-17-1084761435.jpg

• SRC Member

DIY your own skimmer with tupper-ware, that way you can customise it according to your storage and tank volume needs.

p/s: my diy tupper skimmer already superceded my weipro 2012 in terms of skimmate quantity and quality. Might be selling away my 2012 soon.

Eric

wah...serious ah..... tupperware!!!!!! can be really colourful if you succeeded in diy with the tuppewares!!!!! very innovative.... care to share your diy experience???

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

• SRC Member
wow i am surprise you can actually find a funnel that fits your tupper so well

Got to file the funnel to size lah.......tupperware you can get from carefour at $2 each. Cut off the base with a sharp pen knife and garden sissors. Drill holes with a holesaw (20mm) or those adjustable hole cutters and buy the nessesary pvc connectors,pipings(13mm),ball valves,sillicon & rubber ring seals from your hardware stores........mod your cheapskate atman impellers to needlewheel with bioball. You are ready to go......

Points to take note :-

1)Water outlet piping should be much larger than water inlet........I uses 20mm, which I regretted.......should have use a 25mm for better water level adjustment inside the skimmer so as to achieve dry or wet foam. The outlet piping should also be at the lowest point of the skimmer to prevent air bubbles from escaping.

2)A taller and wider collection cup will help the dry foam to easily push out of the riser instead of the collection cup lid obstructing the foam........will improve that on my next diy skimmer.

3)If room permits, go as high a skimmer body as you can and add in more re-circulation needlewheel pumps for more bubbles and longer contact time in the reaction chamber.

4)The inverted funnel plays a very important role of smoothen the flow of the foam travelling up to the collection cup. When I test it without the funnel, the foam have difficulty entering the riser thus the bubbles "join" back after sometime and the dirty particulate drops back in to the reaction chamber(skimmer body).

5)Drill holes or cut holes slowly and do not apply too much pressure or you will crack the plastics, if possible use a pen knife to go over the circle a few times before attempting to cut.

Have fun.......

Eric

• SRC Member
cool.....wonder if you can make a calcium reactor with tupperware also....

Hehe, haven't got time to read up on calcium reactor principle yet........but nothing is impossible until you try....

Eric