weishun's New 3ft Tank

weishun

• SRC Member

[JS] - Nope, before my new tank arrive, i have already prepaired water 5 weeks in advance in my 2 feet tank and another in my friend's 2 feet tank. So i think i have enough water to fill up my 3 ft tank. When the tank arrived, i just top up abit of water to fill the tank up a little.

• SRC Member

FuEL - My fishes all being kept in my 2 ft mature tank before i transfered into my new tank. And the water in my new tank is also from my old 2 ft tank which i transfered to the new tank. So shouldn't be a problem rite? The fishes are doing very well.

FYI he is using the same filter media as his old tank, thus a significant amount of bateria is transfered as well to handle the existing tank load (same bioload and bacteria amount, just more water). It should be fine IMO if livestock are added very slowly.

• SRC Member
FYI he is using the same filter media as his old tank, thus a significant amount of bateria is transfered as well to handle the existing tank load (same bioload and bacteria amount, just more water). It should be fine IMO if livestock are added very slowly.

FYI, during transfering, significant amt of bacteria die off when come in contact with the atmosphere. No doubts there may be survival but there will be a drop in concentration of beneficial bacteria. And tats referring to the LRs, as for the coral chip, they r most likely to be a nitrate factory housing debritis than to house any substantial amt of bacteria. Therefore this present 3ft tank using media from 2ft will not be enough to support the present new 3ft be it existing bioload or worst still more bio load. Wat ever dn has been dn and i would reckon u do a test on ur water parameters and recitfy the problem shd there be one.

Btw, the water level in the pix seem to reach all the way to the bracing or my eyes playin tricks on me :lol:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

make a the dividers for your 2ft sump tank 1st..........

use glass or acrylic to partition up....

silicon to join up in place..............

get resonable amount or coral chip or bio ball for ur sump........

join up all piping..............

looking 4 any diy overflow system in the diy section to make a overflow i box to siphoning water out frm main tank to sump

okay..I tried to explain wat I know.

for your tank, cannister is still alright.

but then you got to worry on your high NO3 level.

what u can do is stock up enuff LRs.. the bio media

in your cannister is more for physical filteration n not

bio filteration.

that is if u wash n change your filter media in cannister

it should not have any impact on your tank LS.

so u also got to have the optimal no. of fishes in your tank.

as for your current coral chips. use them back. it should be

slowly maybe remove eg. 1/4, then another 1/4 after your tank

system is established. constantly measure your tank parameters.

I am now cycling my 4ft tank. I am using bio balls n filter wool.

once the ammonia n NO2 is zero, I will do some water change to

reduce the NO3. after that I will slowly remove some balls n change

filter wool, monitor my parameters.

the chips n wool is good media for converting ammonia n NO2, but cannot

reduce NO3. n your LRs n sandbed can only reduce a certain NO3, while your

chips n physical keep on converting ammonia n NO2 into NO3. in time to comes

your NO3 in the tank will balloon. changing of water will only helps abit.

FYI, during transfering, significant amt of bacteria die off when come in contact with the atmosphere. No doubts there may be survival but there will be a drop in concentration of beneficial bacteria. And tats referring to the LRs, as for the coral chip, they r most likely to be a nitrate factory housing debritis than to house any substantial amt of bacteria. Therefore this present 3ft tank using media from 2ft will not be enough to support the present new 3ft be it existing bioload or worst still more bio load. Wat ever dn has been dn and i would reckon u do a test on ur water parameters and recitfy the problem shd there be one.

Btw, the water level in the pix seem to reach all the way to the bracing or my eyes playin tricks on me :lol:

Yep. Bacteria in liverock esp the denitrifying bacteria will definitely die off if they come into contact with the atmosphere. You denitrifying bacteria population will have to be re-established all over again.

Did'nt notice the bracing until jdn pointed it out. I would be cautious in filling the tank to the brim especially with such a thin middle bracing. :angel:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

I do not agree to the die off part, imagine if you lift your liverock out of the water for a few seconds or even minutes, I do not think there will be significant die off. Of course I do not know how fast is the transfer process, but how long will it take to move from one tank to another accross the room?

First, bacteria is a cellular life form, not even tissue grade, they are much more hardy then complicated life form, visible example will be algae, for those had algae outbreak before you should know what I mean, they do not get wiped out easily and reproduce like wild fire. They Even human were to go extinct they will not.

Second, their life span is very very short, from hours to days, thus so is their regeneration and reproduction capability. Such an amount of die off will not be a major impact to their population. Even you don't do anything to them they die very quickly and of course they reproduce before that.

Third, I think you are mistaken by the facts about anoxic and aerobic bacteria. Aerobic bacteria which dominates the surface of the liverocks do not die as long as the surface does not dry off. The more oxygen the more they thrive. Anoxic bacteria, which dominates the deep core of the liverock (low oxygen environment), will be killed if exposed to high oxygen environment. As it is deep in the core, it will still be wet, unless you are drying the liverock in an oven.

Fourth, The amount of nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria you need does not depend on the tank size or the water volume. But by the bio load. If the bioload is not increased there will not be much strain to the system. But I agree with you that he should not add fish so soon.

Fifth, the concept that "nitrate factory" does not harbour significant amount of bacteria is wrong. They harbour nitrifying bacteria, and lots of them, as it has huge pore size to allow oxygen to reach right to the bottom. But not denitrifying bacteria. Nitrifying bacteria colonise all external surface of solid no matter it is liverocks or substrate or bioballs. System without DSB or plenum system has negligible amount of denitrifying bacteria anyway. Thus exposure of substrate to atmosphere has little impact on the bacterial population. And a huge pool of denitrifying bacteria is not necessary in the sense that many people do without DSB and have sustainable tank, and as I said these tanks has no significant amount of denitrifying bacteria anyway. And lastly the term "nitrogen cycling" is refering to the establishment of nitrifying bacteria and does not include the denitrifying bacteria.

Sorry for the long post and hope that you didn't dozed off :paiseh: