Some Pics of Indonesia LFS

kschew1498

• SRC Member

ks.... lol..... did the immigration officer asked you if it was a marine or freshwater fish back den? if not den i suppose it's true that we can bring in not more den 50 pc of fishes by hand-carry... :yeah:

True hor :idea: ....He didnt ask!!........I doubt he can differentiate!!! :evil: I am afraid that he might want to taste the water to see if it is salty ma!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

OK....sui la......next trip I will definately buy!!!! kekekeke.... ;)

Jas......you can have your first pick!!!! hahaha.....

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Another email from AVA :

Dear Mr Tan,

ornamental fish may be either Freshwater or Marine fish that are solely for

display in aquarium tanks. You may bring in the ornamental fish according

to the quantity allowed for traveller as long as it is not endangered nor

is it restricted such as the Piranhas. For species, you are not sure,

please check with our office at 6751 9804.

regards

Poh Yew Kwang

AVA

• SRC Member

Thanks Vincenttan!

So confirm can liao lor!!!!! Yahooo....that give me more reason to go Indonesia!! :lol:

• SRC Member

True hor :idea: ....He didnt ask!!........I doubt he can differentiate!!! :evil: I am afraid that he might want to taste the water to see if it is salty ma!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

OK....sui la......next trip I will definately buy!!!! kekekeke.... ;)

Jas......you can have your first pick!!!! hahaha.....

sure boh???? :rolleyes::rolleyes: heee..okayz, next time will not request for imported fishes..... hahhahahah... :lol: when your next trip? :angel:

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

• SRC Member

sure.....just for you only....hahaha :lol: .....may I in return ask for a coffee from you? hahahaha :lol:

Anyway there is one thing which I am in doubt! All hand carry stuff need to go through the X-ray machine! Do I need to sent my live stock into the X-ray machine??? That will probably kill them.... :(

Can anybody advise? :huh:

can we get a copy of an official letter from them regarding this and then photocopy for reefers here....then carry with us whenever we want to bring stuff back from overseas....this is great news...

we can openly paste the letter in front of the bag of livestock and declare that we do not want the livestock to go through the Xray machine :)

• SRC Member

That's a brilliant idea, Rodian!! :idea: Vincenttan.....can make a request for such a letter since you are already in contact with the AVA? I hope it will not inconvenience you too much! :lol: Thanks in advance!

• SRC Member

wahhhh...if such letter is obtained, can the mods put it as a sticky so that anyone of us who is interested can download it or print it out and give it to the inspectors at the immigration counters so that we can declare and avoid going through the x-rays like what ks suggested..... :idea: **getting pretty excited by the idea too** :idea:

KS...no problem!!! BLACK? SUGAR? CUPPACINO? DECAF? ..hhahah...wat you want? :upsidedown:

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

Sorry, I’m a bit late to respon on this thread. About shark and turtle, yes it is a pity for us and for concern people, that actually this fish shouldn't be sell in the market, even I’m not agree with this trade, but here in Indo, yeah, I don’t mean to underestimate our government people, but money “really talk here”, yes it is very ashamed, but we can’t say nothing. :evil:

Turtle is a very sad story and a "very funny story" recently, because the government are make a decision to do a conservation in turtle, and they even decide one of our thousand island to become isolate island for the turtle and there is government people work there to take care of the turtle, but because there is many baby turtle sold in the market, I became suspicious to the people live in that island, I might think that the biggest problem comes from that people I mean they probably are the seller of that turtle. :evil::pirate:

About the holiday here in Indo, there is a lot of "HOLY" day, in our country, because there is multiple people and culture, so here every religion will celeberate their HOLY day, for ex, even we chinese here are celeberate IMLEK day or GONG XI FAT CHAI, and in IMLEK we are off duty also. So i hope this statement will clear your unknown about why here we can off duty.

Marine hobby is not a new hobby in this country, actually there are already establish from mid '70, and LFS in Sumenep street are as old as this hobby in our country. But, it's a pity with around 30 years exsistencies, there are very little gain in knowledge, for ex : may be 90-98% of the reefer will still think that coral will not survive long in the captivity, and they will continue to buy live stock every other weeks or months. This sad story is happen also in FO/FOWLR. We here are lack of knowledge people that willing to train the LFS and newbie, many of our veteran hobbist will not share their experience or even worse giving wrong explanation. You will amaze here if you ask what is and how important is the skimmer, and the answer is we don't know the usage or we are already use it and ofcourse our system is in top notch right now :blink:, wow it's a pity :yeah: . So almost 90 % of our reefer is not using halide lamp, and even though they use it they will buy cheap bulb and only changes it when the bulb is totally broke. So as long as the bulb is still on they will not changes is even though already 10 years. So, there is so many mis-perception that encounter marine hobby in my country.

About 2 months ago, Planetg also came to Indo, and i accompany him to one of our exporter, and you will amze with the prize. here all Acro and Montipora spp will only cause you 2-4$ Sing. And for Red Anemone for only 30$ Sing. But imported fish, such as fish from caribbean, red sea, hawaii and pacific are very expensive here. For ex : for small size of yellow tang is about 50-70$ Sing, for mid size is about 70-110$ Sing, and adult size is about 110-150$. :evil:

• SRC Member

Pak Asfur.....guess you need to work double hard to advise and change the Indonesian reefers' perception! :( Honestly, its is huge consumer market in Indonesia! Maybe you could start with a Class....or some sort of a Activities! Was wondering till date, how many registered members are they in the Indonesian Reef Club?? Are they any sponsors?? kekeke :evil:

By the way, we didnt see much SPS in Sumenep huh? :huh:

You were telling me there was another place beside Sumenep.......maybe on my next trip, we can go there kekeke :evil: ......but only at your convenience! ;)

We can only handcarry ornamental fish back but corals are a no no... I think the amount of paperwork you have to do for AVA clearance is a killer!

Pak Asfur.....guess you need to work double hard to advise and change the Indonesian reefers' perception! :( Honestly, its is huge consumer market in Indonesia! Maybe you could start with a Class....or some sort of a Activities! Was wondering till date, how many registered members are they in the Indonesian Reef Club?? Are they any sponsors?? kekeke :evil:

By the way, we didnt see much SPS in Sumenep huh? :huh:

You were telling me there was another place beside Sumenep.......maybe on my next trip, we can go there kekeke :evil: ......but only at your convenience! ;)

Pak Asfur.....guess you need to work double hard to advise and change the Indonesian reefers' perception!

----> Hi, actually i already warn about this. For ex : better start with FO and just put several hardy spp, and after 1 or 2 years start gain to FOWLR with more delicate fish and though invert like crab or shrimp, and last if you have more money to spend then you might change to Reef Tank, but until then if money is still your big concern, then you might not enter to Reef Tank. But, what do you think, who cares, LR and coral are very cheap here, put modern tech is very costly, even some of our local forum member which is a leader of local coral fisherman are given advice : better you go dive with me our my man and take LR or coral as many as you wish, i will give you my base price, even they eat big adult emperor angel or blue ring annularis for their dinner. Amazing, they eat a US $ 250 fish for their dinner.

Honestly, its is huge consumer market in Indonesia! Maybe you could start with a Class....or some sort of a Activities! Was wondering till date, how many registered members are they in the Indonesian Reef Club?? Are they any sponsors?? kekeke

----> Actually there is not specialize in marine but covering all about fish, so i cover FW and SW hobby, and the member is already reach 1800 person (if i'm not wrong guessing), but the most active member may be only 10% or less, medium active member is also around 10-20%, and the rest is just post for less than 10 or 20 posted or even worse they don't post all the time, they are only put their name without do nothing.

By the way, we didnt see much SPS in Sumenep huh?

----> SPS is consider a "precious coral" and expensive by export market, so the exporter are already buy all the SPS from the fisherman, so the local market is not receive the SPS. But in exporter SPS is not rare to see.

You were telling me there was another place beside Sumenep.......maybe on my next trip, we can go there kekeke ......but only at your convenience!

----> No problem bro, i will take you whenever i have time, but you must sure that you can go out on work day, because exporter are not work during holiday.

Hello all, Hello KS. Wuahh...a good news now for you, next time you could buy lots of fishes back to Sing, but of course u should also check the airlines, cause some of them won't let u hand-carry live fish on-board (Emirates won't allow u for sure, I asked before)

Ho, No...I think it would be very difficult for Indonesian Reefers to change their perception of taking good care of reefs, unless there are regulation that put a very high taxes on those corals, then they may be a chance. As long as is still cheap, rarely people will mind the real knowledge of reefkeeping. In fact some of them from Forum think those techonology and knowledge of marine aquarium available today are created only to the advantage of Western & develped countries. So there are resistance of learning of new knowledge (education background and being spoiled by the abundant of the Indonesian marine resources are the main issue here).

At the end, many of them are still maintaining their traditional reefkeeping knowledge.

• SRC Member

Sigh! So sad......here we treat these corals like precious gems......and we share our excitement and satisfaction if they grow in our tanks......Sigh!

Anyway, its really an eye opener! Thanks Pak......