small aquarium set-up

• SRC Member

i plan to get a 1.5 ft to 2 ft tank for my room with a jebo brand hang-on filter w/ skimmer.

as for lights, will be using the usual lights, nothing specific.

substrate, perhaps get a good quality one from aquastar or so.

just add a few LR and LS (not more than 2" fishes, max qty 8) when water is cycled. That's abt it. Nothing too heavy.

Will the jebo brand filer w/skimmer be able to handle this load?

appreciate the advice.

:D

• SRC Member

to be frank, jebo sucks....

i would rather u save the money and buy more LR....and forget about mechanical filtration.... :lol:

but on the other hand....u might wanna invest on at least a weipro skimmer....not very expensive and also not very good as well....but if u are on tight budget than i think this is the best choice...

2ft tank with 8fishes?? hhhhmmmm....a little over stock....unless u are thinkin of 8 damsels....any other fishes will be too big.....

for a 2ft tank, i recommend 4-5 small fishes to keep them happy....have a few shrimps and snails and hermit crabs, to give your tank more live...

i think 8 fishes is a bit off ... the bioload will be high ...

maybe u can tell us ur budget , then i believe most of us can advice according to ur budget ... ;)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Forget bout the Jebo, get the prizm from lightningstrike, provided he gives you a good price :lol: weipro too big for your tank if you are not having a sump, takes up alot of precious aquaspace... prizm is hangon type, saves space and looks good, though skimmate quality is not that impressive, but for 2 ft tank should be fine.

As for lights, if you dun intend to keep light demanding corals (which i think you eventually will be tempted to), go for nothing less than power compacts.

And for bioload, pls keep to less than 5 fishes, 8 is too high...

• SRC Member

IMO ... youdont quite need to get expensive sand..... no need ... cheap number 1 coral sand will do..... will cost lesser..... so u can get the prizm skimmer..... its no point getting argonite sand ... it will just be a spot for bacteria to cling on to..... i know this because i was conned into buying argonite sand too...... by a notorious LFS (a@*aM%%t)

• SRC Member

cool replies guys! tks for the info! but what exactly is the function of a skimmer? anyone has a pic on a prizm skimmer?

i dun intend to keep light demanding corals for now. just need a little beauty in my room to relax.

and the fishes i wanna keep are all small fishes like damsel sizes, nothing too big.

tks for the note on substrate. saved me a bundle already. :)

my upmost concern would be the filter. it has to be gd at keeping my water parameters right. if jebo is not a gd idea, what kinda filter would u guys recommend?

• SRC Member

For 2ft tank with low bioload, its easy to get the filtration part done. If you dun intend to go for sump, get a hang-on protein skimmer and maybe add in a cannister filter (eheim). Together with your liverocks and sandbed, you will do fine.

Damsels?? You really wanna keep them? :fear: i have had enough of these little monsters, key point to note, dun put in what you may not be able to get out... :lol::rolleyes: why not just go for clowns and gobies? a better combination IMO...

• SRC Member

yup, i dun intend to go for sump. i want the tank really small and neat. cannister filter sounds great, but how does it fit exactly onto my tank? i've only had experiences with hang-on filter, and in fact, i tot of a hang-on type filter and protein skimmer so that the whole tank will look real neat! (i hate bits and pieces, nitty gritties all over) :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

pardon my ignorance, but is petmart available in singapore? anyway i surfed the site and i can't seem to find any brand eheim. found it at www.eheim.com though.

• SRC Member

tks. been to the site. no eheim filters. gotta go down to the shop i suppose.

btw, it seems that a canister filter works the same way as a hang-on filter. i guess a canister filter is more 'powerful' in cleaning the water that's all? otherwise i dun think there's a diff. ya?

i was reading up and it seems i can't spot the diff. bet. a hang-on and canister filter.

would be great if someone can point out the differences that make canister filters such a gd recommendation.

• SRC Member

Hi

if you are looking for Eheim canister filter you can find the whole range at Qian Hu Fish Farm www.qianhu.com

However the price there is slightly "Ex" than some LS outside. They are the main distributor and service centre for all Eheim product range.

You will find the staff there giving professional advice like some LS outside.

just mine 2 cent.

i am using Eheim Pro 2222 Canister for my 2 feet FOWLR with 8 fishes but 4 are clown fishes, 1 alage blenny, 1 mandarin,1 tomato clown and brazilian gramma

If you like damsel 1 have 1 domina damsal to give away.

someone already book my hermit crab(for adoption). jus give out 2 clown this morning for adaoption to reduce bioload.

• SRC Member

moxa, ur set-up sounds cool! well, i can see myself having ur set-up. how much did ur eheim 2222 cost u? anyway do u have a skimmer? i was told 8 fishes were alot for a 2 ft.

• SRC Member

Hi,

Yes i use skimmer and 2 of it. Common skimmer.

Planning to have a external sump in near future so I can have a skimmer at in the sump.

I juz took a picture of my current tank to show you what i have.

Oops dun know how to upload the pic.

For the price of the Eheim 2222 is hundred plus but should be below $200.

Though I juz bought it few months I can't relveal the price i got for certain reason.

Edited by moxa

• SRC Member

if you really on budget go for the cheapo china brand Jebo canister filter lor.....can be purchased below 70....

Anyway, if it is a fish only tank, i don't think you will need even a skimmer....run my 2 footer without a skimmer and just canister for 2 months....but then bio-load was very low with only 1 clown and 1 small blue tang...

finally got a Primz skimmer, because i got interested in corals....