My Reef Maniac Pro Fluidised Reactor!

Achilles Tang

FRpro.jpg

Using Contraphos Konzentrat as my main phosphate remover media and wanting to maximize the effectiveness of this product in removing phosphate quickly, I searched for various options in using it in fluidised reactors.

Inspired by Bawater's conversation of a china-made Fluidised sandbed reactor for such usage, I sought out alternatives to it but without the limitations of not being able to unscrew the cap for easy media entry and disposal.

In the end, I DIYed one out of acrylic body and PVC threaded cap. It worked but it was a pain to use due to the fine nature of the media making it difficult to close up the unit because the grains constantly got into the threads and made it hard to close up the unit. I have now decommissioned it but will use it as an emergency carbon reactor.

DSC04358sidebysideDIYandprofr.jpg (DIY unit shown without inner parts/Reef Maniac FR Pro just filled up with Contra K)

I got hold of the prototype unit of the Fluidised Reactor Pro Series from Reef Maniacs, which makes my DIY look rather shameful by comparison...hehe...

Having used the Reef Maniac FR Pro series for a few weeks already, I am impressed by its ease of use, the clean look due to precision machining, the easy sealing of the O-ring and easy removal of the cap without having to remove every single nut... just loosen the nut slightly, twist and pull up for removal and slot back in over the bolt/nut and twist and finger-tighten!

DSC04445reefmaniacprofr1removecap.jpg

The Reef Maniac Pro series differs from the Standard Series (4" diameter) by having a thicker chamber (5" diameter) to hold more phosphate removal media and also comes with a hang-on chamber for Granulated Activated Carbon (GAC).

DSC04320Reefmacprofrgacremove.jpg

The GAC hang-on chamber is also easily detached from the main chamber without disrupting operations by an Eheim 'Double-tap-connectors with quick release coupling' accessory, to have its contents easily changed out without spilling any water.

The unit comes with a smooth-working true-union ball valve with hose adapters on both ends for the water inlet.

For the outlet, you have to get the 'Double-tap-connectors with quick release coupling' accessory and the smaller ballvalve separately to control the amount of water flow through the GAC chamber (as the water flow is supposed to be tuned down even further).

DSC04445reefmaniacprofr1.jpg (filled up with Contraphos Konzentrat and Reefez carbon)

The Reef Maniac Pro FR eliminates the need for two separate reactors and two pumps as the water outlet from the main chamber can be made to divert into the GAC chamber and the smaller ballvalve not only helps to reduce back-pressure from the main water outlet but also helps to tune the water flow into the GAC chamber.

DSC04320Reefmacprofrgacremove2.jpg

The usage of fluidised reactors for both phosphate-remover media such as Contraphos Konzentrat and Rowaphos and carbon means that you get maximum usage and efficiency of the media compared to filter media bags which tend to clog over time and by its inherent nature, having poor water flow-through inside the bag.

DSC04445reefmaniacprofr1zoomgac.jpg

The Reef Maniac Pro Fluidised Reactors are well-made, well-designed and priced reasonably for the quality & function and an alternative for more branded versions from Germany & the USA.

- a quality review from AT.

I second AT.

this is a very good product. feels sturdy and firm...looks like a work of art, and feels like one too. it doesn't look like it is a product of DIY, which makes the sleek design all the more appealing.

now only waiting for Joe_P to launch the add-on for GAC tube. :P or if he does special order, I want one. :P

• SRC Member
I believe the Reef Maniac product range is considered beyond DIY now. He's gone commercial... does custom built jobs now. ;)

Laser cut acrylic cannot be considered "DIY". Hope to see a "Made in Singapore" product gain international aclaim!!! I support!!!

• SRC Supporter
hmm. I wonder who here is interested in the GAC add-on. maybe can consolidate an order and then try to convince Joe_P to fabricate it for us! (=

Well, you can give it a try...

If enough interest is generated, I will consider getting the unit into production. B)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Drop joe_p a PM :D

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif