Best MacroAlgae for REfugium

ryz

• SRC Member

What is the best Macro algae to use for a refugium? In terms of efficiency in exporting nutrients and safety(chance of it going sexual etc)

Where will I be able to obtain a considerable amount of it at a rather cheap price?? Please advise a location preferably in the north... Thanks..

I'm currently using 'Caulerpa taxifolia' and 'Ulva fasciata'(sea lettuce)

Is it advisable to use these two species?

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member
caulerpa racemosa. aka grapes if I am not wrong. its overgrowing everything I have in my refug. can spare you some if you want. let me know.

Wow, do you think you can spare some for me?

• SRC Member

Check this ( Is this good ? )

http://species.fishindex.com/species_2754c...e_caulerpa.html

Caulerpa racemosa----great macroalgae. sops up excess nutrients,nice to look at, and a good food for herbivores. but beware!! if you discover one day that your tank is kind of cloudy, almost milky, watch the cualerpa closely. when it comes time for reproduction, the cualerpa gives off the milky white substance, then dies within a day or two. it will first lose all of it's color, then completely disintegrate, anf make a mess of your water quality.

post-7-1086366878.jpg

read that if you keep 24hr lighting and regular trimming, the risk if it going sexual is greatly reduced :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
read that if you keep 24hr lighting and regular trimming, the risk if it going sexual is greatly reduced :lol:

does this goes for all types of macro algae ?

SBS_Transit

Hi all,

actually I read that the caulerpa is not a good species becasue it actually release chemicals into the water causing the water to turn green and may affect corals in larger quantities.

Anothony Calfo and Bob Fenner and all the guru from reef central and wetwebmedia all suggested using other algae is a better choice.

I have currently four different types of algae .... they are all very stable, does not turn asexual, grow fast and it actually effective in reducing diatom in my main tank.

They are red gracia algae, red bandoo, chaemo spagetti algae and some unidentfied brown algae which I harvested from east coast beach

I have the picture of the four different species in my tank thread :

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...pic=16812&st=45

I will probably start havesting them and give them away say one month later.

Cheers

On yeah one more thing,

when I was keeping the caulerpa (both feather and grape) species and I was harvesting it ... when i cut the leaves , the broken branches actually releases some milky sap into the water .

The milky stuff I think is toxic in large quatities. It all depends on your skimmer to skim it off.

Cheers

• SRC Member

Currently have 4 different types in my ref.. just bought two rocks of culerpa racemosa and one rock of red bamboo for 10 bucks! and as previously mentioned I also have Ulva fasciata and Caulerpa taxifolia.. Do you all think the racemosa is too overgrown already? should I trim it? I think I will use the harvested MAcro as food for my tangs.. is there any way to make them grow on a piece of rock?

post-7-1086421369.jpg

Live and Let Live