Problems with my lightings

Hi, i currently using T4 light tubes. My fish are ok, just that my coral(my clams) are not surviving really well whereas my bubbles are mushrooms are doing fine. Is it that my lightings are not good enough for my clams? is T5 a whole lot better then T4 to keep clams?

• SRC Member

T5 is probably the minimum you can go. To keep your clams happy and healthy in the long term, best bet is to go for MH. How big is your tank? your depth? Without enough light, you will begin to see your clams turn brown and the flesh starts to recede...

• SRC Member

Wat kind of T4 tubes are u using? u have to give us more details to figure our the problem.

1) your T4 tube- what bran, how many watts/tube, colour (kelvin) total no. of tubes.

2) your tank- how tall is your tank

3) your live stock- what kind of coral/clams are you keeping? some coral require higher level of lights and some could survive in lower light level... Also, the placement of your coral/clams which is dying.

4)Your other water parameter- NO3, NO2, PH, KH, and ammonia are few basic parameter to test. Your fish can survive does'nt mean your water parameter is fine. Fish usually have higher tolerant level than invert..

I wish i can get a MH lights. but mine is only a 2 feet tank without a chiller. thus i dont want my fish to be cooked. Actually i forgot the specs of the lightings. Threw away the box. But my tank is about 1.5 feet tall. The rest of the inverts are doing pretty fine. it's only the calms. Are there some diseases which only affects calms? not the rest? So i should get a T5 is it? Can pm me the estimated price of a 2ft T5 lights? Thanks.

Hi pangz..........guess your T4 is 55w (from CR) as there r not many T4 out there beside CR.

Frankly, T5 is just sufficient only & u must put the clams high up especially smaller clams (3 inch & below). Anyway, T5 doesn't comes cheap except Dymax. However, it will not be as bright as CR's T4.

Advice, go for 2nd hand chiller & MH (150w will do since your tank is 2feet only).

• SRC Member

used to have 3 tubes pf PL lights about 2x36 + 1x55w....place them 1 inch from the surface of the water and they are quite bright....but then they heat up the water to 34 degress, so ended up with a chiller...clam does seems to open up and 1 even start changing from brown to blue....

finally realizing that I'm already using 100++ w of power, so switch to 150w MH.....in the end i guess not point wasting time and just go MH directly.....

Get MH direct? one thing that i am afraid of is the major hike in my electricity bill too. If i were to get MH plus chiller, i think my monthly electric bills will explode man. Somemore it's my dad's who's paying the bill. so don't really want to add on to it. 70W MH. issit bright enough? How much did you get it for? Can pm me? Thanks. You mean T5 is also not bright enough? Shucks. i think i should give up the thought of rearing clams and make my tank a FOWLR tank, till one day i decide to upgrade. But ani one have ani idea how much a T5 or MH for 2ft cost? roughly the price? Thanks

• SRC Member

I run 250w 20K MH on my 3' tank

Sad thing was my clam RIP , after 3 weeks:(

So bit wonder what cause my clam RIP :(

Or my mistake I didn't feed him any thing :(

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

You mean i can get one set of 70W MH lights for less den $200? Where can i go purchase it? but i heard the temp of the water will rise by a few deg rite? you mean fan will be able to maintain that? Okie. Then it's worth considering buying it.

You mean i can get one set of 70W MH lights for less den $200? Where can i go purchase it? but i heard the temp of the water will rise by a few deg rite? you mean fan will be able to maintain that? Okie. Then it's worth considering buying it.

If u r willing to part with 200 bucks, go for 150W. Beside Vxxxxxn, i think no one else sell 70W MH. So replacement will be a worry if they also stop bringing it in.

• SRC Member

me... 150W MH with 40W FL and 48W PL(refugium... on 24/7) tank temp goes to a low of 24 when air con is on and rises to 27.8 in the afternoon without aircon... I also run one AC fan 24/7...

I know of many ppl using MH without a chiller.

Live and Let Live

I dont really like to on my fan 24/7, i on it for about 12 hours a day. from 12am-6am and 12pm to 6pm. if not i think all my water will have been evaporated when i come home. I know that MH is hot. and that it's best to have a chiller. But i don't think i want to get a chiller. budget you see. so. MH plus fan(12hours/day) Can? If i just wanna get a 150W MH maybe 10000K. Should i get some PL lights that to come 'partner' it? or just the MH lights will do?