Resun MD40

terryansimon

I'm interested in getting one for my tank and I've got a few questions to ask.

can I use this pump to power my Teco RA680, Coralife Turbotwist 6x and Reef Maniac's Fluidized Reactor and my AquaC EV180? I'm intending to tee-off from the main output to the various equipments... this is how I intend to go about it

==> one pipe/hose tee-off to RA680. this pipe/hose will have a ball valve to control flow so that it will not exceed a certain rate for my RA680

==> one pipe/hose tee-off to Coralife Turbotwist 6x, whose output will be the input for Reef Maniac's Fluidized Reactor. will also have a ball valve to throttle the flow

==> one pipe/hose tee-off to AquaC EV180 skimmer. will also have a ball valve to throttle the flow.

is the above mentioned process possible? or is it too grandeur? :P also, will the pipe/hose sizing be similar? otherwise must spend $$$ to replace them again. sian 1/2

awaiting your friendly opinions/comments. (=

by the way this pump will replace three pumps...so really hope that it will work. but need some guru to some advice first. :P

you know what? damn. :P

how about I power my chiller and Coralife Turbotwist and Reef Maniac's Fluidized Reactor with it? seeing how I only need to tee-off to two components.

eh wait.

4500l/h? I think enough what...EV180 = 2000l/hr. Turbotwist = 800l/hr. chiller = 800l/hr. hmm.

how come not enough? care to enlighten me? (=

get the MD55 lah. more power.

n then u got to ensure that you are able to control how much flow goes where. quite difficult IMO. tee off maybe 33% each device.

using the valve also not veri accurate IMO.

I used to run 60-70% off my MD55 to run my return + two weipro skimmer. Really power. Not sure the rate for MD40.

4500l/h? I think enough what...EV180 = 2000l/hr. Turbotwist = 800l/hr. chiller = 800l/hr. hmm.

There is two parts of the pump.

1. Flowrate

2. pressure

It's like current and voltage in electricity.

After the Resun MD40 has to push thru all the piping, Tee etc the pressure also lost already. Remember it is not pressure rated so the lost is more then it might not have enuff pressure to drive your EV-180 spray injector.

Give you an example, I tried to Tee off from MD55 to drive my EV-240 and the other used for main tank return, already not enuff flow.

Anway you can give it a try. Have you bought the MD40? I tried to use the MD40 to drive my chiller only thru abt 3m of tubing and the flow is already pretty weak.

• SRC Member

In my opinion, I think the chiller, the UV, the fluidized reactor do not required pressurated pump. So by tee-off from a pressurated pump, you lose the power that can be better utilized to drive your skimmer. Also, tuning it can be a hazzle and any adjustment made on the chiller, UV and fluidize reactor is going to affect your skimmer performance.

I would suggest to buy a cheap pump of 1000L/hr and drive the other 3. From a piping point of view is also a lot neater.

I was actually thinking of decomissioning my Eheim 1262 meant for close loop and using it to drive the skimmer and tee-off to the Coralife Turbotwist.

and using my existing 1048 to power my Teco. hmm.

weileong...even if you lend me hor, I may not have the pipes/hoses lying around. hur. must go source first. *mutters*

If your mind already made on either the MD40 or MD55 (both takes the same hose size) then you'll have to do the piping so get it done then plug the pump in after that you can go buy the right pump.

Partick: The MD40 is not pressure rated. The MD55 is way way way too powerful for the EV-180 so you have to Tee off and hence do not waste the power! Not too many skimmer can take the MD55, even the EV-240 needs to tune down the flow.