Red Sea Prizm Skimmer

Anthony

I second Zerocool's comments. Mine has been running about a year and is set exactly like how zerocool described - water just below the o-ring.

In one week, I get about 3mm of wet skimmate in the collection cup only. But in the funnel (the part that narrows), I get really thick, smelly, dark gunk coating the sides. I think this is what you really want from a skimmer. I believe how much wet skimmate you get in the collection cup is not so important. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

• SRC Member
it might be possible that one doesnt feed his fishes alot and much less coral food, and that the skimmate is teacolored throughout?

mine has 3 fishes n 1 shrimp, few corals...tea color all the way... :huh:

possible.. but check your skimmer, could be set too high.

skimming out more salt water instead. :blink::blink:

• 5 months later...

I have been using prizm for sometime for my 55gallon reef....... IMO this skimmer is not really that good beacuse of the sound it produce and skimmate is usually tea in colour unlike those black kopi- O but those with small compartment for skimmer, prizm is a good choice

• SRC Member

i've been using mine for a few months now.

i get nothing....

very little skimmate.

bubble below the O-ring...

there's some gunk inside, its broken in ,

but still very little.

but i only have 1 trigger in tha 2f

which i feed every other day so...

maybe thats why

• SRC Member
I have been using prizm for sometime for my 55gallon reef....... IMO this skimmer is not really that good beacuse of the sound it produce and skimmate is usually tea in colour unlike those black kopi- O but those with small compartment for skimmer, prizm is a good choice

:snore: u trying to ans all question in src to gain back 2000+ post :eyebrow: ? :D:lol: that is 6 months old :off:

• SRC Member

I've been with the Prizm for more than 1 year. On my 4 ft tank, it produces half cup of dark skimmate with solid waste in the sides of the funnel every 2-3 days. I've compared it to schuren and weipro and discover that my Prizm is producing as much as these two. It waas only after a few months of kicking in that I now get good amount of skimmate. IMO, unless I move up to a 6 ft, the prizm can do the job as good as the others. My next consideration would be euroreef or H&S.

I think (marine) therefore I am

Hi, try this setting for those who is unable to achieve getting foam.

1) Turn off the air control valve.

2) Turn the water flow valve until the water rise to about 2.5cm below the o-ring ( the black rubber ring).

3) When this is achieve, turn the air control valve until you see foam forming.

4) Try to "Very Fine tune" fine tune the water flow valve.

If your skimmer is new, the first few days you will get lots of white colour foam. after that you will see less foam but more concentrated foam.

You should then get your result. For those who have salt water in the contain, this means over skimming (waste of salt water) try ajusting the water flow.

Hope this help user of prizm user. :pirate: