Bicolor angel does not eat

Can anyone help? I have bought my bicolor angel for 2weeks and 3days. It does not eat the food that i give it. It is still actively swimming about, occassionally grasping at the live rock. I have tried to feed it fish food and algae flakes but it just ignore them. I also tried dipping them with garlic but still it just ignore. I am afraid it might starve itself to death.

Any sucess story around?

post-8-1087884544.jpg

• SRC Member
Can anyone help? I have bought my bicolor angel for 2weeks and 3days. It does not eat the food that i give it. It is still actively swimming about, occassionally grasping at the live rock. I have tried to feed it fish food and algae flakes but it just ignore them. I also tried dipping them with garlic but still it just ignore. I am afraid it might starve itself to death.

Any sucess story around?

Look thru' post by Asfur.

He gave numerous feed to temp the angle to eat. One example would be clash crap claw or scallop.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member

Mine eats "live" brine shrimp or "monkey", OSI Marine Spirulina flakes, and NLS pellets ... a glutton! ;)

aquatronica7na.gif

People Will Forget What You Said.

People Will Forget What You Did.

But People Will Never Forget,

How You Make Them Feel.

Bicolor is quite a touchy dwarf angel, and if your water parameter tank is not good enough to make this fish "feel" comfortable, then keeping bicolor is a difficult task. But if your water is okay, then you can follow the tips above, it should be work.

• SRC Member
Bro, try putting live Brine shrimp, the movements of the BS might excite the fish to take a bite! :)

Vincent Ho

yah!! RAV is right!! ..

it happened to my bicolour before too .. i took rav's advice, feed live BS .. and it starts eating .. it works .. :idea:

My water condition is ok, but it still does not eat. I even tried dried brine shrimp but it is still on hunger strike. I was thinking hatching the live brine shrimp from egg will be too small - shop owner told me those were only for fries, so i got the dried adult brine shrimp. Where can i get adult brine shrimp? :(

• SRC Member
My water condition is ok, but it still does not eat. I even tried dried brine shrimp but it is still on hunger strike. I was thinking hatching the live brine shrimp from egg will be too small - shop owner told me those were only for fries, so i got the dried adult brine shrimp. Where can i get adult brine shrimp? :(

Where do you stay?

Most LFS that carries marine would most likely have LBS.

IMHO you have 2 problem :

1. This is the biggest problem, may be you buy a cyanide fish. Because most of cyanide fish will eat greedily or worst not eat at all.

2. There is other fish that bully your bicolor crazyly and your tank is not big enough, so the fish is very affraid comes out of their hiding places.

3. Your water parameter is very bad.

IMHO, bicolor although a fuzzy eater, but given a few days up to a week, healthy and unbullying bicolor will comes to eat mostly everything that enter the tank. I just introduce a bicolor about a months ago, and for only a few days, he hide on the live rock, but after that he comes to compete food with other fish, and right know i hand feed the bicolor.

IMHO you have 2 problem :

1. This is the biggest problem, may be you buy a cyanide fish. Because most of cyanide fish will eat greedily or worst not eat at all.

2. There is other fish that bully your bicolor crazyly and your tank is not big enough, so the fish is very affraid comes out of their hiding places.

3. Your water parameter is very bad.

IMHO, bicolor although a fuzzy eater, but given a few days up to a week, healthy and unbullying bicolor will comes to eat mostly everything that enter the tank. I just introduce a bicolor about a months ago, and for only a few days, he hide on the live rock, but after that he comes to compete food with other fish, and right know i hand feed the bicolor.

Master at work again! :bow::whistle:whistle:whistle

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

My bicolor died :cry2: After being with me for 1 month. Had not seen him eating even thou it is swimming around quite frequently. No other fish is bullying it and the water condition is ok. Tried feeding live brine shrimp and frozen food but still it wont take the bite.

I am wondering should i buy a flame angel to replace it or should i get my hand off dwarf angel? Any comments?

Where can i get a flame angel and how much?

• SRC Member

you might want to let other people know your current setup and bio-load. Also the water parameters that you measure eg. NH,No2, even No3......

many people squezee tens of fish into a 2 footer and still claims that the water parameters are ok.....8)

My advise is also don't get a flame angel until you are sure you'll ready...

• SRC Member
My bicolor died :cry2: After being with me for 1 month. Had not seen him eating even thou it is swimming around quite frequently. No other fish is bullying it and the water condition is ok. Tried feeding live brine shrimp and frozen food but still it wont take the bite.

I am wondering should i buy a flame angel to replace it or should i get my hand off dwarf angel? Any comments?

Where can i get a flame angel and how much?

Can you intro your tank setup and how many LS do you currently have in your tank?

you might want to let other people know your current setup and bio-load. Also the water parameters that you measure eg. NH,No2, even No3......

many people squezee tens of fish into a 2 footer and still claims that the water parameters are ok.....8)

My advise is also don't get a flame angel until you are sure you'll ready...

tineng is given correct opinion, too many aquarist are put too many fish in his tank. Also i don't think flame are better choice compare to flame, eventhough i never experience in keeping flame, but i think it is the same difficulty, as i mention before bicolor is not an impossible fish to keep, but you shouldn't be too hurry to introduce bicolor to unmature water.

Bro,

did you take the readings of all your parameters? ammonia and nitrite MUST be zero... If not you're not there yet.... also, the readings have to be taken everyday 3-4 days when your tank is new.... Introduction of fishes have to be slow.... If your fish have problems eating food that you feed, try putting some sponges in... :)

Vincent Ho

PS: Sorry about your bi-colour... :(

post-34-1105890976.jpg

I have a 2 feet tank which i have established for 5month using cannister and live rocks. No corals. My water parameter is PH=8.0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=0, amonia=0. I take my reading at least once a week. Anyway, my LS is 1common clown, 1damsel, 1 mandarin, 1boxer shrimp. i stock them really slowly.

• SRC Member

Bi colour angels used to be very tough. But from what i read, over collection has weakened the strain and they're much weaker than they used to be, hence susceptible to disease.

I very much prefer the hardier ones like flame, flameback, multicolour...

• SRC Member

hi shaohui.... sad to hear that your bicolour has passed away.... well.. did u acclimatised it properly.. like putting it in a betta container and try feeding it 1st before letting it go... most of the time.. when we released the fish straight to the tank... it will try to feed on food which they are used to eat in the wild... and also depends on the fish nature... most of the time.. the fish will reject the food we introduce.... unless they are very comfortable in the tank... As for your 2ft tank.. what is the width and height... izzit 2 x 2 x 2... if your tank size is that... well keeping of bicolour angel should not posed too much of a problem esp when your parameters of your water is good..... but if your tank is smaller esp so if your tank size is 2 x 1.5 x 1.5 then keeping an angel fish will really posed a challenge to you.

I have a 2 feet tank which i have established for 5month using cannister and live rocks. No corals. My water parameter is PH=8.0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=0, amonia=0. I take my reading at least once a week. Anyway, my LS is 1common clown, 1damsel, 1 mandarin, 1boxer shrimp. i stock them really slowly.

Bro,

try to beef up your PH to 8.3, coz at night, the PH drops.... Also, wat about your SG? phosphates level? Are u using a good skimmer?

Juz my $0.02... :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

Bi colour angels used to be very tough. But from what i read, over collection has weakened the strain and they're much weaker than they used to be, hence susceptible to disease.

I very much prefer the hardier ones like flame, flameback, multicolour...

Mulitcolour?! very ex leh... Anybody has one here in SRC??

Vincent Ho :lol:

post-34-1105890976.jpg