red alga all over the sand

rockfish

• SRC Member

Hi all,

my freinds tank have red algae all over the sand bed looks like coraline agle but it grow too fast and the reddish look make then tank looks a bit ugly ..

anyone can advice .. ?? or wat is that .. ??

will post a pic tonite foru u guys to identify ..

• SRC Member

Sounds like cyanobacteria.

I guess the tank must be overstocked and have very little water movement.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Hi,

any live stock eats cyano?

Thanks

regards-fooyl

Previous Tank 3 x 2.5 x 2 ft since year 2005. 23 Jan 2009 fully decom my 3ft. Now only left 24"x14"x16" and I am very happy cos can see all my fish in near range.. haha

Yup... as long as one of phosphate or nitrate became a limiting factor it will go away.

Did you test for phosphate and nitrate?

What I do is to use my fingers to crush the layer everyday and prevent it from forming a film (sounds crude I know), the same theory as using a powerhead but IME the power head will create some unsightly holes hehe...

• SRC Member
Yup... as long as one of phosphate or nitrate became a limiting factor it will go away.

Did you test for phosphate and nitrate?

What I do is to use my fingers to crush the layer everyday and prevent it from forming a film (sounds crude I know), the same theory as using a powerhead but IME the power head will create some unsightly holes hehe...

Alternative method, buy the 3ft fork thingy from the LFS and disturb the sand once in a while (like 1 to 2 weeks a time).

*Note: Make sure your skimmer is working and filter media is clean before you do that as all the "@#$%^&*" will start floating in the water.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

I may be wrong.......

Last time when I use 10K PL tube over my tank I always got cyno and diatom all over my sand bed.

Ever since i switch to 14K MH, the cyno is gone, though diatom exist, but minimum.

Can I conclude that higher color temperature prevent cyno growth? Or is it bcos of MH that do the wonders?

I may be wrong.......

Last time when I use 10K PL tube over my tank I always got cyno and diatom all over my sand bed.

Ever since i switch to 14K MH, the cyno is gone, though diatom exist, but minimum.

Can I conclude that higher color temperature prevent cyno growth? Or is it bcos of MH that do the wonders?

Yup... Generally speaking, the bad algaes prefer lower colour temp. Better one actually prefer bluer light, like coralline :angel: