Buying A Car

nqh71

My friend working at HSBC, which handles all the loans coming from Borneo Motors, said that BM inform them middle of the month that they will be selling less cars because they have already met the quota. Based on commisions, those SE easily get >$10,000/month.

I think BM is trying to not sell too many cars or else Toyota Japan will want more sales next year.

that's the way how all Japanese firm works........ demand more and more IBT year after year...... :angry:

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend working at HSBC, which handles all the loans coming from Borneo Motors, said that BM inform them middle of the month that they will be selling less cars because they have already met the quota. Based on commisions, those SE easily get >$10,000/month.

I think BM is trying to not sell too many cars or else Toyota Japan will want more sales next year.

Hi Tanzy,

What does it mean for us consumers? Price goes up or down? Is it the best time to buy or not?

• SRC Member

Based on what I have seen this year, the family 1600cc cars are all competitively priced relative to each other. I would say, these cars are a good buy now for the consumer. The prices have dropped compared to 3 years ago. There really isn't an expensive or overpriced car or cheap car, you pay for what you get. In other words, if you pay more, you often do get more with the car; pay less, get less. Simple. Problem is that the COE prices have been steadily rising due to demand from the many new cars being registered. Expect waits of 3-4 months for the new car in popular colours. If possible, bargain hard! If you can get >$1500 off on top of the sale price of the car, BUY IT!

The worst time to buy car is when people get their bonus!

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Actually cars are not much cheaper than before because the PARF has been dropping. Scrap value decreased with price of new car decrease equals to no cut in overall depreciated amount. But because many people only look at absolute cost of car and think that 70K for 1.6 is cheap, they don't mind paying a bit more for COE. In the end, COE go up and govt smile. When these cars due to scrap in 10 years, people wake up from dream and curse and swear.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

PARF dropped from 80% to 65-55% OMV. 20% isn't that much actually. For example, Ford Focus price dropped by nearly $10,000 compared to 3 years ago. That's more than the 20% in PARF. Ford Focus OMV is about $14,000, so 20% is only $2800.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Initial drop in price is substantial but with COE moving steasily from $22000 last Nov to nearly $30000 now, the margin of 'gain' (drop in price) is narrowing and may soon eclipse zero mark.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

I would expect COE to continue to rise at least a few more months because the orders for cars have already been made and there is a backlog in demand for COE to register all these new cars.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

actually the purchase of a car is seriously subjective.

i've shortlsted a couple of makes (Toyota, Mitsu, Honda) when i wanted to order the car a couple of months ago.

Notice no Sunny cos I'm dead sick of my sunny. Why? There are tons of Sunnys on the road. Damn sian.

Actually I dun really fancy Mazda until the 6 came along. Kind of changed my point of view. Those Euro influence really changed cars like Mazda 626 and Cefiro. Even the lastest Proton looks rather good.

If it's fuel consumption u are concerned, get the Altis. (full stop) dun bother with the rest. no fight. But then pls ask ard cos if u are always with full load, then surely u cannot beat those claimers for excellent fuel consumption cos they're alone all the time

As for me, I'm a sucker of interior, design and comfort for 5 in the car. I have a big butt and when my parents and me feel comfortable behind, it says a lot. Plus the overall feeling towards the car is so good that I put the pen down for my Mazda 3. Already waited for 3 mths and 3 more mths to go.

Till now no regrets and I dun think I will regret it if someone tells me the car cannot run or high fuel consumption. When an idiot like me pays $76k for a car, no other 1.6litre car can give me the feeling and comfort i get with the Mazda 3. Yes, it is heavy and highly underpowered but i'll probably be contented with my steering wheel (with music controls), beautiful rims, solid driver seats and the manual override. Top it up with a Creative Muvo or iPod and my pair of Oakleys, i'll take any Chio Bu along the way!!!! :lol:

• SRC Member

No lah bro.

Mazda will never be the best seller! They are targeting european markets and not tiny puny South East Asia.

Reason I suspect for delay is that they have low volume of production. Thus wasting those chassis for 1.6 litres and selling them cheaply to SEA don't make much biz sense to them. ;)

• SRC Member

that's the way how all Japanese firm works........ demand more and more IBT year after year...... :angry:

Hmm American Firm are worse.

But if u lookinto the telecom market, local firm are worset...........

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

It seems that everybody has their own take on the cars... Thanks so much as now I have a more in depth knowledge of the cars... Next thing to do is the test drive before doing the decision matrix thingy...

• SRC Member
PARF dropped from 80% to 65-55% OMV. 20% isn't that much actually. For example, Ford Focus price dropped by nearly $10,000 compared to 3 years ago. That's more than the 20% in PARF. Ford Focus OMV is about $14,000, so 20% is only $2800.

The PARF drop is one thing, but do not miss out the ARF which is about 150%? Lost touch now that there are so many changes as mine is bought more than 2 years back before the start of the changes.

Adding all the changes in taxes, the cost of cars has dropped. But the money you get back when you scrapped the car is also less (PARF).

Guess the best way to buy cars with the least profit magin is to look at the onemotoring website where they make a tabulated breakdown of cost of a car. Well, Performance is tops with the largest profit margin, a sale of 320i makes a profit of at least $25,000, last checked some time ago. At one time, corolla has a profit of only $1000, making it the least profit margin.

It seems that everybody has their own take on the cars... Thanks so much as now I have a more in depth knowledge of the cars... Next thing to do is the test drive before doing the decision matrix thingy...

my opinion, buying car in singapore is about budget = requirements...depends on your priority concern....space for family or FC or Performance or just getting from point A to B, re-sale value, etc ? thats' for the ride on Singapore road....

to me, I'd never let the monthly installment more than 20% of my take home income.....15% or less the best.....can spent the rest of $ for investments, entertainment,etc....or maybe reefing for the guys here..don't get overwhelm by what other ppl think about your choices of brands/models...warranty similarly 3 years ....more importantly is to one's worth and seek the car that fill your "needs" of having a car....

• SRC Member

nqh71,

When you buy a car, don't forget to ask for free stuff .... :D but not sure what you can ask .... nowsaday everything is there .. reverse sensor, extra tuffkote maybe, floormat ., V-kool maybe , LCD screen if you are lucky ....

• SRC Member

Just got my COE at $30,400! :cry:

Exceed 30K. I don't think it's a good time to buy cars now. :erm:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

the new toyota logo looks a bit like mazda's huh?

or am i the only one feeling this way?

Hey Tanzy..sure u can afford it lah...but 30K is very high i must say....been steadily rising these few mths...must be cos of the bonus announced...

• SRC Member

A bit sad. Should have bought earlier and save 10K.

Early bird gets the worms.

I would advise buyers to wait till the market cools down if you can afford to be without a new car until the end of the year.

COE for this month

CAT A $28331

CAT B $30400

CAT E $29999

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member
Just got my COE at $30,400! :cry:

Exceed 30K. I don't think it's a good time to buy cars now. :erm:

You bidded yourself? If yes, then you may have a problem to get a car without COE if you have not got one. Most dealers sells with COE, to earn more money of course.

Why don't you bid for the open cat? More flexible IMO.

• SRC Member
You bidded yourself? If yes, then you may have a problem to get a car without COE if you have not got one. Most dealers sells with COE, to earn more money of course.

Why don't you bid for the open cat? More flexible IMO.

Dealer bid for me when I bought the car but I have to pay for the COE.

post-36-1093875548.jpg