weileong's 4ft tank - Part II

weileong

• SRC Member
tonight is skimmate colour comparison night ah...

let's have guiness stout tonight....on the house :lol:

roidan.. look at your skimmate.. for a 2m high skimmate u still product that kind of black skimmate..

you are way under skimming.. quick upgrade to 4m high skimmer.. to meet your huge amount of anthais and fish and super heavy feeding..

Wow Roidan, your skimmate is really amazing.. really black coffee!

heee....actually nothing great one lah...

if one has many fishes or big tangs....even if use a weipro will get nasty skimmate also :)

best indication of how well the skimmer is performing for our systems is to observe parameters like nitrates....if nitrates are 0.....then whether the skimmer cup shows alot of skimmate or very little skimmate, shouldn't bother us too much :)

if it shows alot of skimmate and yet nitrates are still significant, means the skimmer is not good enough....if it shows little skimmate and yet nitrates are still significant, means the skimmer is not good enough also...hehe

It's all a matter of bioload and tunning :P

In fact is my skimmer is self-draining I would prefer a lighter skimmate so that skimmer will work better, don't need so frequent cleaning of the neck.

Sign.... no money buy self-cleaning head, even got money, deltec also don't have the self-cleaning head for his model.

hehe...underskimming? dun think so lah....nitrates back near to undetectable so i am pretty pleased with it....i remembered with my aquaC and H&S...nitrates crept slowly to a peak of around 5 to 10 ppm as the fishes got bigger and i fed more....that's why i embarked on the quattro....and now since the quattro on dual mode is bringing nitrates down to 0, to fire the other 2 for a full-quad operation is probably better or grossly overskimming but unnecessary from my point of view for now

coz i am running a fish and lps tank....unlike sps tanks like you guys...i shouldn't deprive the system of too much nutrients ;)

• SRC Member

So what is excetly point of having big skimmer ?

To reduce NO3 to 0 ?

And...... what else.

Me thinking of getting one but still can't convint myself yet

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

i dun think there is an exact point of having a big skimmer or not...

rather, it is having a skimmer that can aid your system in coming to equilibrium faster and easier....

if your current skimmer is unable to cope with your system's loading demands...that means you need a better skimmer, whether it gets bigger in size or better in technology is another thing...

probably u can also increase oxygenation to the water faster and easier with a stronger skimmer...but you must be mindful that there is a saturation level when it comes to oxygenating the water also. :)

• SRC Member

Questions:

1. If you guys are feeding so little, how do you keep your pui pui tang? Now a day I have to feed about 10 mysis cube a day. But fortunately, my nitrate is still zero thanks to my dual beckett and refugium.

2. Do you think overskim will remove Magnesium in the water?

Thanks,

Patrick

Overskimming will not deplete Mg. Using Kalk for water topup will deplete Mg.

Feed better food like good pellets and stay away from stuffs like mysis and you'll have lesser waste and fatter tangs.

Having an efficient skimmer will reduce the load on your biological filtration. When your biological filtration cannot handle your bioload then you'll see your PO4 and NO3 slowly creep up. Remember more feeding also increase bioload as well.

• 2 weeks later...