Skimmate from Macro Needlewheel...

flubberina13

• SRC Member

He still negotiating and I feel that issue is quite sticky so will let you know in due cost... :)

Just pray hard that it will materialise...

I know Thailand also has them already so dun know why the current supplier still procrastinating... :(

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Just come back from HK and saw them selling the needlewheel model..AS300 (i think) Not cheap, works out to be around S$300-S$400

Did not buy because I'm afraid that I might get the wrong model....

any contact from HK, maybe can ask friend to bring back.

• SRC Member
Just come back from HK and saw them selling the needlewheel model..AS300 (i think) Not cheap, works out to be around S$300-S$400

Did not buy because I'm afraid that I might get the wrong model....

For that price...quite worth it. :) That is the biggest size they have.

I'm using the second largest one. Should have bought the biggest also... :rolleyes:

If i had to choose between the biggest macro needle wheel and the biggest macro venturi, which one should i go for?

The only thing is, the biggest macro needle wheel is a much smaller skimmer than the macro venturi.

I'm wondering would the needle wheel out perform a larger venturi?

• SRC Member
If i had to choose between the biggest macro needle wheel and the biggest macro venturi, which one should i go for?

The only thing is, the biggest macro needle wheel is a much smaller skimmer than the macro venturi.

hehe...the biggest macro venturi is like 6foot tall and 2foot wide running a pressure rated pump ;)

• SRC Member

For that price...quite worth it. :) That is the biggest size they have.

I'm using the second largest one. Should have bought the biggest also... :rolleyes:

darn should have gotten it.....by wifely face was very BLACK as i when into almost very single shop in Goldfish street....twice.... :P

• SRC Member

I find the Macro venturi's bubbles are already so fine...........is the needlewheel bubbles even finer? I believe both skimmer are as good be it Venturi or Needlewheel........but if you are looking at maintenance, wear and tear for long term wise, the Venturi will beat the needlewheel.

It would have been a better skimmer if the collection cup inner riser is bigger in diameter.............the foam comfirm can match the "big riser" beckett.

Eric

I find the Macro venturi's bubbles are already so fine...........is the needlewheel bubbles even finer? I believe both skimmer are as good be it Venturi or Needlewheel........but if you are looking at maintenance, wear and tear for long term wise, the Venturi will beat the needlewheel.

It would have been a better skimmer if the collection cup inner riser is bigger in diameter.............the foam comfirm can match the "big riser" beckett.

Eric

WOW! The macro's foam production is on par with a beckett?? Or it would be if the inner riser was bigger?

• SRC Member

Just for sharing purposes..........I just found out the "restriction" of the Macro Venturi skimmer............the riser is too near to the top of the collection cup cover thus hindering the foam from overflowing into the collection cup & as it stays longer on the tip of the riser, the foam bubbles burst and dirt will be trapped on the riser itself.......not too efficent IMO.

After I remove the collection cup cover, the foam production is so much better.....do not worry abt the foam overflowing out of the cup cos the distance between the riser and the cup is quite large, the foam will fall into the cup :-)

Have fun!

post-14-1090509626.jpg

wow! excellent tip eric! Is that another skimmer i see in the background? a macro as well? I was wondering about doing that running both a venturi and a needle wheel so i get twice the skimming power and the advantages of both technologies. I can also stagger the cleaning of the skimmers. what do u think?

• SRC Member
wow! excellent tip eric! Is that another skimmer i see in the background? a macro as well? I was wondering about doing that running both a venturi and a needle wheel so i get twice the skimming power and the advantages of both technologies. I can also stagger the cleaning of the skimmers. what do u think?

Thats not another Macro, its a weipro, I using both the Macro and weipro........both also not bad, can still get dark kopi' skimmate if water level is set lower.

After removing the cover, now the Macro skimmer can produce twice as much more skimmate than before...........design flaw....

Eric

Thats not another Macro, its a weipro, I using both the Macro and weipro........both also not bad, can still get dark kopi' skimmate if water level is set lower.

After removing the cover, now the Macro skimmer can produce twice as much more skimmate than before...........design flaw....

Eric

Bro, how much clearance is there between the riser and the cover?

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

Eric

So both ur skimmers are producing good! How big are is ur tank? Do u think i should get the macro needle wheel or the weipro to go with my macro venturi?

• SRC Member

So both ur skimmers are producing good! How big are is ur tank? Do u think i should get the macro needle wheel or the weipro to go with my macro venturi?

Of cos if you can afford, get the needlewheel macro..........but then again, if ur macro venturi is working good, why do you need another skimmer?

Mine is a 300L tank. I have shutdown my weipro despite its good skimmate to release some space, save on electrical and cut down on heat to the water.........will be using the compartment for my 2 x linked Fluidised reactors......my single Macro venturi is giving very dry foam now plus my bioload is very low, so no problem.

Eric

• SRC Member

Bro, how much clearance is there between the riser and the cover?

The clearance between the riser and the cover is barely 1-2cm, too little IMO......should have atleast 2-3 inches of gap between the riser and cover for the foam to flow freely.......although the cover does have a weir, but still not as effective as a big gap.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
:off:

Can I know what is the difference between the needle wheel and venturi? It seems to me that the fundamental principle of this 2 units are the same.

Also, which one will be more efficient?

:thanks:

Needlewheel is using the mechanical moving impeller of the pump to draw in water/air mixture and chopped them in to tiny bubbles using the needlewheel impeller.

Venturi uses the principle of water velocity(flowrate) passing through a narrow chamber which then expands again, this causes a pressure differencial & therefore naturally suck in the air. During the process where the air enters the chamber, the speed of the water chop it into tiny bubbles.

Both Venturi and Needlewheel are equally effective in producing fine bubbles. There are many other factors like the height, diameter of the reaction chamber, sizes of the riser.......etc vs the pump capacity & methods that determines the skimmer capability.

If you are looking at maintenance cost, of cos the venturi will supercede the needlewheel, unless you are using titanium impeller. Which will probably last you a life time.

Eric