hw to cure live rocks

If you have phobia of hitchhikers like crabs, etc simply kill the liverock by soaking them in freshwater. After that put them in seawater and cycle your tank. You won't need to add any market prawns,etc.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Up to you..not really neccessary if you are keeping big fish. But since I will be keeping teenie weenie stuff I most likely will be killing all my liverock. Maybe a 1-2 day soak in ph 7.0 freshwater. :evil::eyebrow: Then after that maybe subject any possible surviv0rs to pH shock by dumping some kalkwasser in. Then drain the water and replace with seawater and wait for my tank to cycle.. :rolleyes: Don't think anything could survive on my rocks after all the torture.. Bwauaha.. :evil:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Fuel, isn't what you're doing effectively buying a live rock and turning it into a dead rock? Why so extreme treatment?

I've heard of ppl leave the rock out of water, in the sun for one week. Tends to wipe out anything. Can also cure that way, sure get a lump of dead rock one :lol:

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

Up to you..not really neccessary if you are keeping big fish. But since I will be keeping teenie weenie stuff I most likely will be killing all my liverock. Maybe a 1-2 day soak in ph 7.0 freshwater. :evil::eyebrow: Then after that maybe subject any possible surviv0rs to pH shock by dumping some kalkwasser in. Then drain the water and replace with seawater and wait for my tank to cycle.. :rolleyes: Don't think anything could survive on my rocks after all the torture.. Bwauaha.. :evil:

whao, good idea sia.............. :lol::lol::lol:

just bought 20KG too add in to my existing tank LR's. and i took out everything, wanted to do a total restack....To my horror, when i took them out and put into the pail without water.. :o Lots of things that i see will make me :pinch: man... :angry: ard 4 Huge crabs and 2 blister worms.... And ard 20-30 Small * i mean real small, MIrco* Mantis Shrimp........ :angry::angry::angry:

Now i am confussed and after reading yr suggestion..nw :rolleyes: now all my 30KG are out of water in a pail...hope this will kills all of them....or do i need to add more tourting :nuke:

anw, good advice.. :thanks:

• SRC Member

Hah hah...

Just to share my experience...

I have a professed phobia for hitch-hikers.

THis is what I did the last time when I tried to get rid of hitch-hikers:

1. Dip LR in tapwater for 2 days.

2. Remove all exposed hitch-hikers

3. Hypo-salinity treatment (Soak in super salty saltwater) for 1 day

4. Remove yet more carcasses

5. Rinse with tapwater and leave to air for 2 days

Some of the feared hitch-kikers include:

1. Worms

2. Crabs

3. Isopods

4. Mantis shrimp

At the end of about one week, I still find some hitchhikers on the (by now, dead) rocks which are elusive and I cannot get at!!!!!

That is why I only use DEAD rocks now.

Any crabs, no matter how herbivorous will still be harmful to your LS especially if you intend to keep teeny weeny stuff like I do.

Better be safe than sorry man...