Is the grass really greener on the other side?

weileong

• SRC Member

have worked outside S'pore for 11 years and have stayed in places like phnom penh for 3 years and Badak (Kalimantan for 1.5 yrs).

You will be treated like king there and you can live like one but still find that home is still better though things are really expensive here. I guess it is the culture and group of people that you grow up with. It is hard to let that go and most likely you will not find the same again.

• SRC Member
Is there anyone who wanna migrate to a third world country instead? :rolleyes::P

This has always been one of my dreams. :P

Wanna build my home from scratch, maybe have a long house that has many rooms and children, not necessary mine though...since I'm not a pig... :lol:

Plant my own vegetables, rear my own animals and maybe near the shore with the possibility of building a kelong. And walk or have horse rides when I wanna travel far. :rolleyes:

The old lady's character in Home on The Range would suit me well... :P

Self-reliance... :rolleyes:

But alas...still haven't got the opportunity to fulfil this dream. :(

And wonder if the society has already maketh the man. :(

CARPE DIEM... :angel:

Agree...3rd wrld country is probably the way to go...just as in now u live in 5-rm or exec flat then decide to sell n get 3-rm...u have spares and can do investments, the things u like (sparingly)...of course....living in 1st wrld and having seen progression and the "kan-ness" will help u to be shrewd in doing some small biz and make overall survival easier.....that is of course u dun choose a country that needs to drive miles+ miles apart over rocky terrain to access hospital....got ur daughter ganged raped....sold into slavery......used.....etc.

So having travelled a fair bit, i think South Africa is one good place where there is a good balance....but high in AIDS...then again if its time for u to die......u can bath..slipped...get choke in the wc or knock ur head and die just like that.....

South Africa....rich in flora n fauna.....rich in sea life.....wildlife etc. a researchers haven and a gateway to "Eden"

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

I would plan to go to China when time comes...but is to the 2nd or 3rd tier City, Not places like Shanghai, Suzhou, Guangzhou.

some of these cities I went have sufficient stuff to keep you occupied, but yet not too crowded with local migrants, and with decent living standard, and where the Big city are just nearby, abt 2hrs drive to Shanghai, and 1hr to Nanjin.

:D

To remain here, unless our big boss can find a REAL new solution to rescue the economy. :pinch:

monitor the minor crime rates trend, and you can't imagine what will happen in 5-10 years down the road.....quite scary.... :unsure:

• SRC Member

yah...indeed very picturesque... :yeah: but I only been to the South Africa and not the North. And Sun City is just so extravagant... :o

And boy!!! their helping is so huge...I remembered going for a safari hotel buffet and a whole lamb was put on the table during buffet... :shock::shock::shock:

• SRC Supporter

i have been to australia brisbane for some "work"

the place is good to relax and get new friends,australians to me are rather helpful and friendly.

how ever,i will not stay there as their livestyle is too slow and relax...will get lazy soon for me! haha

i think that since im born here,i better die here :)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member
I would plan to go to China when time comes...but is to the 2nd or 3rd tier City, Not places like Shanghai, Suzhou, Guangzhou.

some of these cities I went have sufficient stuff to keep you occupied, but yet not too crowded with local migrants, and with decent living standard, and where the Big city are just nearby, abt 2hrs drive to Shanghai, and 1hr to Nanjin.

:D

To remain here, unless our big boss can find a REAL new solution to rescue the economy. :pinch:

monitor the minor crime rates trend, and you can't imagine what will happen in 5-10 years down the road.....quite scary.... :unsure:

China is good provided they have higher standard of medical care at affordable prices... Even with a fever, the hospital staff will diao shui ...

(hook you up to a bottle of glucose)...and not to mention all the baby powder case.... they are made in china -- it is very exp to get foreign product ... and also all the fake money that is circulating ...

My wife got a 2 storey house in hainan ... she don't even feel comfortable staying there even though the toilet system and home facilities is alright .... it is quite ulu .... and life is slow ... probably become hermit after some time.

If you stay in the city then house and cars are freaking exp .... the cars over there cost as much as singapore .... some more don't have the piece of paper -COE. :lol: or else take public transport

Another case classic case , got another friend migrate to Australia ... cannot even find a job .. later came back to singapore ;)

• SRC Member
yah...indeed very picturesque... :yeah: but I only been to the South Africa and not the North. And Sun City is just so extravagant... :o

And boy!!! their helping is so huge...I remembered going for a safari hotel buffet and a whole lamb was put on the table during buffet... :shock::shock::shock:

Yeah !! ostrich curry is good :D I think capetown is a nice place to live in.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• 3 months later...
  • SRC Member

Yup...I can see a real incident whereby some 'high' poster criticised so much abt here to other places and yet come back saying by popular demand... :huh:

Lesson to be learnt, must learn to leave breathing space behind his/her back...otherwise pple can smell the farting...opps...I mean 'odour' :D:P

Why can't just 'shut-up' and stop playing those ego games so that one can post anywhere one like and not sound so hypocritical... :erm:

oops...I got to go and buy some Baygon liao... :angry:

I dun seem nice but can't be helped...I dislike pests... :sick::sick:

I advocate extermination... :evil::evil:

Yup...I can see a real incident whereby some 'high' poster criticised so much abt here to other places and yet come back saying by popular demand...  :huh:

:eyeblur: huh??

• SRC Member

Sorry, back to the debate.

If you want to move, physical condition (cooler climate, more green grass) is one thing. The other considerations you gotta have is-

education/ job prospects for children

element of integration and stability

work opp for yourself (if still working)

medical facilities (comprehensive and cheap?)

or else you end up where it is worse than Singapore. Someone once suggested why dont get a neat little house in a nearby country, and do short 3 month stay and then a visa hop back home?

I personally know of people who have migrated to XYZ country, only to come back to Singapore after a while.

the prospects of migrating over is very good at first. which is why the proverb is the grass is always greener on the other side. it means that from where you are, the grass looks much more appealing to you, hence you want to graze to that plot of land.

the is also another meaning to the proverb, and it's that it may be a sense of false hope.

I think false hope is too strong a term to use. but what I mean is that the people who come back to Singapore do so because they either can't adapt to the way of life there, or the weather is wrecking havoc to their bones.

like my mum's friends. they went to Canada to retire there, but came back two years later. they said that the cool climate there caused them a lot of hurt and discomfort to their joints. so yah.

my two cents. (=

• SRC Member

hmm.....grass greener on the other side meanin some pple juz dun hav integrity in watever they said? Tok macham fartin like tat? "Backbone" soft soft type....bend easily? <_<:lol:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.