Goniopora

vagabond

• SRC Member

gonipora corals are hard for bigginers to keep....... but alot depens on how u choose the coral itself...... must make sure it is opening well and all areas are covered by flesh(except the base)... dont not buy those that are showing abit of skeleton...... goniporas live in lagoons where there are mud alot of ot... so the water current should not be too strong..... and the water not too clean..... but thats not good for other corals........ if u get them..... try to put them on the sand bed... as this positon is impossible for it to topple down... and make sure nothing will topple on it....... general rule is choose the correct healthy specimen .... put on sand bed.... and leave it alone... and pray for the best.......

• SRC Member

haha I have been keeping my goniopora for 1 year plus already... heard about how delicate and difficult it is but have had great success with it leh... keep toppling and once even topple on my hammers and octos no harm done haha next day still open big big like before... last time badly position keep toppling on rocks one... and I handle it rather carelessly loh just grab the skeleton when the polyps not even retracted yet. still doing well :P I've known quite a few reefers with great success on this coral as well.. dunno why it's rated as so difficult... haven't had much solid evidence of how delicate it is yet.. but This is just my experience, it might be just a few off cases... :P

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member
gonipora corals are hard for bigginers to keep....... but alot depens on how u choose the coral itself...... must make sure it is opening well and all areas are covered by flesh(except the base)... dont not buy those that are showing abit of skeleton...... goniporas live in lagoons where there are mud alot of ot... so the water current should not be too strong..... and the water not too clean..... but thats not good for other corals........ if u get them..... try to put them on the sand bed... as this positon is impossible for it to topple down... and make sure nothing will topple on it....... general rule is choose the correct healthy specimen .... put on sand bed.... and leave it alone... and pray for the best.......

Strongly agree with you ... they need to survive in a water which contains a certain level of nutrient ..... ... I have no success with this coral ..still with me but half botah ....that means my water too clean :D

• SRC Member

Agree with ryz, mine also taken alot of punishment in my tank, flesh for my red one receded after repeated abuse, but now growing back and recovering really well. The other one also kena rough handling by me, but still opening up well. just make sure current is not too strong, it won't open up as big in that case.

• SRC Member

yep yep... haha seems like we are abusing them... haha no lah... sometimes in a hurry then handle them slightly too rough :P but after a while they still open up big big(twice or more of it's original skeletal size) Taken quite a lot f beating(drop on rock or coral and kenna sting etc) but still healthy as ever.... Just my experience hor...

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

I feel its relatively "easy" to keep which requires minimal care. :D But for my case i have a anemone shrimp hosting on it, so i guess the things i have to do will be lessen. :P Been hadling it quite rough too, but still opening up VERY nicely... :lol:

Depends on several factors, not least species, condition of the animal when sold and of course environmental issues...etc.

J. Sprung have spent some time studying this genus and has published an article or twon in the subject, with reference to the importance of certain trace elements. If my memory serves me right, They were in Advanced Aquarist online magazine.

Des

• SRC Member

yes... i read abt that article too...

in the documentation the author suggested that Goniopora needs magnese and iodide more compare to others. But you(normal ppl like us) can't buy magnese alone. But magnese is available in most trace elements products. I got the seachem trace element as their magnese has the highest concentration compare to some other brands.

my goniopora was once VERY healthy many moons ago... but within a week period, it just dwindled down to a pulp. i've found out a couple of things...

1. didn't do water change for 1 mth. Trace elements(magnese) could be depleted together with iodide.

2. Calcium is @ 360.

This is what i did : (STILL NO WATER CHANGE)

1. dosed trace elements and iodide every other day for 1 weeks. 2 caps (10ml).

2. bumped up the Calcium to 420.

after 1 week. this is my observation.

Gonioporas that is almost dead(skeleton left) didn't die. infact, to date, i've noticed that it is starting to grow back(slowly). Those that didn't open have started to open up and have longer tentacles.

2cents.

• SRC Member

i have one right up on my LR....6 inches away from a 250W DE 10kk MH

it simple loves the light when its on...will open up big and away ard due to the return pipe blowing at it indirectly..

and a small baby colony on sandbed...also doing rather okie...never target feed them before.....seems to love strong lighting...

but i am not sure lah...

both with me for ard 1 mth plus only..

• SRC Member

I haven't changed water for 6 months :P

my goniopora still very very healthy haha.. think It might have something to do with placement, lighting, current and nutrients it needs. not sure if it needs manganese or iodide though... I do add some trace elements once in a blue moon(once in few months?)

Live and Let Live