Review On Reef Relief Chiller

clowntrigger

• SRC Member

I have the opportunity to test out the new Reef relief chiller. This is a new Singapore made chiller, for more information, please refer to the following thread

Reef relief

The following is a detail write out of the test that I have done over the past few days, if you have any question, I will be happy to answer you on the performance of the chiller.

Tank size : 4(L)x2(W)x2.5(H) feet, 150gallon

Sump : 3(L)x1.5(W)x1(H) feet, 33gallon

Lighting used : 4 x T5, 54 watts each, at 7 inches above the water

: 1x 18w FL light for the sump with magnetic ballast

Pumps used : Eheim 1060 for return

: Eheim 1250 for chiller

: 2x Aquaclear 802 Power head for internal circulation

: Aquabee 2000l for the protein skimmer

: Aquabee 3000 for internal circulation.

External digital thermometer used : Rainbow Lifeguard

Chiller used : Reef Relief, ½ HP, display readout with no decimal point and internal temperature probe.

Photo period : 11am to 8pm, all 4 lights on.

Temperature set on the chiller : 25, with a delta of 3 degree. When the temperature drop below 26 degree, the chiller will stop or when the temperature reach 28 degree, the chiller will start.

Connection of chiller

Connection is pretty straight forward, there is no In or Out printed on the chiller, so no need to figure out which hose from the main tank goes to the In or Out etc.

You also need not use a hose clamp, as the unit has a hose clamp in built and is plastic, no worry of those metal hose clamp getting rusty.., just plug in the hose, tighten the clamp, switch on the power and the chiller is ready to rock.

Test Report

When the chiller was firstly connected to my system and power on for the first time, I am very impressed by the super low noise and how fast my digital thermometer reading start dropping, I am impresses

Well enough of all these words, let the figures tell you the whole truth...

Test result 1

On day 1, time started is 2000hrs(8pm), light on for the next 2 hours, room windows are open for full ventilation.

The first column refer to the readout from the chiller display panel, the second column refer to the readout from the external monitor and the third column refer to the actual timing when the test was conducted.

28 degree , 28.3 degree , 20.00

27 degree , 27.3 degree , 21.00 (light still on)

25 degree , 25.9 degree , 00.11

Time needed to cool from 28.3 degree to 25.9 degree for test 1 : 4 hrs and 10 min

Test result 2

Test is conducted on Saturday night, 14 Jun. Chiller running in the night without any lights.

28 degree , 27.5 degree , 23.11

27 degree , 27.3 degree , 23.21

27 degree , 27.1 degree , 23.28

26 degree , 26.8 degree , 00.15

26 degree , 26.7 degree , 00.46

26 degree , 26.3 degree , 01.21

26 degree , 26.1 degree , 01.37

25 degree , 25.9 degree , 01.55

Time needed to cool from 28.3 degree to 25.9 degree for test 1 : 2 hrs and 44 min

Test result 3

Test is conducted on Sunday, 15 Jun, a very hot day…..

Ambient temperature of the room : 32-33 degree

Temperature of the T5 light at 1 inch above the water surface > 40 degree(don’t have a mercury thermometer that can measure anything higher than that)

28 degree , 27.5 degree , 10.07

28 degree , 27.3 degree , 10.13

27 degree , 27.1 degree , 10.28

26 degree , 26.9 degree , 11.01

26 degree , 26.8 degree , 11.04

26 degree , 26.5 degree , 12.55

26 degree , 26.4 degree , 13.07

26 degree , 26.3 degree , 13.24

26 degree , 26.3 degree , 15.01

26 degree , 26.1 degree , 16.22

25 degree , 26.0 degree , 16.43

25 degree , 25.9 degree , 16.57

25 degree , 25.8 degree , 18.23

25 degree , 25.7 degree , 18.31

25 degree , 25.6 degree , 19.13

25 degree , 25.5 degree , 19.29

My intention for the last test was to drive the temperature to 24 degree, but due to time constraint, I have to stop the testing. Belive me, the unit has no problems dropping to 24 degree, just need the time. I am pretty sure that if I continue to test, I would say it will drop to 24.9 degree in about 45-60min max... Don't forget about the ambient temperature theory..... The above data may let you think how come the time taken is so long, but I can assure you that with the current hot spell, maintaining the whole tank at low 26 degree is really a big big challenge, some of the reefer is only maintaining their reef at 27 degree plus now as their chiller cannot take it to the 26 degree as of now.

Those reading highlighted in red are taken during the hot afternoon Sun. Take a look at my room, during the afternoon when the reading was taken, the sun will shine into the room and also the placement of the chiller, not much ventilation.

Conclusion

I am impress by the noise generated by this new chiller. The sound coming out of the chiller is soft, during the day, with the windows open, you can barely notice the chiller is working. In the middle of the night, like 12am to 4am where there is no traffic, the noise becomes prominent but still soft. The sound coming out of the chiller is low pitch humming noise, like those you hear from the olden days fridge. Unlike other chiller, what you hear is the fan noise and the compressor noise, very noisy. I have compare the following brand chiller, Teco, Slifigoi, Resun and NESW(I think this is how it spell), none of the above can come close to it, you can really hear the difference.

The cooling time is impressive, 1 degree per hour or less, that is fast. If you look at the above table, you will see that when the temperature approach the 26 or 25 degree range, the time to cool is longer. This is normal as the ambient temperature in the room at that time will be much higher, probably 28-29 degree in the night and 32-33 degree in the day. Well for the temperature range from 30-27 degree, I would say the time taken will be 1 degree per 1 hour or less. Anything below the 27 degree marks, it will have to depend on the ambient temperature and ventilation.

I am very impressed by the overall performance of this chiller, they should have come out this range of chiller long time ago for the benefit of reefer. This is one chiller that I will never hesitate and recommend to reefer to buy….. Keep up the good product, Dr Chill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • SRC Member
dr chill recommends either a 0.5 or a 1.25. think I'll go for the 1.25 horse

I advocate it... :)

Me using a Reef Relief while awaiting the Titanium Relief... :)

Impressed by this first generation RR that it still function so well and so silent. You wun regret... :)

But why 1.25hp? You another SPS freak like AT? :P

• SRC Member
coz I'm using a 1.3hp Eido now. and I'm trying my darn best to sell it. I would like to have a chiller that has a closer power to my Eido. faster chill time = less run time. (=

thats my philosophy lah.

True...true... :)

• SRC Member

Just got my 1.25HP Ti Relief today and it is definitely quieter than my 0.5HP Teco RA680 even though it is more than twice it's HP. It also runs hotter which means it's pulling more heat out of the water. Dimensions are larger of course and not as elegant in design as the Teco but who cares. If it works, it's beautiful.

28 to 26 degC in slightly less than 1.5 hours for my 75 gal tank. ambient air temperature 31 degC.

post-14-1072710834.jpg

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Just got my 1.25HP Ti Relief today and it is definitely quieter than my 0.5HP Teco RA680 even though it is more than twice it's HP. It also runs hotter which means it's pulling more heat out of the water. Dimensions are larger of course and not as elegant in design as the Teco but who cares. If it works, it's beautiful.

28 to 26 degC in slightly less than 1.5 hours for my 75 gal tank. ambient air temperature 31 degC.

Hi Tanzy ,

Any pic of your Ti Relief & the Dim.

Now I'm using Resun CL450 & thinking of upgrade to a better Chiller.

BTW what is the diff. btw RR & TR??

Last how much does it cost for your TR?

:thanks::thanks:

http://r3.fodey.com/1ae71ee667ac04b60ba931...3ec.1.gif" border=0 width="312" height="107" alt="Ninja!"></a>