High Nitrate level , Pls Advice

• SRC Member

In my opinion, changing water to reduce nitrate is the most effective way. However u need regular changing, not once a week. I use to have a 2ft tank, my nitrate is high too, probably i'm using canister filter. I did a 20% water change for the first time, and 10% water change daily, there will very significant drop on your NO3, hope it helps.

* u need to monitor yr LS properly*

• SRC Member
tks, i using Tetratest. the reading 100mg.

For tetra test kit, you have to divide the value getting by 4.4. Its not listed on the instruction sheet but you can see its printed on the box.

To confirm pls use another test kit to measure your nitrate. Salifert test kit would be a good choice.

Alot of people blame nitrates for most of their problems. But most of the time nitrates is not the cause. 25ppm of nitrates won't even kill sps...let alone fish..Check your other basic water parameters. My guess would be pH swings or sudden ammonia/nitrite spikes.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Nitrates are not the primary concern, especially for fishes. I find a lot of reefers are too bogged down with bringing down nitrate to ZERO which actually kills the fun of reefing.

Do your regular water change. Check for ammonia or nitrite which are more dangerous, even in small quantities to LS. How old is your tank? Were your angels feeding well? Angels are notoriously difficult in newly established tanks where there are insufficient organism in the liverocks for them to feed on. I personally gave up on angels for a while until my tank is more established. Now they are thriving.

So be patient, bro.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Angels are definitely not easy to keep in a new tank as the ecosystem is barely growing, let alone thriving. Most likely your angels died of starvation as 25ppm nitrates won't really kill them.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member

You sure PUR II does that? It looks like it is just activated carbon. Don't think it absorbs ammonia and nitrates. I bought one too, not convinced. <_<

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

hee hee I havn'e finish typing from my earlier post...imo , it does not realli remove nitrate , but remove the ammonia and nitrite bfore they turn to nitrate.... bought 1 personally but not much change to my nitrate leh, i will be testing out a new product soon and post the result in review soon..

Coralife Nitrate Controller efficiently reduces high levels of nitrate to acceptable levels and prevents the accumulation of nitrate in marine and freshwater aquariums. It contains naturally- occurring clinoptilolite materials that are well known for their ability to absorb nitrates, nitrites and ammonia from saltwater and freshwater aquariums. It also contains a superactive anion exchange resin with a selective affinity for nitrate ions

post-6-1093945300.jpg